Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mtech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
How does the CZ 550 Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby stack up compared to the new Win M70 Safari Express in .416 Rem?

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
OK, I have not owned either of these rifles, however, I HAVE owned almost identical models and have handled several examples of each of these. I also own a custom CZ-550 in 9,3 and 14 different Mod. 70s, including 10 original P-64s, 2 custom P-64s and 2 custom Classic STS models.

So, these are my picks as the "best" contemporary production rifles available at any reasonable price and both are ideal for some minor custom mods to produce a FINE "no bullsh!t" thumper for whacking really big and/or "ugly" game.

I would, after actually, a LOT of careful thought, choose the CZ-550Mag. in .416 Rigby. I would have one of the smiths I like here in BC re-work it to my personal "specs" and would get two pairs of Talleys, mount two Leupy FX-4MHD scopes and load 400 NPs plus some 400 solids, probably in Norma, WLRM, H-4350/4831, to just at 2400 fps-mv and then PRACTICE with the identical load but with 400 Hornadys, as I do with all of my "big" guns.

Actually, I WAS going to get exactly this setup in early 2010, done by Martini Gunmakers, Micky handle with a "Kick-Eez" until my wife was beset with her neuro-issues and I had to change our lifestyle. NO, one does NOT NEED this power here in BC, but, some buddies have both of these,shot big elk, nice Grizzlies and felt that when packing the Grizzly hide out, this kind of "thump" felt REAL good! smile

Plus, I just LOVE guns, what more needs to be said,eh!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I like the nostalgia of the Rigby... That said, it really would be nice if CZ just went the extra step on the 550... It really should be crossbolted properly out of the box, and wear a barrel band sling swivel.
My Safari Express in .375 shoots like mad, and the stock fits me better than the CZ. Both are lovely rifles.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Macs69
I like the nostalgia of the Rigby... That said, it really would be nice if CZ just went the extra step on the 550... It really should be crossbolted properly out of the box, and wear a barrel band sling swivel.

+1

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Both are solid, hard working rifles.

I have an AHR CZ in 9.3x62, a SS Safari Express in .375 H&H and a M-70 SS Classic build in .404J, no .416's.

To me, M-70 actions are smoother and I just like the way they look and feel. I like the M-70 safety, although the CZ safety is very good. Just what I'm used to.

CZ barrels are very good, look great through the Hawkeye borescope. Both M-70's and CZ's are good shooters. I like the NH M-70 trigger better than the CZ factory trigger. Not sure about the FN, SC M-70 trigger on a DG rifle.

I'm not crazy about CZ scope ring options, the M-70 has more options for scope mounting.

Both are pretty heavy. The Safari has a heavy barrel, especially in the .375 H&H, not as bad with the .416 or .458, as more metal is removed. The barrel contours are the same for all three calibers.

The CZ, reportedly, handles hot gas from a ruptured case better than the M-70.

I like the .416 Rigby, just because I like classic rounds. The .416 Remington is probably more practical.

Which would I choose...?

Hmmm...

DF

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have a stainless M70 Classic in 416 Rem (my older son's) and CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery that started out as a little 375 H&H. If I was going to buy a 375 H&H I'd go with the new M70s, for a 416 I would go with the CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. The CZ may need a bit of tweaking but you can't believe how solid they are. They are both awesome rifles. I have Talley QR rings on my 500 Jeffery and they are fabulous, hold zero and return to zero.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
mtech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Is the CZ's trigger enclosed like the FN M70's?
Is the firing pin easily removable by hand like a M70?
Does anyone have a CZ550 Safari Magnum with the factory kelvar-fiberglass stock?
I'm interested in one of these in .416 Rigby.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I happily own a tweaked BRNO 602 375 and was trying to decide on a 416 for my retirement buff hunts. I owned a Dakota 416 Rigby with all of the bells and whistles that I bought dirt cheap for an investment and did just that, sold it for twice what I paid. A fine rifle without question. I then debated the same debate you are and opted for the Winchester as it was a bit "livelier" for me. I bought a used, though near new, NH 416 Rem and swapped out the front sight (that fell off as I tried to center the blade) for an NECG banded sight, the rear for a pre-64 replica Jim Wisner makes (though the factory one one is a solid piece) and bedded it in a McM stock (which I would do with a CZ) with PT&D aluminum bottom metal to keep the scoped weight below 10#, the bare rifle weight. It all worked and I could not be happier, unless I were retired. grin

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd seen that one before and never get tired of looking at it.

Very nice and tastefully done.

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Model 70's the practical and better choice. I loved my 416 Rigby but it's a HUGE action and if you are going to go that big, might as well go up in caliber as well. The 416 Rem offers the same performance (and please don't buy into the pressure myth)in a lighter, trimmer action. The 70's shorter barrel makes it handier, the action is definitively better worked and finished out of the box. I don't care for the new "improved" 70 trigger,or the absured backward safety on the CZ. Bottom line is I'm a 70 man all the way but either rifle's a good choice.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't speak for the .416 Rigby in either as I've never owned one, and quite honestly the cartridge isn't my cup of tea. So I speak in generalities in regards to the two rifles in question (I own both).

Out of the box, I prefer the M70. The action is smoother. I prefer the safety. The weight and balance is better. The stock feels better in hand, and shoulders better IMHO.

The CZ 550 feels like an unwieldy club in my hands. Too thick, and too heavy. Prone to crack/break, so having a cross-bolt installed and a proper bedding is essential. The action is gritty. I absolutely hate the backwards safety.

I do however prefer the scope mount setup for the CZ. Cut out and milled into the receiver, I personally think it's stronger, although you are a little limited in choices. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the Talley QD rings for the CZ 550. Virtually bomb proof.

If intended for DG, it is advisable to have both rifles gone over and tweaked. AHR can address all the issues and concerns with the CZ 550 (safety, trigger, stock, etc.)

The M70 IMHO needs less work and $$.

Both actions make for an outstanding DGR

If going the synthetic stock route, IMHO and IME the ONLY way to go is an Echols McMillan for the M70. The stocks geometry is outstanding.

Several options for synthetic stocks exist for the CZ 550. However, none of the current patterns are very good. The discontinued AHR pattern from McMillan was hands down the best. Wish it was still available.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
FOst,

I agree with the M-70 and really like the Echols Legend stock.

One can have a tweaked, slicked up M-70, ready for prime time, for less money than a CZ, equally slicked up.

AHR does great things with the CZ, but their prices can become a hindrance.

DF

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Both my 550s have the 'forward to fire' (2 position) safeties and are only about 4 years old. Also, the Safari Magnum has factory installed crossbolts for all cartridges now.

The CZ 527 (short action) still has the backwards safety.

I truly do like my 375 H&H in the Safari Magnum, but if the Model 70 had been available then (2009) I probably would have bought it instead.

I always said my next big-bore would be the Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag so that's what I'd choose here.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The CZ's are big guns.

Outside of that, I think they are great. The safety on mine was not backwards, very accessible, and positive in function. People bemoan the trigger, and I thought of replacing mine, but it always worked and was actually pretty good. The set function worked great as well.

416 Rigby and up, I'd take the CZ over the M70. They are just cooler.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If I was going with the M-70 in a .416, I'd get the .416 Rem., although I like the Rigby better. I think it would take a lot of work to adapt a M-70 to .416 Rigby, which is a fat, long round. It really needs a big, magnum action. The .404J round, which isn't quite as fat or long, works well with a RUM M-70 donor action, just needs minor work on the bolt face, extractor and feed ramp.

DF

M
mtech Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good points guys. I currently have a FN South Carolina Model 70 Safari Express in .416 Rem. I haven't shot it much, but I'm tempted to sell or trade it so I can try a CZ 550 American Kelvar in .416 Rigby out.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have never read any sensible argument against the 416 Rem, all just tripe. With that, the M70 is the answer. I considered the Echol's stock and bounced emails with D'Arcy. I wanted a bit more drop in the stock to help with lining up the open sights, if needed, whilst still working well with optics. The McM I choose delivers spot on.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Ed,

Which McM stock did you end up with?

D'Arcy admits the Legend is a compromise, irons vs. scope. With high irons and a relatively low scope mount, it does pretty well.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FOsteology
I can't speak for the .416 Rigby in either as I've never owned one, and quite honestly the cartridge isn't my cup of tea. So I speak in generalities in regards to the two rifles in question (I own both).

Out of the box, I prefer the M70. The action is smoother. I prefer the safety. The weight and balance is better. The stock feels better in hand, and shoulders better IMHO.

The CZ 550 feels like an unwieldy club in my hands. Too thick, and too heavy. Prone to crack/break, so having a cross-bolt installed and a proper bedding is essential. The action is gritty. I absolutely hate the backwards safety.

I do however prefer the scope mount setup for the CZ. Cut out and milled into the receiver, I personally think it's stronger, although you are a little limited in choices. Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with the Talley QD rings for the CZ 550. Virtually bomb proof.

If intended for DG, it is advisable to have both rifles gone over and tweaked. AHR can address all the issues and concerns with the CZ 550 (safety, trigger, stock, etc.)

The M70 IMHO needs less work and $$.

Both actions make for an outstanding DGR

If going the synthetic stock route, IMHO and IME the ONLY way to go is an Echols McMillan for the M70. The stocks geometry is outstanding.

Several options for synthetic stocks exist for the CZ 550. However, none of the current patterns are very good. The discontinued AHR pattern from McMillan was hands down the best. Wish it was still available.

FOst,

My reason for liking the .404J so much, other than it's awesome history, is the ability to put that round into a mag length M-70 w/o that much alteration. Just can't do that with the .416 Rigby. I guess the .416 Rem is OK, it just doesn't light my fire.

And, one can load the .404J to match the .416 Rigby. JB popped my bubble on that statement, stating he could load his .416 Rigby up to .460 Wby levels. I was wanting to hot rod the .404J to match factory .416 Rigby loads, but he called my hand on that one. The .404J actually has a slightly larger bullet (.423" vs. 416").

To me, an action big enough to accommodate the .416 Rigby is pretty big and bulky. Some seem OK with that, so different strokes for different folks... smile

That's my story and I'm sticking with it... cool

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my CZ in 416 Rigby. Yes, its heavy. That's because its built like a battle ship! This is what you carry when you are going to a fight.

When I hunted in Mozambique, I was surprised that a couple of the PHs in camp aspired to own a CZ in 416 Rigby. I sort of figured they would want something like a Westley Richards double. They carried Remington 700s in 416 Rem at the time.

These guys hunt about six months a year and see a lot of hardware come through camp, and that the CZ in 416 Rigby is their top pick says something.

As a side note, two years after my hunt, one of the guys came to the states and stayed with me for a few days. In the interim he had acquired his Rigby and started loading for it. I got him set up with a nice supply of brass and bullets for his trip home.

405wcf

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (afisher, arky65, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.