Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I may be more selfish than most but my friends and relatives can go buy their own. My kids can transfer mine when I die. If I don't take it all with me...

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, maybe so. I have good friends that we borrow things too... and can't do that without the paperwork.

As to the kids, I hate to force them to pay more. Its about having stuff left over for the family, after you are gone, at least it has been with our family.

To each their own but I try to make it as easy as I can.

Right now, FWIW, the inlaws did not get their mother to divy up the land and money when they should have, and she is about to go nursing home with a LOT of money and land value, at least from where they are its a lot. It'll all go down the tube at 50K a year for a nursing home. NOT the way the parents should imagine it...

Anything that gives .gov more money is a waste. Anotehr 200 buck transfer fee when its already been paid once is the same.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TWR
I may be more selfish than most but my friends and relatives can go buy their own. My kids can transfer mine when I die. If I don't take it all with me...

Well the way I view it, is if I am out hunting with my friend or my son, they can have it with them or use it if we get separated. No legal issues and I like that.

Travis

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Understood but if I'm not mistaken, one of my kids can transfer mine for $5 when I'm gone.

I just haven't been one to borrow much and the few times I've loaned stuff out hasn't worked out that well. But I do have two friends that are welcome to anything in my safe except the can.

I just didn't feel like the trust was the way to go for me. I may try the corporation route on my next one but I don't have any issues with them on me.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know what you mean. I'm speaking strictly in the sense of worst case scenarios.

Like "Hey, I'm gonna drag these out on the sled, take the rifles and go get the truck."

Just seems to make sense for me. Most of the weapons in this house are pooled as the kids get older.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Originally Posted by TWR
How old do your kids have to be to take a suppressor by themselves?

I think legal ownership age is 21. Don't know how that translates to possession though.

They can't wander off into the woods with it by themselves. Unless they've received it as beneficiaries or trustees, they can't possess it outside of your presence. They can't receive it via act of law until they're old enough. Conceivably, this could be at 18. NFA prohibits transfers from NFA dealers until 21 (form 4s), but you can form 1 or receive by act of law (form 5,etc) at 18 I believe. Bottom line, they have to be age appropriate beneficiaries after the grantor is dead, or trustees while you're still alive to possess it on their own. They definitely can't have it on their own below 18/21.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Understood but if I'm not mistaken, one of my kids can transfer mine for $5 when I'm gone.

I just haven't been one to borrow much and the few times I've loaned stuff out hasn't worked out that well. But I do have two friends that are welcome to anything in my safe except the can.

I just didn't feel like the trust was the way to go for me. I may try the corporation route on my next one but I don't have any issues with them on me.

The trust gives you the option to let someone use them if you decide to trust them later on.
The good part, they stay locked in my safe, regardless of the trust, unless I am the one that decides another trustee can use em.

Nothing like being prepared, in case things change.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wanted to go through a trust but I wanted my cans so bad that I just went through the normal paperwork,background check, fingerprints, and CLEO signature.

Figured that I could always do the trust afterwards since I already have them in my possession.

Just get your cans and worry about the formalities later.....shooting is a lot more enjoyable with them on.

You always want to be near them while in transport to and from and in the field. Lord forbid that you run into a LEO with a hard on for the rules....

Good luck guys, you won't regret doing it.
For what it's worth, all of the class III DEALERS I've dealt with were heads above the normal FFL guys I've felt with. Get one that's been around awhile, well worth your time and efforts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lets see, the trust took me a WEEK to get.... wow that didn't take long at all. And was effective as soon as signed/notarized etc....

That wouldn't slow down the suppressors at all IMHO. well other than a week...

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
silencer shop in Austin tx.. has very good website.. with all the pro's and con's.... www.silencershop.com i'll have my trust in hand by tomorrow and orders on the way ...

Men and Rivers are made crooked by the path of least resistance....!!!!!!!
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by ck30943
silencer shop in Austin tx.. has very good website.. with all the pro's and con's.... www.silencershop.com i'll have my trust in hand by tomorrow and orders on the way ...

Silencer Shop is the real deal! They are great to work with!

If you need a trust, this is thr attorney that I used for mine! Hes a great guy, and an avid shooter James N. Willi jwilliWILLI.COM

www.willi.com

Stay low,
Calvin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats who I"m using. Wish I had enough cash for a 50 cal can too, before the possible change of all this crap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonzaga
I wanted to go through a trust but I wanted my cans so bad that I just went through the normal paperwork,background check, fingerprints, and CLEO signature.

Figured that I could always do the trust afterwards since I already have them in my possession.

Just get your cans and worry about the formalities later.....shooting is a lot more enjoyable with them on.

You always want to be near them while in transport to and from and in the field. Lord forbid that you run into a LEO with a hard on for the rules....

Good luck guys, you won't regret doing it.
For what it's worth, all of the class III DEALERS I've dealt with were heads above the normal FFL guys I've felt with. Get one that's been around awhile, well worth your time and efforts.

Another $200 stamp for each suppressor to transfer from an individual to a trust. I didn't go the trust route. My son will know what he needs to do to get a free transfer after I'm gone. But he'll have to have the background check, wait, etc.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
huh? unless you already own them without, and that I could understand.

But I'd never buy one without a trust. To start with.

I think you've noted you don't want your son with the papers now, and trust NO one else. Kind of a shame, but life can be like that, I totally understand.

In that case, its a no brainer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My understanding is if you own a suppressor and have obtained a tax stamp as an individual that the trust (i.e.: you) would have to pay for another stamp to transfer that same suppressor to the trust.

Not sure what you're talking about as far as me not trusting anyone else. My son is 10 years old. My only point is that the suppressors are not under a trust now and when I die, my heir can obtain them without paying $200 each for another stamp. They will be transferred tax exempt on a Form 5 according to the will. The executor will sign for the estate.

It is a no brainer for me to NOT spend another $200 each to transfer suppressors that I already own to a trust so I can continue to own what I already own.

Only deal with tax-exempt transfer on a Form 5 to an heir is that the heir must undergo the background check. But if my son can't pass the background check, he probably doesn't need the suppressor anyway.

ETA: It appears that the Executive Order will force the trustee to undergo the same background check as an individual. So I don't really see any difference in transferring on a Form 5 to an heir versus changing trustees from you to your heir under a trust. If there is a difference, please explain. I do understand that you may have the ability under a trust to have more than one individual have use of the suppressor�..but I'd rather not have anyone using my suppressor unless I'm around anyway.

Last edited by 257heaven; 12/08/13.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What I meant was yes, I'm aware you already have em now, and your son is too young, and since you don't trust a friend or such either, there is no real reason to go trust.

I have good friends that are like family on my trust as I"ve mentioned. They can use as needed, but only IF I allow, IE its at my safe all the time anyway. And makes it less hassle to me when they have hogs and the like, I can give them the suppressor, and they use and when done...

If I'd bought suppressors without a trust to start with like you did, then as I've noted, I really probably wouldn't be wanting to spend 200 more bucks either.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Be interested in how long it takes your approval. I've read a report that one guy was turned down due to adding a friend on his trust. Of course others have said they had no issues.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Will of course let us all know when it comes in.

I have no clue why a trust would have to involve a family member, and the attorney didn't say a thing about it.

Now I didn't "add" a friend, the trust was complete with myself and wife and then 4 non relatives to me, 2 nephews and 2 best friends I trust with my life. The friends are not whatever its called, IE will recieve upon our death, but the nephews are. The friends are use only.

WHO is on it should never matter. FWIW background checks don't bother me in the least as I've been through the reamer on those numbers of times. But the fact that a local LEO could then say even though you have a spotless record(unless you count a speeding ticket around 1986) but I still don't wnat you to have something you qualify for.. thats the kicker of part of it. Plus the fact of being able to loan a suppressor out.

And of course WHY suppressors are not common non regulated everyday thing is BEYOND me totally...

Plugging .gov is ridiculous often.

Jeff

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Supressors should be available over the counter or at least pay the tax after your first stamp and walk out with it.

It's a shame they take so long. I was told the wait is now 10 months, what did they tell you?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,707
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.