-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
just read some of his stories. Gooduns and can't wait for some new ones.

GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ghost
Herters, when around, had a lot of house brand stuff that was kinda junky,

Well sure but, it was always....World's Finest! grin

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It wasn't just the finest, a lot of it was "Herter's Model Perfect."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still got some of that "Herter's Model Perfect" and most of it still works. Maybe not as well as some other brands but it does still work. Interesting that Cabala's brought the Herter name back in their ammo line. Wonder who really loads it.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ChrisF, who ever told you Midway ran Fajen into the ground, full of it. Fajen had bought Bishop to get some of the competition gone, like Cabelas bought Gander mtns, mail business. Fajen had invested in a lot of new equipment etc, to expand, but then found the market wasn't there, and sold out to Potterfield, who tried to resurrect them.

ghost, your understanding of the chronology of things is different than mine. I remember getting the Fajen catalogs then all of a sudden they're selling off their inventory in a fire sale. Employees told me they'd been bought and new owner was bringing in new modern CNC equipment. All their old patterns were being disposed of. New line of stocks were a sliver of the former under the new ownership.

Read midway (pardon the pun) down the page for someone else with a similar recollection. This is but one of many.
http://dougva.proboards.com/thread/5341

I do have to stand corrected on one point. Battenfield Technologies, Potterfield's umbrella company for Frankford Arsenal, Tipton, Wheeler, Caldwell and Fajen was sold to an investor group. I was wondering why Midway "house brands" were showing up with competitor outfits like Cabela's etc. The sale was done to grow those brands appeal with other retailers who might have been leery of supporting their competitor.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/13/13.
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My Herters 12ga shells where made by Federal. These shells are about ten years old. I've heard someone else is making them now. RIO?

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I have no use for the man and wouldn't accept anything from him, for any price.

Yep.

And that's the way it is.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by haschbuck
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I have no use for the man and wouldn't accept anything from him, for any price.

Ditto....he has taken the fine art of gunsmithing back 150 years ....(Hint- his smithing videos are hazardous to your health)

Hell, old smilin Larry can do anything to a gun in a minute or less... That's the way it is! smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Still got some of that "Herter's Model Perfect" and most of it still works. Maybe not as well as some other brands but it does still work. Interesting that Cabala's brought the Herter name back in their ammo line. Wonder who really loads it.

The current Herters ammo is S&B.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It wasn't just the finest, a lot of it was "Herter's Model Perfect."

Here's some "Model Perfect" powder.

Dennis.

[Linked Image]

Those who call magazines "clips" and cartridges "bullets" ought not to be taken seriously. Jeff Cooper.
We might add those who call bullets "boolits.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reelman

So I assume that you also don't shop at Cabela's, BPS, Gander Mountain, MC Sports, Sporstman's Wharehouse, Scheels, or any of the other stores that knock off brand name products once they see them selling well?

Less and less so these days. This turned up in my inbox just today.
http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_M#action=share
It's a simplistic view of things, yes. In many cases, US made doesn't fill the specialized need...but in many commoditized items where there is a choice...hell yeah.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Originally Posted by reelman

So I assume that you also don't shop at Cabela's, BPS, Gander Mountain, MC Sports, Sporstman's Wharehouse, Scheels, or any of the other stores that knock off brand name products once they see them selling well?

Less and less so these days. This turned up in my inbox just today.
http://www.youtube.com/v/4FrGxO2Fn_M#action=share
It's a simplistic view of things, yes. In many cases, US made doesn't fill the specialized need...but in many commoditized items where there is a choice...hell yeah.

I watched the video and while the companies are partially to blame so are the consumers. Consumers also wanted lower and lower prices so the companies gave them what they wanted which they needed to go over seas to get. If there are two items the same on the rack and the USA made one is 30% more most people will buy the cheaper, imported, ones.

I know a lot of people complain about Wal Mart and all the stuff made in China there but they are just selling what the consumer wants. If the consumer wanted stuff made in the USA, and would pay the higher price, WM would gladly carry them as they don't care where the product is made as long as the consumer will buy it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
reelman,
You and I do not disagree on those points. The market forces are the market forces. What is the solution then? Protectionist laws?
I for one am actually looking at labels now.

Apparently others are as well. It's funny you mentioned Walmart;
http://money.msn.com/investing/wal-mart-turns-to-made-in-usa

Publicity stunt, or responding to market demands? We shall see.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ikesdad
Originally Posted by Skidrow

The current Herters ammo is S&B.

Brass case ammo is S&B, steel case is Tula, shotgun ammo is made in Italy.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sure wish I could get some more wasp waisted bullets from Herters, I've only got a few left and they worked pretty good on coyotes and prairie dogs. You young ones just don't know what you missed.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did anyone look at the pictures to go along with the stories? There is one where is laying on the ground with a bear's arm around him and another with a pocket knife and a crazy look. He really needs an editor or someone to give him honest feedback.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Maybe he just cant see thru those coke bottles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you're right wink I was trying to put into words why I did not like the photos and I was drawing a blank, so I showed it to my wife. She is not a hunter and she is not opposed to hunting and she quickly said, "He doesn't respect the animal." I think she hit the nail on the head.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Care to elaborate on that statement. All my dealings with the company have been on a positive side.

Retired Wisconsin Conservation Warden Life Member VFW and NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Same here. Been dealing with them since the late 70s or thereabouts, no gripes yet. Prices aren't always that great, but the service always has been.

Speaking of Herters's, been loading 22 Hornets for over 30 years with a set of Herter's dies, although they are a PITA to work with. Too cheap to buy a better set.

Received another care package from an old buddy this summer, who from time to time favors me with a box of stuff that was his dad's. This batch included a NIB Herter's case mouth chamfering gidget. Waseca, Minnesota. Still has the price tag: $1.19.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.