Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by ingwe
There is NOTHING wrong with the way he mounts his scope!

Nice report LBP�about as expected, I killed a little mule buck with the bullet the other day. 100yds, 3150 fps, recovered it weighed 60 grains�.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How 'bout some details? Shot distance, placement, how far he went, that sort of thing. I bought 1K of these and SAS's 1-10 twist Tikka. He included his load data, too. Looks like a shooter.

P

See the " Official 64 Gr Nosler report" thread on this forum for details. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I gotta give them a try, I'm tired of not having recovered TSX's to take pictures of...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would be concerned if I were recovering bullets from 60 lb animals. grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There is NOTHING wrong with the way he mounts his scope!

Nice report LBP�about as expected, I killed a little mule buck with the bullet the other day. 100yds, 3150 fps, recovered it weighed 60 grains�.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How 'bout some details? Shot distance, placement, how far he went, that sort of thing. I bought 1K of these and SAS's 1-10 twist Tikka. He included his load data, too. Looks like a shooter.

P

See the " Official 64 Gr Nosler report" thread on this forum for details. grin

Saw that you shot him twice, must have missed the part about shot or travel after shot distance.
Thinking about using the .223 on alfalfa field deer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
First shot he acted like he was hit too far back, and was contemplating going down the far side of a hill, second shot was anchor. He only went about 10 yds between shots...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I gotta give them a try, I'm tired of not having recovered TSX's to take pictures of...

Scott, I have a picture of the one and only TSX I have used. It was a 53 gr, I shot a whitetail doe in the chest as she faced me at approximately 60 yards. I recovered the bullet in the layer of fat under her skin above her teats. It was fired from a regular 223 at a MV of 3200 fps. The recovered weight was 33.0 gr and all the petals were missing. Actually, I forgot I shot this same doe a second time with the same load as she got up but couldn't really go anywhere as I approached her. The second bullet was broadside and exited.

My oldest son has used two 55 gr TSX and both exited on broadside shots.

I have nothing against the TSX's but in my very limited experience with three animals I think the lead core and bonded bullets seem to kill a little quicker, meaning they don't flop around as much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
that is a nice deer. I ran into the same problem with the .22 caliber 75 grain swift S2 which is supposed to be a bonded bullet. From a 15 foot high tree stand on a small 7 pt. 130 or so pound buck at maybe 30 yards which was not worth a picture it was quartering towards me so the bullet went thru the right high shoulder, angled down to trash lungs, no exit and no blood trail, deer ran about 50 yards. Found him because I listened to him leaving and followed his trail. I am back to the 62 grain TSX myself. They are not anymore lethal but they exit on a shoulder shot. The swift bullet also failed to exit on a small 170 pound sow I shot last year with a shoulder shot all animals recovered so the bullet works it just does not exit. The pig dropped at the shot however.

I think its important to distinguish in a bullet report if you say its a pass thru if you shot the shoulder or behind it.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Heres a brillant idea... You guys who want exits and blood trails, use slightly bigger guns. Its really that hard hard. When you use the 'minimum' tool for the job, you're not going to get perfect results! Use a 243, 25-06, or the 'gay' 270 and watch the deer drop, or run off with two holes and dumping blood. Problem solved!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never had a problem getting two holes out of a 53gr TSX or 62gr TTSX.

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Never had a problem getting two holes out of a 53gr TSX or 62gr TTSX.

See my above post about the 53 gr TSX.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Heres a brillant idea... You guys who want exits and blood trails, use slightly bigger guns. Its really that hard hard. When you use the 'minimum' tool for the job, you're not going to get perfect results! Use a 243, 25-06, or the 'gay' 270 and watch the deer drop, or run off with two holes and dumping blood. Problem solved!

I've only pulled one 22 caliber bullet from a deer (64gr PP). I've never had a deer stop a 22 caliber Barnes or Swift.

I've had deer on average go much further when shot with a 30/06 or 35 Whelen than I have with a 223AI. In fact, I've not had a deer go further than 5 yards when shot with a 223AI.

So your guess is purely a guess.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N

yes, but then overpenetration becomes an issue.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
yes, but then overpenetration becomes an issue.

What's that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jesus wept...........

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Anybody have some load data for this bullet in a 22-250? my powder selection is limited right now to imr4064, h380, and a little varget so i hope i can get results with one of these, I was gonna start with sierra 63gr data but any info would help. thanks

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dude270
Anybody have some load data for this bullet in a 22-250? my powder selection is limited right now to imr4064, h380, and a little varget so i hope i can get results with one of these, I was gonna start with sierra 63gr data but any info would help. thanks

I use 34.5 gr of H4895 or 39 gr of H4350. Sorry I don't have any for yours powders. I started with the 63 gr Sierra starting loads and worked up like you mentioned. Good Luck.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

.....but I'm affraid to use my "gay 270". Will it azz shoot everything??? whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

You know I also have a .308 150 ballistic tip a 100 pound whitetail doe stopped, and a 120 gr Cor-Lokt from a 25-06 another doe stopped. A bigger gun don't make the difference, shot placement does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've only pulled one 22 caliber bullet from a deer (64gr PP). I've never had a deer stop a 22 caliber Barnes or Swift.

I've had deer on average go much further when shot with a 30/06 or 35 Whelen than I have with a 223AI. In fact, I've not had a deer go further than 5 yards when shot with a 223AI.

There's no love around here anymore for the 64 gr PP I used to see people using it all of the time.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

There's no love around here anymore for the 64 gr PP I used to see people using it all of the time.

Mike

My boys have used two 64 gr PP's this year, one each on whitetail does. Its still a fine bullet. Forgot my hunting partner used one on a pronghorn doe last month up in Wyoming.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,410 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,147
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.