Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep. Seen it occur twice with rifles, once with an aftermarket trigger that wasn't properly adjusted and once with a Remington 700 trigger that wasn't properly adjusted.

Might be a trend in there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So long as man has free access to screwdrivers, triggers will "malfunction".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Miles is right on the mark - the Remington self-discharge he references was witnessed by many experienced shooters, and those closest to the action know that the unaltered trigger never was touched after that safety was engaged. When the safety was slipped off "safe" - - BANG !! That same day, as witnessed by some of the same experienced shooters, a Rem 700 self-discharged as the bolt was being closed.

Both shooters involved were being ultra-safe with their rifles, but the rifles not safe in the least. Note p.15 of the Remington video sticky.

Last edited by CCCC; 10/26/13.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO most of the "misfires" have occurred due to improperly adjusted triggers or folks unknowingly contacting the trigger when the safety is taken off.

JMO.

When Belk tried over and over to replicate a "misfire" on camera, he was unable to do it. And admitted as much.

When someone accidentally discharges a firearm and puts a hole in someone or something, the first thing they want to do is blame someone or something else........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Yep. Seen it occur twice with rifles, once with an aftermarket trigger that wasn't properly adjusted and once with a Remington 700 trigger that wasn't properly adjusted. Might be a trend in there.

Yes, but more than a trend. Good point - any maladjusted trigger, of any type, on any rifle is a candidate to bring about such a self-discharge. Then again, when this happens with unaltered factory triggers on a specific model of a name brand rifle, it seems to be a special case.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Miles is right on the mark - the Remington self-discharge he references was witnessed by many experienced shooters, and those closest to the action know that the unaltered trigger never was touched after that safety was engaged. When the safety was slipped off "safe" - - BANG !! That same day, as witnessed by some of the same experienced shooters, a Rem 700 self-discharged as the bolt was being closed.

Both shooters involved were being ultra-safe with their rifles, but the rifles not safe in the least. Note p.15 of the Remington video sticky.

Both incidents I saw were experienced shooters too, whatever the hell that means.

Just because someone has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean they have the first clue. Seen it too much, most especially with 'EXPERIENCED SHOOTERS'

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Never could figure why a safety had to be put in the fire position in order to open the bolt. What is safe about a locked bolt?...
Not all do. I have 2 Savages with 3 stage safeties. The middle position allows the bolt to operate while still blocking the trigger.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Remington don't either, at least not for a long time. You can work the bolt all you wish with the safety engaged.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Jack Belk is the last guy I would want "repairing" a 700 trigger. He has been trying to replicate a misfire for years, albeit unsuccessfully.

The only thing Remington is guilty of is making a trigger that isn't IDIOT PROOF enough........

[bleep] bullshit. Remington incriminated themselves when they redesigned the trigger correct?

Bu llS hit , Remington has the right to design a new trigger just like other rifle manufacturers have been doing of late. Everyone is designing a new trigger, but Remington cant, Bu ll Sh it

This year cow elk hunting, the other hunter accidently touched off his Re3mington Model 721 when he took the safety off and went to work the bolt. Except he had the honesty to tell us he accidently hit the trigger with his little finger.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Remington has been sued well over 100 times since the 1940's. I cannot find a single case they've won. They will continue to be sued as long as the defective rifles are still in circulation. The trigger used for 60 years from 1946-2007 is a flawed design that could fire at any time with no pull of the trigger.

I've seen it happen to a perfectly clean, unaltered rifle.

It happened to a brand new rifle submitted to Consumer reports in 1968 and was reported in the article.

The flaw was discovered in 1946 by Remington engineers who asked for a design change in 1946. That design was finally put in place in 2007.

The problem is the trigger connector. Most, if not every other trigger in the world is connected directly to the sear. Pull the trigger, the sear is released and the gun fires. Remingtons old trigger used a completely un necessary connector in between the trigger and sear. Under certain rare conditions the connector will let go of the sear with no trigger pull. When this happens the safety is the only thing holding the firing pin back. Release the safety and the gun fires.

This is not as rare as Remington and their lovers want to admit. Estimates range from 5000-10,000 incidents that have been reported to Remington since the 1940's. Only a fraction have resulted in deaths or injuries fortunately. There is documentation of 130 or so rifles returned to Remington in 1980 alone for this problem. If that were a typical year that works out to almost 8000 incidents.

The fact that your gun has never done it means nothing. I've never been struck by lightening, but that does nothing to lessen the odds of it happening in the future. My rifle gave me 20 years of perfect service before doing it 2-3 times all in the same day. It hasn't repeated the issue in close to 15 years and probably never will.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jack Belk is the last guy I would want "repairing" a 700 trigger. He has been trying to replicate a misfire for years, albeit unsuccessfully.

The only thing Remington is guilty of is making a trigger that isn't IDIOT PROOF enough........

Saw a factory new rifle bought by a law enforcement agency go bang on the firing line when the safety was moved from safe to fire.

That was in about 1995 or 1996 at Camp Ripley, MN.

The rifle had been cleaned and a scope mounted on it, but the trigger had not been "adjusted" by the armorer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

[bleep] bullshit. Remington incriminated themselves when they redesigned the trigger correct?

Bu llS hit , Remington has the right to design a new trigger just like other rifle manufacturers have been doing of late. Everyone is designing a new trigger, but Remington cant, Bu ll Sh it

This year cow elk hunting, the other hunter accidently touched off his Re3mington Model 721 when he took the safety off and went to work the bolt. Except he had the honesty to tell us he accidently hit the trigger with his little finger.

I had a brand new 700 AD on me...no trigger adjustment done at all. Safety moved to unload rifle..why would a finger be near the trigger? [bleep] morons like yourself think that only your opinion counts and that everyone else is wrong. I know what happened in my case and i know the gun failed. Hasn't happened with any other rifle I have ever owned. Never has happened when the trigger on the 700 was replaced with an aftermarket trigger PROPERLY adjusted AZZHOLE. To understand the problem with these triggers you would have to know a little about gun design which obviously you are clueless.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've shot more than a few rounds around folks with Rem 700s in competition, that have only worked on the factory triggers. Old triggers. The "unsafe" ones.

Some of these folks run 10-20K rounds a year in em.

No one ever talked about a failure in teh safety. Or the trigger.

I just feel that yes I won't argue that it didn't happen, IE the discharges. But it has happened with others. And the "failure" rate vs rounds fired has to be horribly insignifcant.

wont' keep me from preferring the old better feeling triggers. And doesn't really matter since I don't point the barrel where it should not be.

Its an axiom i used to teach in hunter ed. You don't need to know the 10 rules, as long as you observe muzzle control. Because a safety is a mechanical device, which can, and will eventually fail. Just like anything else in this world.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rost495
I've shot more than a few rounds around folks with Rem 700s in competition, that have only worked on the factory triggers. Old triggers. The "unsafe" ones.

I just feel that yes I won't argue that it didn't happen, IE the discharges. But it has happened with others. And the "failure" rate vs rounds fired has to be horribly insignifcant.

wont' keep me from preferring the old better feeling triggers. And doesn't really matter since I don't point the barrel where it should not be.

Its an axiom i used to teach in hunter ed. You don't need to know the 10 rules, as long as you observe muzzle control. Because a safety is a mechanical device, which can, and will eventually fail. Just like anything else in this world.

Yes I agree rules of proper gun handling are in place for a reason. That said a properly designed firearm that has not been altered by the consumer or outside gunsmith should not discharge when moving the trigger from safety to fire .

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And how many of these happen? Its not only the Rem that does it.

I've talked with folks that had old savage do the same and i've heard it from Ruger folks too.

I agree it should be the best it can be, but when your track record is how many bazillion firings, and just a few discharges?

Like I said, folks keep pushing chit, we'll end up with a trigger that I'd take and beat over the head of folks that did all the lawsuits.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It happens ONLY when someone adjust the sear to lean cause they don't know the way to make a lite pull correctly or try to go lighter than the that particlar tigger will do so safely

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
It happens ONLY when someone adjust the sear to lean cause they don't know the way to make a lite pull correctly or try to go lighter than the that particlar tigger will do so safely
Bull. My Dad wasn't a gun guy. He only got his 721 out a few days before the season for a few practice shots. He never tinkered with it in any way. He was a deer hunter and nothing else about guns interested him in any way. I know for a FACT that his trigger was never out of the stock yet it fired at least one time when the safety was taken off.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by rost495

The reason competitive shooters don't have 700s fire when they remove the safety from safe is that they never put the safety on safe!! They keep the action open until just before they're going to fire, which is an NRA rule.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I had a Model 700 in 6mm Remington fire when I removed the safety to unload it. Nothing had ever been done to the trigger.

The only other AD I ever had was a Winchester Model 70 and was my fault. I was unloading it in the pitch dark and, after the "last" round was clear, closed the bolt and pulled the trigger because I don't like to keep tension on the spring. Unfortunately I had miscounted rounds.

In both cases, the fail-safe part was keeping the rifle always pointed in a safe direction, though the butt of the Model 70 was resting on my thigh and it was a .375 H&H. Ouch!

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mike Walker {designer of the 700 trigger} recognized the connector flaw himself shortly after the rifle went into production and urged Remington to change it. Walker had already designed a new trigger without the connector but Remington refused to change it as there were already too many out there and it would have cost more than they wanted to spend to admit there was a problem and do a recall.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 921 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,919
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.