R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
9.3x62 is the real deal. It wouldn't be my first choice for some DG, but a great choice for a lot of stuff.

Here's an AHR CZ with VX-6 1-6x24, illuminated German #4 in Talley QD's.

It shoots most loads into an inch or slightly larger, 250 gr. NAB's into a cloverleaf.

DF

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle DF. And I'm sure you don't mind that you are in the Euro forum either grin...I think the OP just wanted us to share our thoughts and experiences. DF, have you taken any game animals with the 9.3x62mm. I'm still a newbie to the cartridge, but love shooting mine. Heck, I even shot it a couple weekends ago at our centerfire rifle shoot just for chits and giggles and shot a 100-3x with my old CZ 550 American..

Not that I would admit... blush

Haven't owned it long enough to make a legal hunting season... smile

Although some of these Cajuns down here often look at that as just a mere inconvenience. Hunting season in some sectors opens July, 1st and closes June, 30th... laugh

But, to answer your question, not yet... cool

DF

edited to add, folks on the Euro section may not understand my post... whistle

Gotta know these Cajuns to explain them, and I'm not sure I can completely do that... grin

Down here, it's not your deer hunting round, everyone knows it's the .22WMR. The question for discussion, how many million candle power are you burning... smirk

ha that's funny. boo-dan at de house yassir!!

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by realitycheck
9.3x62 is the real deal. It wouldn't be my first choice for some DG, but a great choice for a lot of stuff.

Here's an AHR CZ with VX-6 1-6x24, illuminated German #4 in Talley QD's.

It shoots most loads into an inch or slightly larger, 250 gr. NAB's into a cloverleaf.

DF

[Linked Image]

That's a beautiful rifle DF. And I'm sure you don't mind that you are in the Euro forum either grin...I think the OP just wanted us to share our thoughts and experiences. DF, have you taken any game animals with the 9.3x62mm. I'm still a newbie to the cartridge, but love shooting mine. Heck, I even shot it a couple weekends ago at our centerfire rifle shoot just for chits and giggles and shot a 100-3x with my old CZ 550 American..

Not that I would admit... blush

Haven't owned it long enough to make a legal hunting season... smile

Although some of these Cajuns down here often look at that as just a mere inconvenience. Hunting season in some sectors opens July, 1st and closes June, 30th... laugh

But, to answer your question, not yet... cool

DF

edited to add, folks on the Euro section may not understand my post... whistle

Gotta know these Cajuns to explain them, and I'm not sure I can completely do that... grin

Down here, it's not your deer hunting round, everyone knows it's the .22WMR. The question for discussion, how many million candle power are you burning... smirk

ha that's funny. boo-dan at de house yassir!!

Our Euro pards probably don't know what you're talking about.

But, I sure do... grin

When one gets used to good Cajun cooking, food from other areas of the country can sometimes be a bit bland... blush

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I don't know about that. I used mine to shoot the head off a squirrel the other day wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RaySendero
Any info/experience with the 9.3x62 Mauser round and its performance on large game?Any opinions on its worth? Is it in the same class as the .375 HandH or is that just hype? I already know the ballistic charts,i can read them,im asking for experience. Thank you for looking.

I have never shot factory 9,3x62 ammo. Always reloaded for mine. I did most of my reload work-up with Prvi 285s to save $$.$$ - Then switched to 286 NPTs. I never shot the Prvi at anything but paper. Also worked-up a reload with the 300 Swift "A"s.

I've shot both deers and hogs with the Noslers - Goes straight thru from any angle taking out all hind, muscle and bone along the way. Entrance hole is bullet size - Exit is 1.5" round. So far (knock-on wood), that 286 NPT has knocked everything down/over and they didn't get back up.

My 9,3 is the only 100% DRT rifle I have or have ever owned. I haven't tried the 300 "A"s on game yet, because I haven't found the beast that can stop the 286 NPTs.

Ray,

I've used the Previs in both 9,3X62 and 9,3X74R with very good results. They are among the most accurate bullets I've ever used. At the relatively slow speed of either round the conventional cup-n-core design has been fine so far. I also liked the Nosler Ballistic Tips and now the 250 AccuBonds, but the 285 Previs always shoot well inside the others.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, I don't know about that. I used mine to shoot the head off a squirrel the other day wink

You bad as these Cajuns... blush

Season ain't open... laugh

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I knew someone would say something. "Squirrel" was the easiest thing to think of so you cajuns would understand grin. It was actually a rodent around here that we call a gray digger. They resemble a ground hog, but look more like squirrels. No season on them and I don't even think a cajun would eat one sick

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I knew someone would say something. "Squirrel" was the easiest thing to think of so you cajuns would understand grin. It was actually a rodent around here that we call a gray digger. They resemble a ground hog, but look more like squirrels. No season on them and I don't even think a cajun would eat one sick

I wouldn't be too sure about that... blush

Enough hot sauce and enough beer, always a possibility... laugh

DF

edited to add, if you want to get rid of them, tell the Cajuns they're good to eat and the season is closed... cool

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/11/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I'd like those cajuns grin

Lots of people think the 9.3 would work just fine on cape buffalo, and i use to think they're right, but are they so many country in Africa where you can legally (it's not the bayou out there) use less than a .375 ?

Do you find factory ammo in the US ?

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=bsa1917hunter]I knew someone would say something. "Squirrel" was the easiest thing to think of so you cajuns would understand grin. It was actually a rodent around here that we call a gray digger. They resemble a ground hog, but look more like squirrels. No season on them and I don't even think a cajun would eat one sick

I wouldn't be too sure about that... blush

Enough hot sauce and enough beer, always a possibility... laugh

DF

edited to add, if you want to get rid of them, tell the Cajuns they're good to eat and the season is closed... cool [/quot

don't forget to add rice and okra. I saw some eating nutria so your skwerls wouldn't be safe..

Last edited by schoolmarm; 08/12/13.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
For me the recoil of the the 9.3 is easier than that of a 375. I don't think that any critter you shoot with a 9.3 will be less dead than if you used a 375. But that 800 plus less foot-pounds of recoil energy is easier on my shoulder.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
I think I'd like those cajuns grin

Lots of people think the 9.3 would work just fine on cape buffalo, and i use to think they're right, but are they so many country in Africa where you can legally (it's not the bayou out there) use less than a .375 ?

Do you find factory ammo in the US ?

I've used the 9.3 X 62 in Tanzania, Zambia, and Cameroon on buffalo. Kills them dead! I roll my own ammo, but it is available in the US.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunner500
Any my 9.3-62mm pushing the 320 gr Woodleighs to a touch over 2400 fps is right with the old 375 H&H. wink

gunner

im inclined to agree.Id say with solids in Africa,id try buff with it.if I had nothing else bigger.Or maybe even anyway. I just gotta get to Africa!

No on the solids for buff! 250 grain TSX is the way to go. I've tried both and the TSX puts them down faster. You do need to get to Africa and ruin like the rest of us. grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
For me the recoil of the the 9.3 is easier than that of a 375. I don't think that any critter you shoot with a 9.3 will be less dead than if you used a 375. But that 800 plus less foot-pounds of recoil energy is easier on my shoulder.

I agree with that and I like the .375 H&H a bunch.

But, it seems to me, the 9.3x62 offers a power dividend per unit of recoil, compared with the .375. Or said another way, it seems the difference is recoil is greater than the difference in actual field performance, if that makes sense.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the way i've found it, and many others agree. People who have hunted with the 9.3 X 62 generally don't have much controversy to argue about. Pretty much all agree it works and doesn't beat you up. It's not considered a "stopper", so nobody compares it to a .458 or .470.

The various .416's are arguably better for buffalo, but dead is dead, right? It's just hard to find fault with the performance of the 9.3 in the field, and is a pleasure to shoot compared to some others.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I've considered using mine on a Nilgai bull in S. TX, March, 2014. Either the 9.3x62, or maybe my recently built .404J, just for grins.

Either one should do the trick. Tough choice.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They need to have a little emoticon that says "bastid".... grin...Just sayin whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've considered using mine on a Nilgai bull in S. TX, March, 2014. Either the 9.3x62, or maybe my recently built .404J, just for grins.

DF

[Linked Image]

Need to know more about the build on those two. Looking good!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hatari

DF

[Linked Image]

Need to know more about the build on those two. Looking good!

Top one is an AHR CZ 9.3x62 that I traded a Spanish shotgun for. Nice shotgun, I just couldn't hit anything with it. I can hit pretty good with this one. It has a VX-6 1-6x24 #4, illuminated in Talley QD's and really likes 250 gr. NAB's with JB's load.

The bottom is a .404J with #1450 contour 24" Walther on a New Haven SS Classic, .300 RUM donor. It has Williams bottom metal in an Echols Legend, std. fill, with cross pins, is Steel Bedded with pillars and free floated. It wears a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 T* in Talley QD's. It has NECG red fiberoptic front, M-70 factory fold down express rear, set up for a Talley peep.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7785486/6

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Top notch rifles right there!

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Top notch rifles right there!

Thanks for those kind words.

I'm still working up loads for both. I went with the .404J because of its history and thinking it would do about anything I'd ever need it to do. Building a .404J on a CRF, RUM action is an economical way to get there.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/15/13.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 13,600 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,120
Posts18,542,230
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.