Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been using Break Free CLP as my main cleaner and lube for years without a complaint. I use Butch's bore shine on heavily used/dirty barrels. Many of my buddies use Rem oil.

Aside from copper removers, what are you using as a general cleaner and lubricant?

Anyone using NASA developed X-1R?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Militech is a fine cleaner and lubricant as well.

As to rust prevention, a few years ago I did a test (clean 10 penny nails in salt water) of Break Free CLP, Rem Oil and WD40. Break Free was the run away winner, WD40 was next, Rem Oil trailed both of them by a significant margin.

I'm not suggesting using WD40 on guns, just happened to have some on hand when I did the test.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Corrosion X would have kicked all their a$$e$.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There have been a number of powder/copper solvent/cleaner, rust inhibitor tests published in print and on the Internet over the years. Taken together, the take-home message for me is that all of them work best and none of them work best.

What has worked well for me is Montana Extreme products for bore cleaning. Plain water for removing salt spray and blood. Ballistol for wiping down metal and rust inhibition. ATF diluted 1:3 with lighter fluid used sparingly for lube. This is what it has come to after using more than a few of the products available over the years.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used just about all of the commercial bore cleaners and don't really have a preference. If a bore is really fouled, I use J-B bore cleaner and then follow it with something like Shooter's Choice or Hoppe's.

I then dry the bore and use something like Rem-oil, Kroil, Break-free CLP. Again, I don't have a preference, they all work.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you guys are serious about copper removal, NONE of the stated products are worth crap in that regard. Serious Copper/fouling removal starts with Wipeout foam cleaner. For general powder fouling I've used all of the above with some degree of results but I now use Balistol.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
CLP for Cleaning & Rem for Protection. Inexpensive & works for me.

[Linked Image][/URL]

Last edited by slg888; 10/29/13.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Barnes has a very good copper solvent, but they need it!

I'm more curious about lube and protect.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I (cough) inherited about eight litres of the old military formula Breakfree from the Australian Army in the eighties and nineties...it is the old pre-green and clean, and it actually works.

Still using it.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
M-Pro7 Gun Cleaner for lead/carbon fouling. It is the best I've tried, is non-toxic and doesn't smell. It is truly much, much better than Hoppe's #9 in my experience. The M-Pro7 copper remover is pretty good too.

For lube I like Mil-Comm products, either the MC-2500 oil or TW-25B grease depending on application.

Last edited by treefity; 10/29/13.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slg888
CLP for Cleaning & Rem for Protection. Inexpensive & works for me.

[Linked Image][/URL]

They do not remove copper.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am with Jorge on this one. Ballistol smells better than CLP and works as well from what I have seen. Wipeout foam is where it is at brother, even on barrels I thought were clean. The only thing I might add is an occasional pre-swab with Kroil and rare planet alignment appearances of bore paste.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have used Remoil once. I didn't think much of it at the time. It is long enough ago that I don't remember why. Of course I used Break Free all the years I was in the service and use it now on my own guns.

I have used several copper cleaners, but have settled on Wipe Out when I can get it. Of them all Barnes was the worst for getting the copper out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I (cough) inherited about eight litres of the old military formula Breakfree from the Australian Army in the eighties and nineties...it is the old pre-green and clean, and it actually works.

Still using it.

Cleaned up a terrible spill, did you? wink grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
MOBIL 1, 0 to-20 Synthetic. Better than any 'Gun" oil on the market

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GF1

As to rust prevention, a few years ago I did a test (clean 10 penny nails in salt water) of Break Free CLP, Rem Oil and WD40. Break Free was the run away winner, WD40 was next,

Rem Oil trailed both of them by a significant margin.

THNX GF1 -

That's the kind of INFO I like.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If anyone claims to have had problems with Rem Oil leaking, you can instantly discount their so-called experience because they are just dumbshits who either tampered with the nozzle or else squeesed the bottle or pressed on the valve when they shouldn't have had their finger anywhere near it. On top of that, if they had had the nozzle pointed in a safe direction, it wouldn't have been any big deal anyhow.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use:

1) Wipe-Out or Montana X-Treme for cleaning bores.

2) Gun Shield for protecting any metal that needs to be protected, since it lasts years instead of days or weeks.

3) Whatever oil is handy for a very thin lube-coat on bolts, along with a heavy grease for bearing surfaces like the backs of locking lugs, the lumps of break-action guns, etc.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rem-oil sucks on AR's, too thin. I like Ballistol spray for AR carriers on the range as it is quick and easy. A quick papertowel wipedown and spray it. Whether it is any "better" I can't say.

I've read the tests that say Break Free is tops at corrosion prevention and my experience indicates the same, but you have to keep re-applying in a wet environment. MD's Dyna Gun Shield is on my list to get.

Wipeout is tops for bores, IMO. Don't put Breakfree in the bore of a precision rifle, it won't hurt anything but it will open up groups a tad until it gets blown out of there.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
To make a more handy oil bottle, take any small squeeze bottle like a nose spray bottle. Remove the top and then pry out the small plastic insert. Drill a small hole in the center of that insert and one in the cap the same size as those little red tubes that come with WD-40 and such.

Cut of one of those tubes a few inches long and press it down own thru the hole you drilled.

With this,you can accurately dispense a drop or woo exactly where you want it or squeeze harder and you can get enough to wet a patch if needed

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1Longbow, 204guy, 300_savage, 43 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,534
Posts18,531,011
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.