Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azar
Question for the BoreTech users.

Most who use their products use Eliminator and seem to really like it. BoreTech also makes a "C4 Carbon Remover" and a "Cu+2 Copper Remover". How do these products compare to Eliminator? Is Eliminator the inbetweener, designed for both Carbon and Copper? Is the "C4 Carbon Remover" better at removing carbon deposits and the "Cu+2 Copper Remover" better at removing stubborn copper?

Thanks.

I use Eliminator for my regular cleaning. If I have a barrel that the Eliminator does not get the copper out of pretty quickly I go to the Cu+2. The Eliminator was designed to remove both copper and powder fouling. The Cu+2 and C4 are stronger formulas aimed at only copper and carbon respectively.

If you have questions, call Jesse Rambo at BoreTech.

405wcf

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK. A buddy that was company armorer of his Guard unit has a large quantity of CLP. I put it on a gun and 6 months later it had dried to a solid layer of crap. Maybe it was a bad or old batch, but I swore off the stuff.

I was Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B) at the general support level, and company armorer in my unit. It's amazing what came back to me with the words "it's clean." Guys either forgot their basic training, or just didn't give a crap.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azar
Question for the BoreTech users.

Most who use their products use Eliminator and seem to really like it. BoreTech also makes a "C4 Carbon Remover" and a "Cu+2 Copper Remover". How do these products compare to Eliminator? Is Eliminator the inbetweener, designed for both Carbon and Copper? Is the "C4 Carbon Remover" better at removing carbon deposits and the "Cu+2 Copper Remover" better at removing stubborn copper?

Thanks.

I have all three. In a nutshell, I don't think the Carbon Remover or Cu+2 does anything that would justify the cost over just having Eliminator. Cu+2 and other copper removers may be slightly more aggressive but Eliminator takes it out nearly if not just as well IMO. YMMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
OK. A buddy that was company armorer of his Guard unit has a large quantity of CLP. I put it on a gun and 6 months later it had dried to a solid layer of crap. Maybe it was a bad or old batch, but I swore off the stuff.

I was Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B) at the general support level, and company armorer in my unit. It's amazing what came back to me with the words "it's clean." Guys either forgot their basic training, or just didn't give a crap.

I've never had an issue with it, but it will thicken in really cold weather if there's too much on.

I remember you armorer guys, I think you had a triple jointed little finger that could contort into the chamber of the 16's, 60's, SAW's, etc. and find that little bit of carbon and tell us to go clean it some more grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M1Garand

I've never had an issue with it, but it will thicken in really cold weather if there's too much on.

I remember you armorer guys, I think you had a triple jointed little finger that could contort into the chamber of the 16's, 60's, SAW's, etc. and find that little bit of carbon and tell us to go clean it some more grin

One LT wore a white glove during inspection and shoved his pinky finger up into the barrel extension/locking recess area of the 16s. Back then I didn't have any of those "star" shaped felt thingys that match the shape of the locking recesses and cleaned behind them. I could have made a killing on them if I did! smile

I always wondered about cleaning inside the gas tube. Nobody did, but it seems like a bad place for carbon to build up and impeed function. I have blasted through the tube on my personal AR with aerosol cleaner and gotten some crud out of there. Nothing is worse than a battle rifle that won't run. Well, almost nothing. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

One LT wore a white glove during inspection and shoved his pinky finger up into the barrel extension/locking recess area of the 16s. Back then I didn't have any of those "star" shaped felt thingys that match the shape of the locking recesses and cleaned behind them. I could have made a killing on them if I did! smile

I always wondered about cleaning inside the gas tube. Nobody did, but it seems like a bad place for carbon to build up and impeed function. I have blasted through the tube on my personal AR with aerosol cleaner and gotten some crud out of there. Nothing is worse than a battle rifle that won't run. Well, almost nothing. smile

There are a number of older blokes sitting in front of their laptops shaking their heads right about now...I am guessing you do not remember the old ball, and pipe cleaners.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like I'm the only person in the world that uses the Outer's Foul Out method to really get rid of all the copper fouling. Or use the other bottle to clean out all the lead. After I use it, I wipe the bore clean and try something else to get the tube cleaner but it's just all gone. I haven't found anything that will do a better job.

Use trailer hitch ball lube with some moly mixed in on the back side of the lugs and some very light Mobil 1 in a place or two. Guns really don't need a monthly grease job.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Looks like I'm the only person in the world that uses the Outer's Foul Out method to really get rid of all the copper fouling. ....

No you aren't the only one, but it does seem there are few of us.

A while back I had a thread about Outers Foul Out. Several replied that it was too much trouble (PITA was their description).

I've had one quite a while and bought another for my closest friend.
You just have to give it time to work.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Wipe it off lightly after it has taken a set to the metal.

That "layer of crap" will keep that gun from rusting for a decade or so.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use Bore Tech Carbon Remover first and then Bore Tech Eliminator for the copper. It works so well I haven't felt the need to even try the BT Copper Remover. When I hooked up the Outers Foul Out gizmo after cleaning this way, It shows a clean bore immediately.
I prepped a half dozen rifles like this to apply Dyna Bore Coat, and skipped the JB paste.
I also use Tipton nickel plated jags to keep from getting false blue patches.
Very happy with the BT products.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

There are a number of older blokes sitting in front of their laptops shaking their heads right about now...I am guessing you do not remember the old ball, and pipe cleaners.

I am an "old timer." During basic training I had nothing but a rod, patches, and CLP, and very little of those. We didn't inhale or exhale without permission, and going anywhere to buy pipe cleaners would net you an article 15 or worse. If someone asked for something the universal answer was "You better [bleep] one, boy [or other moniker I won't repeat]."

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I am an "old timer." During basic training I had nothing but a rod, patches, and CLP, and very little of those.

No, you're not, 'cause you'd have had LSA and rifle-bore cleaner if you were really an old-timer.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Breakfree CLP,great on exterior and have used a light coat inside the bore .Left on for duration of hunting season in Arkansas(very Humid)no problems with rust at all.
Good stuff

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,691
Posts18,534,529
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.