Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone else seeing few birds?
Been out quite a few times now, and not seeing many.
Too warm up north to get em moving?

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/03/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We hunt SW Iowa which is only 35 miles across the Missouri.My son and his pards have been out to our lake four times and haven't been doing much either..lots of garbage ducks but I won't go until we see some pintails and red legs move into the local refuge..just way too warm up North.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Garbage ducks, huh? I'll take a limit of widgeon, gadwall, teal, etc. over a limit of stupid park ducks any day. Mallard pursits make me giggle.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by quackaddict; 11/04/13.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Quack, pretty pics on SCDucks of the dog, just saw them, nice legs on the ducks!

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks RR. You ought to hop a train on out here and shoot a duck with me.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by quackaddict
Garbage ducks, huh? I'll take a limit of widgeon, gadwall, teal, etc. over a limit of stupid park ducks any day. Mallard pursits make me giggle.

[Linked Image]

Doubtful you've hunted late season Midwest mallards,,that makes me giggle..

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted late season mallards...they're fun. But if you think that mallards and pintails are the only ducks that aren't "garbage ducks", you sure are a closed-minded fella.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You never asked what I consider garbage ducks either.We have tons of spoonies,coots,bluebills and fishducks in here right now as usual for this time of year but widgeons and gadwalls aren't here yet in good numbers,and no I don't classify them as "garbage".Our blue wings came through really early this fall when we were still in the drought and most are South but have seen some greenwing arrivals lately so maybe that'll give us better days to come..

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoot some coots and fry up some gizzards laugh

Bluebills are sporty, and shovelers sure do decoy good...gotta work out the rust before the real birds make it down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roger that on the tune up that's what the boys are doing but ole Dad doesn't need one! whistle grin

Woody
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hahaha. I'm thinking that I might be able to add a fat park duck to the strap this coming weekend. According to our bird counts, we had a big push of birds last week and that included some mallards. One thing's for sure...nothing will respond to a call like a mallard will. Especially a lone drake.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't put these on the wall if they were garbage. smile

[Linked Image]

Woody
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Up here along the border got a little snow last night and it looks like a lot more ducks moved ion last night. we're doing well, dogs tire and the dog is tired. Hunted the coast last week and had thousands of widgeon spread out as far as you could see on the eel grass beds, couldn't keep the teal and pintails out of the decoys but that's ok because they eat so well. Now were out on the desert and its widgeon mllards and teal. We've been doing so well it is hard tobelieve there is almost three more months of duckin. Shooting a cute little 20ga sxs and a Husqvarna 51 Hammer shotgun .

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not fair - up here we only get about two months at most, then the ice sends them packing!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea, but you get a lot more in your bag limits, and most of them are nice and fat off of grain fields. Not too mention they're nice a dumb up there compared to a mallard that has been hunted from way up there to way down here for 5 months straight.

Last edited by quackaddict; 11/06/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
8 ducks a day limit, some restriction on canvasback & redhead.

I do my best to not educate any that come near.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some reason, I was thinking it was a few more than that. I'll swap you a hunt next year...I come up there for an early field hunt for fat mallards, you come down here in Jan for variety and birds for the wall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he comes be sure to take him to Hatch for the green chili cheeseburger at Sparkies.

A trip to NM just for the food is worth it.

Hop you have more water down there than you did last winter.

Hope to be in LC NM for coyote hunting in Feb.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never had a burger from Sparky's, but their pulled pork tacos/burritos are the chit. Eat there after almost every duck hunt.

We've got a lot more water in the lakes than we did last year. You coming to the PM hunt?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are some good looking redheads right there. One of my favorite hunts of all time was down there just south of Port Aransas.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

[Linked Image]

Doubtful you've hunted late season Midwest mallards,,that makes me giggle..

Or want to really work... try em down in TX after everyone has shown em everything and shot at em all the way from Alaska on down... January birds here ain't nothing to thumb. They are educated beyond belief by the time it gets cold enough for us to have a crack at em.

And to think that often while moose hunting in the fall in AK, we walk right by teal easy shotgun range, 20 yards or so that just stare at us... I usually tell em to get ready though, they are about to be educated shortly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in and hunted Texas for a year. Hunted around College Station and Corpus. I would move to Corpus in a heartbeat. If you are an outdoorsman, you can stay more than busy down there year-round. I miss it.

Some trash ducks have shown up down here as of late grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by quackaddict; 11/18/13.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dude....!
Your pic shows alot of bad things.
First, dog is in the water already.
Second you appear to be shooting while dog is out there.
Someone shoots while my dog is on a sent retrieve out in front, Im whoopin someone's ass.
That is one thing that will cause one to never get invited again after they recoup.
Dog should still be sitting while shooting is going on. Dog should be sent to retrieve only when shooting is done.

Safety!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who cares, it's his dog and his hunt.

We train our dogs on delayed doubles or another bird shot while making a retrieve, it was even part of the AWS Hunt Test.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
will for one thing its not me, its the dogs owner and no one shot because the dog broke early.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love hunting around Corpus. I wish I could move down there. One of my favorite places ever.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay.
That's why I said appears.
And yes erich, I am aware of training. There is that distraction shot in akc and ukc hunt tests.
MY rule is dog is sent after the shot, and cripples dispatched.
Im sure you wouldnt want your child out changing a target and others start shooting on the range, right?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
and widgeons are very pretty birds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
that pic is so full of FAIL

To play the game, you first gotta have game. - Ike Turner

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking at it again, and the gun is up and there is a long wake in the water from the dog.............
Nope.
Not my dog.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be willing to bet that dog is about 6 jumps from the shore. I'd also be willing to bet that it took him all of 1.3 seconds to get that far. I know how quick my dog can cover that amount of ground, and it would take about the same amount of time as it does me to mount my gun and pull it back down. He said nobody shot. Does the picture look bad? Sure it does. Do you "holier than thou" folks need to bust his ass over something that you didn't witness first hand? Probably not.

If I remember right, Trap is your first dog...hunt with a dog for longer than a couple of years, and something like this is going to happen at least once.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
well no matter how many times you look at doesnt change the fact that Geoff didn't shoot when he realized hunni had broke and was going after a duck one of the other guys on the other side of him had shot, everyone stopped when she ran out there. she was kept on a tether the rest of the hunt.

i should have some pics with some of the duck dynasty guys when they come down to hunt with Geoff after the split.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love hunting around Corpus. I wish I could move down there. One of my favorite places ever.
don't think i could live anywhere else.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep hoping that we'll just win the lottery so I can move down there and fish and hunt 12mo out of the year...I guess I need to start playing so we can have a chance at winning.

I lived in College Station for a year and got to hunt down there with a good friend a few times. Hunted the mighty Mission, Shamrock cove area, and a few other places. Never got to go fish down there like I planned though. We moved out to NM before I had a chance to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
these pictures are on a spoil island in nighthawk. yup docrocket and kamo kari are coming down in jan for a cast and blast, we will be hunting/fishing down in the landcut for ducks, whitetail nilgai and fish.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Thinking the Bianco...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stxhunter
these pictures are on a spoil island in nighthawk. yup docrocket and kamo kari are coming down in jan for a cast and blast, we will be hunting/fishing down in the landcut for ducks, whitetail nilgai and fish.

I'm jealous!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Holier than thou crowd!
GFY.
safety buckaroo.
First hunting dog or not, it doesn't matter.
My dog, is a dog and makes mistakes.
Gun goes off while my dog is out there, a beatin happens.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wind was howling again today, it made for a rough ride in yesterday, had gusts up to 50mph.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BA5VQZ6Prws[/video]

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/27/13.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hard to beat a grey duck! My favorite by far!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Holier than thou crowd!
GFY.

Right back at you dog whisperer. The guy said that nobody shot. Were you there? I don't think so. Guess we'll have to take his word for it. Like I said, it would take that dog about as long to get to where it is in that picture as it does to mount your shotgun and then see the dog out of your peripheral vision.

Here's a question for you...what about those poor upland dogs that get shot over every day?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't say, in that pic a shot was fired.
I have also been waiting for you to bring that up.
In my experiences, one is close to the dog and the birds get up and move out away from the dog.
Waterfowl are coming down and low over the dog.
Steel has flyers, watch your shot pattern on water and see how many are away from the main group.
Just sayin, guys who hunt with me know not to shoot when Trap is out.
All it takes is one over excited shot at say a low over the decoys teal and a bad thing could happen to the dog.

Last edited by splattermatic; 11/28/13.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Found a few geese this weekend, in spite of the nice weather!
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Holier than thou crowd!
GFY.
safety buckaroo.
First hunting dog or not, it doesn't matter.
My dog, is a dog and makes mistakes.
Gun goes off while my dog is out there, a beatin happens.

Guess you've never mounted your gun to follow birds but never pulled the trigger.

I think on this post you need to lighten up a bit. If Roger said no shot fired, then I'll bank that because I personally know him.

Roger.. 50mph in my airboat is a SUCKY and DANGEROUS ride... BTDT. Not fun. But the hunting can be great with strong winds. Those are the days you can catch redheads with a dipnet out of the air...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
PS, jumped a pond on the last day of 1st split here. For once I did good. 2 pintail drakes and one drake greenwing. Where 25 ish pintails on the pond and 3 teal drakes.... got a bit interesting in the mix of birds...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a good couple of days in Currituck Sound (Monday and Tuesday) limits both days; Ruddy Ducks, Redheads, Wigeon and Mallards. Lots of Ruddy's, good shooting on the open water blinds between Corolla Lighthouse and Knotts Island, especially near Swan Island.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my pictures uploaded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nice

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 49 invisible), 2,927 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,373
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.