Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use to like brand new rifle's, now I like the rifle's that are 40 and 80 years old, It's like going back in time!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been one for magnums, though I do have a 7MM Magnum & 7WSM that I really like.

I'll never buy another though.

I like both short & long actions equally.

My favorite calibers are still 25-06 & 7-08.

I like a low mounted, 40-44 MM objective scope for hunting. Tube diameter doesn't matter as I'm not big on saving ounces.

A [bleep] trigger still doesn't bother me much if I can shoot it enough to get used to it. I shot rifles with schitty triggers for so long, I am almost immune.

I still shoot Partitions though Accubonds are seeing more time now.

If something burns me three times I'm done with it.

The only thing that has really changed is the shots I take on game. When I was younger I shot at running animals every season, now I seldom do it unless it's a wide open proposition.

Guess we get more conservative as age creeps up on us, tend to rely on what's worked in the past vs. trying new things and just get set in our ways.

Nothing wrong with that if what your using is still working. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've learned I like hunting lots more than messing around with guns.
Too much wisdom for a youngster! wink I'm less into "things" and more into "doing things".

As far as gunny stuff goes, I've proven to myself that bigger is not always needed. I've seen little difference in results between my 260 and my 30-06...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've learned that it is not he who dies with the most toys who wins.....it is he who spends the most time in the great outdoors!

Shod

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Arns9
At one time I snickered at folks who used 300 Mags on deer. I figured the excessive recoil and extra powder and noise weren't necessary for killing a critter that almost certainly would weigh under 300 pounds, maybe even half that. But after a mature, rutted up Missouri buck I shot made it 100 yards after having a 165 GK from an '06 put through both shoulders and absolutely demolishing his heart/lungs, I no longer snicker at the thought of using a big 30. I still use and love the '06, but can see the thinking behind using the mag.

I can take the 300s for penetration, but if a deer with heart and lungs gone by an 06, ran 100 yards, he'd run 100 or even more maybe with same destruction from a 300 IMHO. Maybe further because the bang part is louder still.

The mags have never killed deer as fast as teh smaller rounds for me. I've had many more bang flops with 243, and only one with a 300 wtby

+1

I've hunted Missouri whitetails with a 300 WM for many years and can't say it kills them any more effectively than the '06 or .270 that my friends use. I can count on one hand the number of deer that have hit the dirt immediately after getting smacked by my WM. The vast majority of them run 50-100 yards before going down. Nearly every deer I've shot has been tagged right behind the shoulder (I don't shoot them in the shoulder if I can help it), wiping out the heart and/or lungs.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Shod
I've learned that it is not he who dies with the most toys who wins.....it is he who spends the most time in the great outdoors!

Shod

Ooooh, that's GOOD!!

There's virtue in that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
At one time I snickered at folks who used 300 Mags on deer. I figured the excessive recoil and extra powder and noise weren't necessary for killing a critter that almost certainly would weigh under 300 pounds, maybe even half that. But after a mature, rutted up Missouri buck I shot made it 100 yards after having a 165 GK from an '06 put through both shoulders and absolutely demolishing his heart/lungs, I no longer snicker at the thought of using a big 30. I still use and love the '06, but can see the thinking behind using the mag.

I can take the 300s for penetration, but if a deer with heart and lungs gone by an 06, ran 100 yards, he'd run 100 or even more maybe with same destruction from a 300 IMHO. Maybe further because the bang part is louder still.

The mags have never killed deer as fast as teh smaller rounds for me. I've had many more bang flops with 243, and only one with a 300 wtby

+1

I've hunted Missouri whitetails with a 300 WM for many years and can't say it kills them any more effectively than the '06 or .270 that my friends use. I can count on one hand the number of deer that have hit the dirt immediately after getting smacked by my WM. The vast majority of them run 50-100 yards before going down. Nearly every deer I've shot has been tagged right behind the shoulder (I don't shoot them in the shoulder if I can help it), wiping out the heart and/or lungs.

it is really an instinctive feeling that if the deer runs after its hit, you need more gun. I've felt the reaction myself, and I can't even tell you have many hunters I've heard describe it to me. at the end of the day, if you don't want them to run, you need more shot placement, not more gun.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back when I was young miniguns gave me wood. Can't afford the ammo these days.

Fella can never have too many barrels.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

+1

I've seen this sort of thing shooting deer with 300 mags run a little bit. I think the reason is that bullets for 300 magnums are ,generally speaking, designed to handle 300 magnum velocities and are meant to be used on bigger, heavier animals that offer greater resistance than light boned whitetail deer.

So some bullets don't expand on the deer as widely and completely.The deer are dead of course but don't know it.

Frankly I have noticed the same thing with the 7mm magnums and heavy bullets with lung shots.

One solution is to shoot them on bone but some guys don't like to do this.

Another solution is dropping in bullet weight or deliberately pick a more fragile bullet but at 300 mag velocities you will tear them up pretty badly.We used to load 165 NPT's, which gains velocity,and I have seen that bullet drop some big bucks with authority from 300 magnums...it also does not tear them up too badly.

This all leads to a conversation about "perfect deer cartridges" but who wants to get into that. grin

Really in the end shooting bucks with 300 magnums,which,while fine to do if you want,does not really gain you much over some smaller stuff but it will still kill them pretty dead.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
it is really an instinctive feeling that if the deer runs after its hit, you need more gun. I've felt the reaction myself, and I can't even tell you have many hunters I've heard describe it to me. at the end of the day, if you don't want them to run, you need more shot placement, not more gun.

I've never really understood the compulsion to drop a whitetail in its tracks. In my experience, deer bleed quite well and aren't particularly elusive to recover when hit where it counts. I'm sure ten guys can immediately counter that, but I haven't seen it myself. Nothing wrong with DRT, but I don't go out of my way to achieve it.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've seen this sort of thing shooting deer with 300 mags run a little bit. I think the reason is that bullets for 300 magnums are ,generally speaking, designed to handle 300 magnum velocities and are meant to be used on bigger, heavier animals that offer greater resistance than light boned whitetail deer.

So some bullets don't expand on the deer as widely and completely.The deer are dead of course but don't know it.

Frankly I have noticed the same thing with the 7mm magnums and heavy bullets with lung shots.

One solution is to shoot them on bone but some guys don't like to do this.

Another solution is dropping in bullet weight or deliberately pick a more fragile bullet but at 300 mag velocities you will tear them up pretty badly.We used to load 165 NPT's, which gains velocity,and I have seen that bullet drop some big bucks with authority from 300 magnums...it also does not tear them up too badly.

This all leads to a conversation about "perfect deer cartridges" but who wants to get into that. grin

Really in the end shooting bucks with 300 magnums,which,while fine to do if you want,does not really gain you much over some smaller stuff but it will still kill them pretty dead.

I've played around with a few different bullets on whitetails in my 300 WM and found that the el-cheapo Core-Lokt gets it done better than anything else. As you said, it will punch a sizeable hole, but there isn't much rib meat on a whitetail to tear up and the blood trails are quite easy to follow.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

I've never really understood the compulsion to drop a whitetail in its tracks. In my experience, deer bleed quite well and aren't particularly elusive to recover when hit where it counts. I'm sure ten guys can immediately counter that, but I haven't seen it myself. Nothing wrong with DRT, but I don't go out of my way to achieve it.

I'm the same way. I don't get bent out of shape having to track one 100 yds. others' mileage can and does vary

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

What do you do the other 356 days a year?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
8snake I can understand it. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've played around with a few different bullets on whitetails in my 300 WM and found that the el-cheapo Core-Lokt gets it done better than anything else. As you said, it will punch a sizeable hole, but there isn't much rib meat on a whitetail to tear up and the blood trails are quite easy to follow.

A while back one of the 300 mag guys at our deer camp said something about how the deer still ran even though he was using such a powerful cartridge. I asked about his ammo, and it was one or another of the tough type bullets. So I suggested dropping a bullet weight class, and going to something like a Federal Fusion. He did, and the deer started dropping right now style.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To be honest, when I was young it was made clear to me that handguns are created to kill men. That was their primary purpose...

I had no desire to kill a man so I avoided them with great disdain.

Now, you'll never find me without one. My thinking back then just seems so asinine to me now.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
To be honest, when I was young it was made clear to me that handguns are created to kill men. That was their primary purpose...

I had no desire to kill a man so I avoided them with great disdain.

Now, you'll never find me without one. My thinking back then just seems so asinine to me now.

You weren't a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, were you?

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
they ain't no good for-uh nothin' else ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Hike, scout, fish, golf, ski.... laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Wimmen. Duh. laugh

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,415
Posts18,528,222
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.