Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I believe the purpose of the 2nd Amendment is two-fold a fundamental right, that enshrines the inaliable rights (1) to facilitate (and protect) the capacity of the citizenry to revolt against tyrannical government and (2) to facilitate the right of self-defense. I think there is also a right to own and possess firearms if for no other reason than the enjoyment of it. That said, this is my short list of reasonable and unreasonable regs: Restrictions that pass strict scrutiny:
Reasonable: Passes Strict Scrutiny

-Prohibit individual who were adjudicated insane in a court of laws.
-Prohibit individuals convicted of a violent felons in a court of law.
-Prohibit illegal aliens from owning or possessing (they're not citizens).
-Prohibit persons subject to domestic violence restraining orders only if there is clear and convincing evidence by specific and articulable facts, of a risk of firearms violence toward the protected party. If they are such a bad person, prove it to a jury of their peers.

Unreasonable: Fails to pass Strict Scrutiny:

All others.

That is my short list.

Jordan

Rob, it helps is you start with the correct legal standard.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
The other huge problem is that the Second Amendment originally acted as a prohibition only against the Federal government, not the States. Under an originalist interpretation, States were free to completely ban firearm ownership, if they wanted to. Only after the incorporation of the Bill of Rights did the Bill of Rights become operable against the States.

Its a tangled issue for sure.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not really

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not at all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP way of thinking is as a large part of 2nd Amendment rights loss as the brady bunch. All the while thinking he is part of resistance and doing the right thing.
Sad, where this country has gone, and is continuing to go, with thought processes such as these.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 700LH
The OP way of thinking is as a large part of 2nd Amendment rights loss as the brady bunch. All the while thinking he is part of resistance and doing the right thing.
Sad, where this country has gone, and is continuing to go, with thought processes such as these.

I am about interpreting the Constitution as it was originally intended. Its a simple fact that under the 2nd, prior to the 14th the States could completely ban firearms ownership and the Feds could regulate it (Read Scalia in the Heller opinion). The most libertarian legal scholars all agree that a correct originalist interpretation means some restrictions are Constitutionally valid (see Randy Barnett and Richard Epstein for two examples).

The thought processes which are problematic are the ones who are so incredibly ignorant as to deny actual historical truth. A supposed conservative who denies the actual truth to permit himself to pour his subjective meaning into the Constitution to reach his desired ends is no different than a liberal who does the same thing. So who is really damaging the Constitution?

The second amendments rights loss has derived primarily from the refusal of the courts to interpret the amendment as protecting an individual right. That changed with Heller, but even Heller is tepid: it does not recognize the 2nd as protecting a right of revolution per se. The individual rights interpretation is correct because it is consonant with the historical truth. You cannot accept historical, constitutional truths when it suits you and then deny them when it doesn't.

The reasonable regulations of firearms ownership which are Constitutionally permitted are actually quite tepid, if we understand them correctly. We would be far, far better off arguing for the historical truth, then denying it and losing all credibility.

Last edited by RobJordan; 11/09/13.

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You sir are part of the problem.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 700LH

I am about interpreting the Constitution as it was originally intended. Its a simple fact that under the 2nd, prior to the 14th the States could completely ban firearms ownership and the Feds could regulate it (Read Scalia in the Heller opinion). The most libertarian legal scholars all agree that a correct originalist interpretation means some restrictions are Constitutionally valid (see Randy Barnett and Richard Epstein for two examples).

The thought processes which are problematic are the ones who are so incredibly ignorant as to deny actual historical truth. A supposed conservative who denies the actual truth to permit himself to pour his subjective meaning into the Constitution to reach his desired ends is no different than a liberal who does the same thing. So who is really damaging the Constitution?

The second amendments rights loss has derived primarily from the refusal of the courts to interpret the amendment as protecting an individual right. That changed with Heller, but even Heller is tepid: it does not recognize the 2nd as protecting a right of revolution per se. The individual rights interpretation is correct because it is consonant with the historical truth. You cannot accept historical, constitutional truths when it suits you and then deny them when it doesn't.

The reasonable regulations of firearms ownership which are Constitutionally permitted are actually quite tepid, if we understand them correctly. We would be far, far better off arguing for the historical truth, then denying it and losing all credibility.

Really. If the FED authority to restrict the possession of firearms was so clear, then why was the as of '34 set up as a tax?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Exactly!

Shall not be infringed - sounds pretty definitive to me.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What's "unreasonable" is the consistent failure to read the English language. What's to be "well regulated" is the "militia",
meaning an army of citizens, which is what the US military is.
The need for the militia to be regulated-controlled and directed
by a standard or principle or rule- is what the amendment addresses.
The peoples' right to have & carry arms is to control/direct the
military-type actions, both by providing personnel to the militia, and resisting, if necessary.
Regulating the right isn't the issue at all. Regulating the government's actions, or potential mis-actions, is the issue.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
reasonable = 0

that ain't an O its a zero

unreasonable, all of them

shall not be infringed always seemed pretty clear to me

Randy nailed it.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
In that case, so is Stephen Halbrook, Randy Barnett, Richard Epstein, Antonin Scalia, Clarance Thomas, Eugene Volokh and virtually every single libertarian and conservative Constitutional scholar out there, because, examining the historical record, all of them agree that the Framers intended some regulation of firearms ownership to be permissible. Gawd, the level of constitutional and historical ignorance in this thread is appalling. Hell, the Framers intended for the States to have the right to ban firearms ownership outright because they intended the Bill of Rights to be applicable to the Federal government only. Do you all realize that?

The only reason the Court (any federal court) has even been able to address state infringement on firearms rights is because of the incorporation and the Bill of Rights. Thank heaven for that, but those are events which occurred nearly a 100 years after ratification of the original Constitution.

Last edited by RobJordan; 11/09/13.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In that case, so is Stephen Halbrook, Randy Barnett, Richard Epstein, Antonin Scalia, Clarance Thomas, Eugene Volokh and virtually every single libertarian and conservative Constitutional scholar out there, because, examining the historical record, all of them agree that the Framers intended some regulation of firearms ownership to be permissible. Gawd, the level of constitutional and historical ignorance in this thread is appalling. Hell, the Framers intended for the States to have the right to ban firearms ownership outright because they intended the Bill of Rights to be applicable to the Federal government only. Do you all realize that?

The only reason the Court (any federal court) has even been able to address state infringement on firearms rights is because of the incorporation and the Bill of Rights. Thank heaven for that, but those are events which occurred nearly a 100 years after ratification of the original Constitution.

You still haven't answered my question.

Why was the Act of '34 set up as a tax?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't know anything about the act of 34. Edumicate me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think that was the Tommy Gun thingy.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Don't know anything about the act of 34. Edumicate me.

You claim to teach us about the legal history of gun laws in this country and you are not familiar with the National Firearms Act of 1934, and why it was set up as a tax? (hint, the only way 0care was declared constitutional is because it was declared a tax.)

While you are at it, you should also study the history of the Sullivan Act, who got it passed, and who it was intended to protect, and the history of race based gun laws passed in the South following the Civil War.

In addition, if you are going to quote from the Heller decision, I suggest you quote from Scalia's majority opinion, and not Breyer's dissenting opinion.

You also need to study Wickard v. Filburn, how it expanded the scope of the Commerce Clause and enabled the GCA of '68.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 11/09/13.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The other huge problem is that the Second Amendment originally acted as a prohibition only against the Federal government, not the States. Under an originalist interpretation, States were free to completely ban firearm ownership, if they wanted to. Only after the incorporation of the Bill of Rights did the Bill of Rights become operable against the States.

In a sense this is correct, but in light of the actual history it's a little off the mark. That's because all the states already recognized it as a fundamental right of free men, codified in the various state constitutions. Their concern was that the new Federal Government would some day seek to interfere with that fundamental right, thus the states all demanded a Second Amendment be placed in the Bill of Rights to prevent that from happening.

The Federalists tried to explain to those concerned about this issue that the new Federal Government was not being delegated any power over such matters to start with, and never would be in the future, so didn't need an explicit protection of this right. But while those concerned about this question agreed with that premise, they felt they could never be completely sure how the US Constitution might be disingenuously "interpreted" in the future, so they demanded this extra measure just to be sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have LET the gov't "infringe" for so long now, that have become a nation that is conditioned to liberalism propaganda.

I wonder if you start "infringing" on the rest of the amendments as has been done on the 2nd, how long it would take to see that viewed as unconstitutional?

The Constitution is clear enough already.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
We have LET the gov't "infringe" for so long now, that have become a nation that is conditioned to liberalism propaganda.

I wonder if you start "infringing" on the rest of the amendments as has been done on the 2nd, how long it would take to see that viewed as unconstitutional?

The Constitution is clear enough already.
Most of the rights guaranteed in the Bill of Rights have been regularly infringed upon for a very long time now. If the Fourth Amendment, for example, were applied as written and intended, most of what cops routinely do today would be illegal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
what a stupid question. There are NO restrictions to the Second Amendment that are 'reasonable'. Period.
That we have restrictions just shows how many traitors have been elected through the years.

Sam......

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (44mc, 35, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, Akhutr, 16 invisible), 1,291 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,150
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.