Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like Mathews bows, not all of them but I don't feel the need to buy a bow every year
I started with the MQ 32 ran that for a long while then the Outback(which I still have ) and Now have the Heli-m
It will be a few more years before I feel the need to buy new

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ill say it again....Mathews is a quality product. While Im just starting to get my tuning business going, I have worked on more of their bows than any other. With the exception of my Bowtech and my wife's Diamond, thats all I have worked on. 5 so far. Thats whats here...Mathews. They all tune well. They are quiet. Very little to no hand shock. We are about to the limits of technology with archery. 400fps may be doable, but doubtful the bow will be a pleasure to shoot. The wheel can only be reinvented so many times lol. And as stated before, if Mathews has a bow that is "great", tweak it or refine it or whatever. But advertise it as such. Dont sell yesterdays news for "the next great thing in archery". Listen to what customers want. That is why I and many many others(a little searching will verify this) view their 2014 release as a FLOP. They not only have been caught, but passed up. And I firmly believe until they do offer something new, their sales will continue to decline

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Only killed one thing personally with a bow, but it had no idea whether or not it was a brand new bow, or a Bowtech from 2006....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Only killed one thing personally with a bow, but it had no idea whether or not it was a brand new bow, or a Bowtech from 2006....

True that.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Creed XS.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bowsite review.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Bows are much cheaper than guns, so I have tried several new bows over the years. My first new bow was a Hoyt Trykon. It shot well and I killed a few deer with it.

While I was in a sporting goods store, I tried the Mathews Drenalin and found it smoother, lighter and more quiet, so I bought it. Then Mathews came out with the Z-7 and I bought it. Then they came out with the Heli-M and I got it.

I was able to sell each bow within a reasonable price compared to what I paid for it, so I wasn't out a ton of money.

This past year I tried both the Chill and the Creed and even though the single cam usually is smoother and easier to pull, the new Chill was, in my view, better, so I bought it.

All that said and done, it is my feeling that the Chill is indeed a better bow than any of the rest. The Drenalin was the best of the bunch for it's timing, but they have improved the dynamics of these bows.

Mathews has done a good job staying competitive in this aggressive market and if you shoot the Chill along with any of the previous bows, you will notice fantastic handling, no hand shock, and a very smooth draw and rock solid back wall.

I would say Mathews is far from a flop...

Cheaper than guns? I'm not so sure about that. Around here the standard deer rifle is a Remington M7400 with some POS scope on it and the average new bow is close to a $1500 package. They keep the gun their whole life and get a new bow every couple years. The gun looses a little bit of value and the bow is pretty much worthless after 3 years. GO FIGURE!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why are most bowhunters so fickle and lack confidence?

I've been shoot the same Hoyt Magna-Ted for over 15yrs. It stills shoots a 480+ grain arrow at 275fps, is more accurate than needed, draws smoothly with it's 2 cams, and kills deer just as dead today as it did in 1998.

Do gun hunters constantly sell a perfectly good 30-06 Ruger for a new 30-06 ruger? The same model 70 sold in the 50s will kill deer just as dead in the 21st century.

Why do bow "nuts" think differently? As long as I can continue to pull and aim my Magna-Tec, it will be my hunting bow.

Unless people forgot, bowhunting is meant to be a SHORT RANGE pursuit. It doesn't take much to kill a deer under 40yds. If you need to shoot further than that, learn how to hunt.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 11/08/13.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Never understood why so many people buy a new bow, then the following year they sell it and buy the "latest and greatest" and they do it every year.

I was a die hard Reflex guy for years because it just worked for me, then my buddy talked me into shooting a Mathews Drenalin LD. To say I was hooked is an understatement. The following week I bought a 8 month old Drenalin LD for about half of what the guy paid for it (he wanted to buy the latest and greatest).

I don't see me ever selling that bow as it shoots lights out for me. YMMV.

Me too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Bows are much cheaper than the guns YOU shoot, you mean. smile

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Bowsite review.

Anyone ever pick up the head of a fresh dead buck and have the eyelids closed?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nope

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eyeball
Bows are much cheaper than the guns YOU shoot, you mean. smile

O.K. but I still think the Mathews is a long way from a flop...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I shoot a z7 extreme ,fast ,accurate,forgiving .A friend of mine works at a bow shop and tells me that from the helium forward Matthews hasn't introduced a new bow that was worth a darn

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The creed is pretty nice. I wouldn't have upgraded to it from the year before's bow, but it was a definite step up (as were the other 2013 models I shot) from my 2005 model bow, which was a very good bow.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dmsbandit

I've been shoot the same Hoyt Magna-Ted for over 15yrs. It stills shoots a 480+ grain arrow at 275fps, is more accurate than needed, draws smoothly with it's 2 cams, and kills deer just as dead today as it did in 1998.

Do gun hunters constantly sell a perfectly good 30-06 Ruger for a new 30-06 ruger? The same model 70 sold in the 50s will kill deer just as dead in the 21st century.

Why do bow "nuts" think differently? As long as I can continue to pull and aim my Magna-Tec, it will be my hunting bow.

Unless people forgot, bowhunting is meant to be a SHORT RANGE pursuit. It doesn't take much to kill a deer under 40yds. If you need to shoot further than that, learn how to hunt.

Well, you are comparing apples to oranges as the technology and advancement in bows is significantly different than rifles.

There hasn't been many ground breaking changes in rifle technology in a long time, while bows have made considerable advancements in the last 10.

I don't see the need for buying a bow every year, but I've got bows from the late 90's and they aren't in the same class as the most budget equipment out today.

And you spend some time in my neck of the woods and shooting an elk at over 40 certainly is well within the bounds of good hunting. This is where individual experience isn't really a telling indicator of what is acceptable for everyone else.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Plus you have to look at big picture. What was put out this year and what was discontinued. And did they replace/upgrade the discontinued ones? The MR 6&7 were discontinued. Were any significant "new" advancements made with the "new" releases? How does what Mathews put out compare(variety/spec wise) with what the other manufacturers have released so far?

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dtspoke

And you spend some time in my neck of the woods and shooting an elk at over 40 certainly is well within the bounds of good hunting. This is where individual experience isn't really a telling indicator of what is acceptable for everyone else.

I wonder how Fred Bear and others managed to kill those elk with a recurve, past and present? The Indians also managed to kill more than a few elk with their "long" bows. Like I've said numerous times, I think too many of today's "hunters" are lazy and looking for technology to make up for their lack of woodmanship/hunting skill.

Just like a lot of rifle "hunters" who insist you need to shoot 500-1000yds to kill western game, any bow "hunter" that says you need to shoot over 50yds at unwounded game, needs to practice hunting more.

sorry if that offends you, but if more people thought like that, hunting would be held in a better light by the non-hunting public.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. But unfortunately that isnt the case. Technology and the need for speed is what drives the archery industry right now

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dtspoke

I wonder how Fred Bear and others managed to kill those elk with a recurve, past and present? The Indians also managed to kill more than a few elk with their "long" bows. Like I've said numerous times, I think too many of today's "hunters" are lazy and looking for technology to make up for their lack of woodmanship/hunting skill.

Just like a lot of rifle "hunters" who insist you need to shoot 500-1000yds to kill western game, any bow "hunter" that says you need to shoot over 50yds at unwounded game, needs to practice hunting more.

sorry if that offends you, but if more people thought like that, hunting would be held in a better light by the non-hunting public.

Not offended, it's just a significant overstatement. I'm not advocating long range anything and I question your experience.

If you shoot a compound or a rifle, then don't compare yourself to Bear or Indians. And if modern equipment was made available to them, I doubt they would be so finicky.

Maybe you need to get inside 40, but thankfully I don't, specifically with elk. 55 is about where I stop, but that's not a big stretch.

And the non-hunting public is not in the least concerned whether I shoot elk 15 yards beyond what you are comfortable. It takes good woodcraft, knowledge, and ability to close the distance to bow range and I don't apologize one bit for my ability to reach out further with better equipment.

Heck, I just hunted. In Alabama and shot a deer opening archery from a tree stand at 37 yards. I'm not sure what great skill I would have used to close that distance from a tree stand.

The skill I used was just holding still an extra few minutes.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,655
Posts18,493,483
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.