Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Best place to find the APCU pants by proper? I didn't see them on uscav when I looked earlier.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Best place to find the APCU pants by proper? I didn't see them on uscav when I looked earlier.

Contract overruns were all over the net a year ago when I scarfed all my APCU stuff up. Be advised they run small. I can wear small regular BDU's but I couldn't even get the small APCU pants over my butt so my daughter has some nice snowshoeing pants.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Marmot Scree. Wore them in CO last week. Will do a post about them soon. I imagine this is what the KUIU Attacks are like, but cheaper and in solid colors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by castandblast
How do they breathe on a hard climb?

I live in the south and as such have only worn them for walk-abouts. I have used the Cabela's Microtex a fair amount and I'd rate them as about equally warm, which is pretty warm. You can blow right THROUGH the fabric, much easier than blowing through a windshirt or even a good tafetta with DWR on it. My MED pair weigh 14.3 oz.

I should add that ANY softshell is really intended for mixed conditions, IE, snow/sleet etc and not hard rain/ warm conditions. That nano coating prevents the garment from soaking out and causing evaporative heat loss increasing the hypothermia possibility.

He's never really used em, but he'll wholeheartedly recommend them. You just can't make this stuff up folks.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
How do they breathe on a hard climb?

I live in the south and as such have only worn them for walk-abouts. I have used the Cabela's Microtex a fair amount and I'd rate them as about equally warm, which is pretty warm. You can blow right THROUGH the fabric, much easier than blowing through a windshirt or even a good tafetta with DWR on it. My MED pair weigh 14.3 oz.

I should add that ANY softshell is really intended for mixed conditions, IE, snow/sleet etc and not hard rain/ warm conditions. That nano coating prevents the garment from soaking out and causing evaporative heat loss increasing the hypothermia possibility.

He's never really used em, but he'll wholeheartedly recommend them. You just can't make this stuff up folks.

Like I said, I did not give a review of the garment, only of the fabric, as it is unlike anything else I've ever used, and that includes several continents in four seasons since the 70's, along with the fact that I still work with younger guys who just left SOF units, and a few who are still there and have used all of the APCU garments. Take it for what its worth, and while you're at it GFY.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabelas microtex pants treated with Nikwax.
Which Nikwax are you using? They have a whole lot of options. If I could make my Microtex pants a bit more weather resistant I'd be VERY happy with them...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've used both Polarpruf and the Softshell wash-in treatments (after washing in Tech wash) with equally good results.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
THANKS!

C
COR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Marmot Scree....watch REI for sales. These 2 recent pairs have gone thru 2 Colorado hunts of 2 weeks per trip and are worn year round in woods of PA. I like the olive colored ones. Great fit and plenty of length options.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I like arborwear tech pants. I've been using them for years and can't wear them out. They also have an ascender pant that has 4 way stretch that looks interesting.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like The North Face's Paramount Peak Convertible Pants. I climb a lot, and they are resistant to abrasions and tears. They hold up very well to the abuse I put them through while climbing mountains, rock climbing, and hiking. They are water-resistant, and they shed light rain and dry quickly when they get wet. And they are breathable.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a pair of Sitka Gear Ascent pants. Very light softshell. Great pants in warmer weather. Add a pair of long handle bottoms and they work great in cold weather. Also have a pair of Sitka 90% pants. Great in cool weather, and were still good on a 10 degree morning with the long handles.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.