Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
There are high percentage shots and low percentage shots.

Plenty of people who hunt take shots at running game, well under 100 yards that don't even come anywhere close to making a clean kill, if they hit the animal at all.

To put an arbitrary number such as 700 yards as max indicates to me a novice long range shooter. From one hour to the next conditions can change enough that a shooter who may be comfortable shooting out to 1200 yards in ideal conditions, would choose not to take a shot at 1/4 that distance.

Conditions generally dictate what a max distance is, in regards to a high percentage shot on a game animal or anything else.

The bottom line is that a person should only be taking high percentage shots. It does not matter if it's with a .44 mag or 300 win mag. Kill clean and set a good example.

Agreed again, especially with "Kill clean and set a good example." Spot on!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've watched a lot of antelope hunters. A lot. And shots at our ranch can be very long if you're a bad hunter, or you want the shot to be long, or both. Once in a while there is no way to close the distance and sneak closer (this is usually still a poor argument for taking a long shot since enough animals are there to choose from that you don't have to stretch things.)

Here are some things I've seen "long range" hunters do: I've seen them show up having not sighted in their rifle and/or with no idea about what the their trajectory is other than what's printed on the back of a box of factory ammo. And I've seen them show up without rangefinders or with rangefinders that don't work worth a damn.

Now I'm sure, no one reading this would ever do those things, right? Of course not.

Well how about showing up to the hunt having never shot the rifle past 2-300 yards? Most guys live in cities and shoot at ranges that only go out to 2-300, and the ranges often don't allow people to get off of the benches. You think that "old army training" from 30 years ago still makes you a crack shot from a sitting position that you haven't tried in years? How about never having run a few shots over a chronograph? These things happen more often than not. Yet the hunters show up thinking they're "good to 4-500 yards" since they're sighted in at 200.

A lucky few, and I mean very few, show up to their hunt with a rifle that's pretty accurate - either an tweaked factory rifle or a full custom - and they've spent a fair bit of time at the range with it, maybe having worked up a pet load for the rifle. It's a legit sub MOA rifle, heck, they've got photos of the groups on their phones to prove it. They've even shot the rifle at 5 or 600 yards and also at 1000, and they're confident they can kill a buck at 5-600. They might even crank one off at 700 - if the buck wasn't moving.

So what's wrong with the that? Well, things I've seen include: the hunter shot all of those fine groups on windless days. In fact he only goes to the range on windless days, even after load work up is done. He still doesn't get off the bench. He's not in good shape. He's using a hash mark reticle instead of elevation turrets. He doesn't know what altitude he's hunting at (I've told several hunters the altitude of our place, but I can't recollect ever having one ask me for it). That 500 yard target the hunter shot at? It's a 30" gong that he can't go downrange and inspect, so he's estimating group size and location. And the 1000 yard gong? It's as big as a VW Bug and the hunter has no idea where he hit it.

The end result of this guy shooting at 600 yards is a rodeo, or, if he's lucky, a clean miss. (As an aside, what's up with the hunters who have an ugly rodeo and then have the animal mounted? Who wants to look at that mount and be reminded of incompetence? That's no longer a trophy in my book, regardless of "score.")

I could go on but the bottom line is most hunters live in the city, not in big country where they can practice long range shooting properly, nor do they know how to dope the wind. Most hunters mean well and try but can't get it done reliably at long range. Those that can shoot on days when a 9" group at 300 yards is a hell of a group. And because they've seen that, and worse, they often have the judgment to pass on iffy shots at unwounded animals. If I had a guy show up with a .338 Lapua, saying he "thought" he was good to 1000, I'd ask him to leave.

The morning after antelope season, when the hunters are on the road going home, I have to drive the ranch, check the windmills and count cattle. I see the birds eating the eyes out of the bucks that were gut shot and ran off and died uncollected, and I see the bucks that got legged and are laid up in the shade of a lone tree or windmill. They stand up stiffly and hobble at first, then find an amazingly good gait, considering. But they're not going to outrun a coyote. Ranchers carry 22-250's or 243's to put them out of their misery before coyotes eat them alive. Most "long range hunters" never see those shots.

You owe it to your animal, the quality of the meat, and your memory of the hunt, to be better than "I think I can kill one at X yards."

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Texas Photog, thanks for your post it let me relive some fond memories. You have had some slob hunters show up in your camp. Have you ever had someone who is dedicated to the sport show up? One of my favorite hunting memories involves a land owner who, like you, had seen some slob long range hunters show up. When I touched off the shot at a 540 yard antelope and the goat started his down hill run he screamed, "you missed!" I knew better. I yelled, "fall over," which it promptly did.
After we took care of the meat we started driving around the ranch to see if we could be of help to his other guests. About once or twice an hour he would bust out laughing and yell, "that was a hell of a shot!"
What the rancher did not know was that I arrived a day earlier found a place to shoot and spent about five hours of range time getting ready to make a shot out to 700 yards if it was presented, although I would have been happy with a 50 yard shot. 540 was a chip shot in the conditions that presented themselves that day.
I ended up having to teach him and his sons how to use a ballistics calculator that afternoon. Then spent a day with them teaching them how to dial scopes, giving wind reading tips etc. They were already accuracy freaks and reloaders. I would bet they are still avid long range shooters whether they are long range hunters or not. They were making 700 yard hits on vitals sized targets with ease before I left.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
I've watched a lot of antelope hunters. A lot. And shots at our ranch can be very long if you're a bad hunter, or you want the shot to be long, or both. Once in a while there is no way to close the distance and sneak closer (this is usually still a poor argument for taking a long shot since enough animals are there to choose from that you don't have to stretch things.)

Here are some things I've seen "long range" hunters do: I've seen them show up having not sighted in their rifle and/or with no idea about what the their trajectory is other than what's printed on the back of a box of factory ammo. And I've seen them show up without rangefinders or with rangefinders that don't work worth a damn.

Now I'm sure, no one reading this would ever do those things, right? Of course not.

Well how about showing up to the hunt having never shot the rifle past 2-300 yards? Most guys live in cities and shoot at ranges that only go out to 2-300, and the ranges often don't allow people to get off of the benches. You think that "old army training" from 30 years ago still makes you a crack shot from a sitting position that you haven't tried in years? How about never having run a few shots over a chronograph? These things happen more often than not. Yet the hunters show up thinking they're "good to 4-500 yards" since they're sighted in at 200.

A lucky few, and I mean very few, show up to their hunt with a rifle that's pretty accurate - either an tweaked factory rifle or a full custom - and they've spent a fair bit of time at the range with it, maybe having worked up a pet load for the rifle. It's a legit sub MOA rifle, heck, they've got photos of the groups on their phones to prove it. They've even shot the rifle at 5 or 600 yards and also at 1000, and they're confident they can kill a buck at 5-600. They might even crank one off at 700 - if the buck wasn't moving.

So what's wrong with the that? Well, things I've seen include: the hunter shot all of those fine groups on windless days. In fact he only goes to the range on windless days, even after load work up is done. He still doesn't get off the bench. He's not in good shape. He's using a hash mark reticle instead of elevation turrets. He doesn't know what altitude he's hunting at (I've told several hunters the altitude of our place, but I can't recollect ever having one ask me for it). That 500 yard target the hunter shot at? It's a 30" gong that he can't go downrange and inspect, so he's estimating group size and location. And the 1000 yard gong? It's as big as a VW Bug and the hunter has no idea where he hit it.

The end result of this guy shooting at 600 yards is a rodeo, or, if he's lucky, a clean miss. (As an aside, what's up with the hunters who have an ugly rodeo and then have the animal mounted? Who wants to look at that mount and be reminded of incompetence? That's no longer a trophy in my book, regardless of "score.")

I could go on but the bottom line is most hunters live in the city, not in big country where they can practice long range shooting properly, nor do they know how to dope the wind. Most hunters mean well and try but can't get it done reliably at long range. Those that can shoot on days when a 9" group at 300 yards is a hell of a group. And because they've seen that, and worse, they often have the judgment to pass on iffy shots at unwounded animals. If I had a guy show up with a .338 Lapua, saying he "thought" he was good to 1000, I'd ask him to leave.

The morning after antelope season, when the hunters are on the road going home, I have to drive the ranch, check the windmills and count cattle. I see the birds eating the eyes out of the bucks that were gut shot and ran off and died uncollected, and I see the bucks that got legged and are laid up in the shade of a lone tree or windmill. They stand up stiffly and hobble at first, then find an amazingly good gait, considering. But they're not going to outrun a coyote. Ranchers carry 22-250's or 243's to put them out of their misery before coyotes eat them alive. Most "long range hunters" never see those shots.

You owe it to your animal, the quality of the meat, and your memory of the hunt, to be better than "I think I can kill one at X yards."

And you're NOT just a bumping your gums with all you wrote! That's as good a scenario as to how it works as any I've ever read!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Best post I've read on the 'Fire in a long time.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
EddyBo,

Nice buck there. Good on you for getting dialed in before your hunt.

Yes, I've had some slob hunters, but I've had many very good hunters and some good long range shooters hunt with us too. I'm happy to call many of them friends today. And I have nothing against long range hunting as long as the shooting doesn't involve, well, guessing/hoping and wounding.

Some of the best hunters were not great long range shots - they had great stalking skills, and/or had enough judgment to limit their shots and were patient enough to wait for a shot they knew they could make. As you know, skill, judgement and patience aren't for sale at the local gun store.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RMulhern and Prarie Goat, thanks guys.

Prarie Goat, I see you've done some guiding and seen some or all of this before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
EddyBo,

Nice buck there. Good on you for getting dialed in before your hunt.

Yes, I've had some slob hunters, but I've had many very good hunters and some good long range shooters hunt with us too. I'm happy to call many of them friends today. And I have nothing against long range hunting as long as the shooting doesn't involve, well, guessing/hoping and wounding.

Some of the best hunters were not great long range shots - they had great stalking skills, and/or had enough judgment to limit their shots and were patient enough to wait for a shot they knew they could make. As you know, skill, judgement and patience aren't for sale at the local gun store.

I have as much disdain for the longrange hunter who does not know his limitation as I do for the short range gut shooters.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There is a difference between long-range shooting and "hunting". The traditional hunting skills of stalking and woodsmanship are not needed. The critter is not confronted and taken. Actually it reminds me of the difference between house to house combat and using a drone. With the drone there is a lot of tech but no ground skills.

I say keep the first shot within either the shorter of 300 yards or the distance at which you can hit a cantaloupe 100% of the time on the first shot . Then improve your stalking and hunting skills.

There must be some self imposed limits. Just cause you can do something does not mean it is a good idea to do it .

Last edited by RinB; 11/12/13.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TexasPhotog
Great post. Reminds me of the day before spring bear season when a car load of hunters showed up at the Logan shooting range. One had a newly acquired 300 Ultra Magnum and he proceeded to whang a round at the 440 yard gong. The gong echoed the sound of a hit, he high fived all his buddies, and proclaimed that he was going to hold "right on" any bear he saw out to 400 yard. The gong was 48 inches in diameter.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey TexasPhotog,

I have a problem with the "long range hunter" label pinned on guys who obviously haven't a clue. It lumps them in with others who have done the work to actually make it happen.

I kinda have a problem the with entire label, "long range hunter" to tell you the truth.

It implies that the guy shoots animals at long range and only long range.

Take JohnBurns and Scenarshooter for example. They are some of the best long range shooters who frequent this forum and have made some long, long kills, I wouldn't apply the label "long range hunter" to. I'd bet they'd not pass up a 100 yard shot on a big game animal they wanted to shoot because it was too close.

They are hunters who are skilled shooters.

They have perfected their skill to match the capability of their equipment.

I think "Azzholes" is a more accurate term for the Goobers we're talking about. "Posers" come to mind as well.

I like the way your post reads now...

Here are some things I've seen "Azzhole" hunters do: I've seen them show up having not sighted in their rifle and/or with no idea about what the their trajectory is other than what's printed on the back of a box of factory ammo. And I've seen them show up without rangefinders or with rangefinders that don't work worth a damn

...but then I've never been accused of being politically correct.

grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RinB
There is a difference between long-range shooting and "hunting". The traditional hunting skills of stalking and woodsmanship are not needed. The critter is not confronted and taken. Actually it reminds me of the difference between house to house combat and using a drone. With the drone there is a lot of tech but no ground skills.

I say keep the first shot within either the shorter of 300 yards or the distance at which you can hit a cantaloupe 100% of the time on the first shot . Then improve your stalking and hunting skills.

There must be some self imposed limits. Just cause you can do something does not mean it is a good idea to do it .

I love when people assume things about people's "hunting" skills due to the fact they can shoot long range. I have hunted just about every way imaginable, including going archery only for a number of years. I hunt how I like as long as it is legal and as long as I am sure I can cleanly kill an animal. I do not really want other's limitations or ideas of what is "ethical to them" imposed upon me.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Hey TexasPhotog,

I have a problem with the "long range hunter" label pinned on guys who obviously haven't a clue. It lumps them in with others who have done the work to actually make it happen.

I kinda have a problem the with entire label, "long range hunter" to tell you the truth.

It implies that the guy shoots animals at long range and only long range.

Take JohnBurns and Scenarshooter for example. They are some of the best long range shooters who frequent this forum and have made some long, long kills, I wouldn't apply the label "long range hunter" to. I'd bet they'd not pass up a 100 yard shot on a big game animal they wanted to shoot because it was too close.

They are hunters who are skilled shooters.

They have perfected their skill to match the capability of their equipment.

I think "Azzholes" is a more accurate term for the Goobers we're talking about. "Posers" come to mind as well.

I like the way your post reads now...

Here are some things I've seen "Azzhole" hunters do: I've seen them show up having not sighted in their rifle and/or with no idea about what the their trajectory is other than what's printed on the back of a box of factory ammo. And I've seen them show up without rangefinders or with rangefinders that don't work worth a damn

...but then I've never been accused of being politically correct.

grin

I see your point, but I tell all hunters that they need to be prepared to shoot at distance reliably because it's big country - and it is - so they're all long range hunters by default.

As Mr. Sagebrush noted, we're all on our own learning curves and many of they folks who show up to hunt have prepared about as best they can, given their rifle range distance is limited and leaving the bench is forbidden at their range. I certainly don't use the word a-hole for them, even though they're not really ready for long pokes. (I tend to reserve the use of that word for people who are supposed to be hunting neighboring ranches who I find, literally, a mile inside of my property line - with a big buck down.)

I tend to take long shot stories on the internet like I do big fish stories in a bar: with a grain of salt. But, hey, sometimes it's good for a laugh. A guy came back in one day with a nice buck and told me the story of his hunt - one shot, 500 yards he said. I was looking at the buck as he told the story, and their was a neat .277 hole on the from edge of one of the horns. I called him out on it and he sheepishly admitted, well, it took "two" shots. I still get to laugh about it occasionally - he's an uncle of mine, so I get to tease him about it!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To this day, I"ll say this, I"ve screwed the pooch a few times in my life.

And every last one of them has been under 200 yards.

I"ve never screwed up a longer shot. But as noted, I know whats realistic for a day and conditions.

Just last weekend I was taking too much time dialing in at 667 and reading the wind and the target left. No big deal. That afternoon in the same place the shot was totally unthinkable all the way around. Conditions were too bad.

Its never been a dick thing with me, just something thats more challenging. Like using a pistol, or a bow or MZ etc.... its another thing that challenges me. And when I was tuned up, firing more than 10K rounds a year out to 1000 yards, with irons to boot, I was confident. My confidence range is much less today than it was a few years ago. Next year it might be really high again though.

And I never turn down a shorter shot if offered.

I have a gun capable of long shots. Beyond 1000 easily. I"ve shot groups of 8-10 inches with the same caliber at a bit over a mile. But I am not practiced enough to think of it, with that gun yet. So while I have a gun, I don't have the capability with it. I won't shoot it past 200 yards in fact. I"ll run my 308 a lot further than that.

Its like anything else, just be sure of what you are doing.

And IMHO, for a long shot, I'm not at all averse to a couple of sighters to verify elevation and high and low wind conditions. It cost me once on game, took one sighter, on a softball sized rock at almost 1000 yards. About 100 yards or so to the side of the critter. Actually hit the rock just on the base as a scrape, pulled up on the critter and it started walkign and walked off. Never gave a shot. No big deal but it would have taken my long from 802 to something over 1000. Never had a good chance since then.

So its all in the shooters ethics.

Of course you know a lot more are wounded by weekend warriors at 100 yards, just due to numbers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by EddyBo
Originally Posted by RinB

I love when people assume things about people's "hunting" skills due to the fact they can shoot long range. I have hunted just about every way imaginable, including going archery only for a number of years. I hunt how I like as long as it is legal and as long as I am sure I can cleanly kill an animal. I do not really want other's limitations or ideas of what is "ethical to them" imposed upon me.

I love it too, I have killed more animals with a bow than I have at long range. People have a notion that you can get within 200 yards of every animal out there. It just is not the case in some instances. Even when I have shot animals at long range I have always closed the distance as much as possible before the shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heavywalker, I cannot lie and say I have always tried to close the distance if I had a high percentage shot and conditions were right.

I can say I never passed a short shot to take a long one on a game animal. When the pigs were in the place where we shoot a mile we usred to bait them right up to the berm and kill them at 1760. At times there were pigs at 300-500 while we were shooting the long pigs, but never on a deer or elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One mile kill is incredible eddybo!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

.8+ BC at 3400 makes it a lot less impressive smile Especially since we shot there a whole bunch at targets right where the pigs would show up. We did have a few that moved while the bullet was in flight, but most stood there long enough for good hits. Getting them to come out with enough light is the trick.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Eddy,

What I am talking about is if I spot an animal at 800 yards and I can get closer say 600 then I will do that if possible. I try and get to a point where I know 100% that I can make a clean kill. I have not tried to close the gap on some shots in the 500's, but I don't consider those that long of a shot.

My longest kill was at 1031 yards, I had the elk spotted at 1800 and hiked to the edge of a vertical rock face at 1031 yards. I had perfect conditions and took the shot and the elk died. if I could have got another 200 yards closer before taking the shot I would have. I am not saying that everyone should do or needs to do what I suggest here, that is just they way I do it.

Sometimes it is just not possible, for example below is a picture of a typical spot where I would hunt deer and elk. They hang out in the reprod. You either have a 500 yard shot or you hike over to where the deer is crash though the brush and never see them again. No blacktail buck is going to hang around while you crash though the brush and let you get 10 yards from him where you can see him.

[Linked Image]

Another photo, you couldn't kick a dog though this stuff let alone sneak up on an elk, you either take the shot or you don't get an elk. This is good incentive to practice.

Edit to add, this is though a spotter at 525 yards, I wouldn't take this shot just using it as a visual aid.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by heavywalker; 11/12/13.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EddyBo

.8+ BC at 3400 makes it a lot less impressive smile Especially since we shot there a whole bunch at targets right where the pigs would show up. We did have a few that moved while the bullet was in flight, but most stood there long enough for good hits. Getting them to come out with enough light is the trick.

At a mile do the other pigs run off when one drops or do they just mill around?

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.