Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Out in the bush, on the lake, anywhere?

For me, it would include a weather balloon, and a gold pocket watch half case.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
scuba diving. I have found boat motors (I always imagine someone pulling on the starter rope without it tightened on), cars, a rifle, a pistol (they weren't hot or some crime evidence, I turned them over to the police), every kind of keys, wallets, cell phones, ipads, or other personal effects, including purses full of stuff (once with a vibrator), a once really nice wood office desk with files and articles still in the drawers I'm thinking angry employees), and the funniest and saddest at the same time, a cooler with a locked chain around it that was full of wedding pictures.

Hunting, mostly it has been finding evidence of some old homestead foundation or coke furnace or a stone fence running through the middle of a forest of big trees that used to be someone's farm field boundary.
But some items like a pair of high boots sticking up out of a mud bog with cut laces, a backpack with 50 pounds of weights in it, and a large patch of marijuana, have been interesting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Interesting things you have found.

I am more inclined to worry about not finding the trips near a dope crop some dill has squirrelled away.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I once found a gunny sack with just over $60,000 cash in it from a bank robbery. The robbers threw the sack out of the car just before they got to the roadblock. I saw the door open and close real quickly from a distance of about 300 yards. I was surprised to find the sack full of cash -- I thought they maybe ditched a bag of dope or a bottle of whiskey. The banker was pretty happy to get the money back. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Indian made arrowheads while bowhunting elk in New mexico and a Bow laying on the side of the highway on the same hunt .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old horse camps, memorials, culturally modified trees, old bullets, hunting knives.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Budlight cans

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Found a dead body while fishing one time. That throws a loop in your day, let me tell you. I'm not lucky, so of course I wouldn't find something cool.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Someone must have been missing what you found.
The "find", was important to them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Driving down Magnificent Avenue in Ames, I saw a letter pouch that looked like a bank pouch. I stopped and picked it up. It had the name of a business on it and was filled with what looked to be switches of some kind. I took it to the address and told the lady that I had expected it to be full of money. She said it probably wouldn't have held enough money to equal what the equipment in it was worth. She was right glad to get it back.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Found a dead body while fishing one time. That throws a loop in your day, let me tell you. I'm not lucky, so of course I wouldn't find something cool.

Many years ago a friend and I were fishing in the middle of the night on a river below a dam. We heard some shouts for help and within a few minutes we located and rescued a drunk fisherman. He was trying to swim against the current and in a few more minutes he would have been dead. After we retrieved the boat he had fallen out of we told him he could use it to return down river. He started to swear and said he was going to walk out and someone else could come back for the boat. Couldn't understand why he felt that way! smirk

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found a large bow saw yesterday that had obviously been there long enough that the owner hadn't come back for it. Found a Gerber take down backpack saw last summer at the end of a trail used by snowmobilers.

Found a skookum chain drive winch in snow and tried every way I knew over a large region to locate the owner.

My favorite:

While my son and I were on a river, two passing paddlers told us about swamping and losing most of their gear the first day of their multi-day paddle. My son was 15 at the time and suggested that we hike in overland and dive the place where they flipped, if we could find it. We did, and it looked like a sporting goods store on the bottom of the big clear pool below a wicked angled ledge drop off. Wish we'd have kept their phone number or some contact to return their stuff.

A couple of years ago a predator hunting friend and I found a late model pick-up near the border that had been shot up around the driver area and then burned. I phoned the police. They did not know about it. The officer was suspcious and accusatory toward me though nothing further has come of it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reminds me of the time my wife was driving me to the airport, spotted a wallet on the road while stopped at a light. Picked up, 200.00 bucks in it, bunch of credit cards and ID. Belonged to a guy in California. Told the wife to drop it off at the cop shop on the way back into town as the guy might have contacted the police about his lost wallet. My wife said cops were rude and accusatory about the wallet, WTF?? We turn in money and a wallet that doesn't belong to us and the cops give attitude, sheeesh. Never heard back from the cops or the guy in California, maybe the cop kept it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You remind me of returning a wallet with a two dollar bill, and driver's license help lost raking hay.
I found it stringing out a bale for sheep. I put it in a envelope, and mailed it to him. Never heard anything fro him.
That wallet sure smelled of alfalfa.

Last edited by wabigoon; 11/13/13.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I assume that it wasn't Joe Klop. smile We had a farmer up by AC plow up the billfold that he had lost in the field a couple of years earlier.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The name was Everett Eimires, and it was near fifty years ago.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good to hear - I counted on Joe for better manners.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Was mowing the ditch near the road of an old field and stirred up an old wallet. Looked inside (it was in rough shape) and found an ID and some cards & change. Showed it to my wife & she recognized the woman as the Para-legal in our Lawyer's office. Called her & she came to get it. Story goes like this: She was grocery shopping while in college 12 years before & left her purse open in her cart. When her back was turned, crook lifted her wallet and left the store. He was arrested in the next town over 2 days later for trying to use her credit card. He said he took everything he wanted from the purse and then threw it out of the car window into our ditch, laying there for 12 years in the tall grass until I found it mowing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Found a wallet in the mud of the creek at the back of our property one year when it was low. Belonged to a girl who had graduated from the high school located about a quarter mile upstream a few years prior. No money - driver's license and a few other cards of various sorts (pre-credit card days). Stunk something awful from being in the mud all that time. (Stream drains through some livestock ground.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did not find this but a couple of Spring season turkey hunters started down the end of an old isolated logging road about 2 miles away a couple years ago. They saw what looked like a car covered in leaves, branches, etc. - like it had been there a long time. They looked through the window & saw a body, so they called the cops. Seems it was a murder/suicide(handgun) that took place in September as that is when the couple went missing and the car wasn't found until middle of May. Just plain creepy to sit there so long & nobody finding it, but they had driven way off the logging road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,309
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.