Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's probably having panic attacks over the lack of 22's.

Thinking the docs are now effected as well. :-)

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Gotta wonder how many of those 'scripts are to treat symptoms (side-effects) of some of the other 'scripts.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by J23
I would never criticize anyone who needs medication, and is precribed and takes it legally and responsibly, but as for this guy, no thanks. I dislike taking Asprin and Tums; not that I am some sort of naturalist, I just dislike taking medication.

That being said, last summer and into fall, pretty much the entire 2012 year, I was haveing some real issues.. depression, lethargy, a lack of interest in EVERYTHING.. basically, I was not me. There was no critial event that thrust me into a full blown depression, nor did it happen overnight, I did finally break down and head over to see the doc..

Turns out, after some basic blood work, my Testostorone was something like 43 at its lowest. After a few months of playing with doseages, I feel alot better. Though I am by no means back to 100%, I am heading in that direction. I will say, as a man who strongly dislikes medication, I don't think I would want to live in that hell again; give me the shot each week.

I hate taking anything myself, but like you I had a collapse in my health, some of it yestersday. know i am on a couple of meds to treat ulcers, 2 for high blood pressure and 2 as needed for my back.

To the OP I know my neighbor is on Xanax, (legal R/x??, i don't know) and he is one creepy dude, the only time he comes out of the house is when the police have arrested his teen-age daughter

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pira114
The problem with any anti depressant is that it can be used to treat that behavior or cause it in some people. So you never really know what is causing that behavior. This is why docs experiment with types and dosages until they think they found a combo that works. Until it doesn't anymore. Then on to more trial and error.

It's sad cuz a lot of folks need something, but that process of finding the right meds can be brutal
Xanax is a benzodiazepine, not an antidepressant. It's an anxiolytic, i.e., alleviates anxiety. It's not associated with erratic behavior. It has very few reported adverse side effects, in fact.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks,ALL,for the heads up, and the briefing on the subject material out on the table.

J23 NAILED IT, in the basic behavioral description:

like an amoral zombie, with little to no empathy. In my eye, it numbs the person to the point where they have little to no anxiety, worry, fear, happiness, sadness.. nothing.

Dirtfarmer's comment leaves me wondering just how MUCH of this stuff my friend's gobbling, and WHY it's part of a Hypertension related "Therapy"

The only really legitimate use for Xanax, IMHO, is acute panic disorder and then only as needed. There is NO indication for high dose, long term Xanax usage.

Travis:

Your friend needs a new doctor.

.....no chit, this is NOT about "healing" in any context whatsoever,.....EXTREMELY disturbing / troubling to a bystander,.....like watching a train wreck.

D.D. :

That many scripts might have originated from multiple docs. Xanax can have some impact to be sure, but I'd be looking first at the possibility of contra-indicated scripts.

dunno, Man,......he's answered my queries in the singular, and only spoken about "his DOCTOR". Very bad mojo in play at the moment,.....I made him a smoking deal on that old Red IHC that was sitting out front, some horse trading, as it were,.....
I don't think I want to see him behind the wheel of the thing, after observing his WEIRD behavior through the process of getting the thing lit up. I rode with him in his pickup on a parts run, and it was NO fun at all,......No way he'll be able to handle that 1700 series,....no bloody way.

Beautiful warm afternoon, I gotta' get after some production in the shop.

Again, thanks for all the Skookum input, Amigos.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/14/13.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The problem with any anti depressant is that it can be used to treat that behavior or cause it in some people. So you never really know what is causing that behavior. This is why docs experiment with types and dosages until they think they found a combo that works. Until it doesn't anymore. Then on to more trial and error.

It's sad cuz a lot of folks need something, but that process of finding the right meds can be brutal
Xanax is a benzodiazepine, not an antidepressant. It's an anxiolytic, i.e., alleviates anxiety. It's not associated with erratic behavior. It has very few reported adverse side effects, in fact.

Crap, the weird and erratic chime just rang again

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's not associated with erratic behavior. It has very few reported adverse side effects, in fact.

I disagree I can't tell you the number of Probationers I have seen with shoplifting charges with previously clean records or only other types of offenses who began taking Benzo's and went out and shoplifted!!! It's a joke among all of us that Xanax will make you steal...

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Re J23's description of how your friend is acting - BTDT; long term stress can cause that by itself. Being on the wrong antidepressant, or wrong dose can do the same thing. Then there's some people that all antidepressants cause this. Re Travis' comment - agreed, wrong doctor; your friend may need to step up to a psychologist or even psychiatrist with a real good handle on pharmacology.

Re you being concerned for your friend - you're a damn good friend to have. Listen to that little voice and follow it - get the guy some immediate help. Again, having BTDT, he could be "there's nothing good on tv" away from picking up the handgun he's been staring at on the coffee table; when you're that emotionally checked out it literally takes that little to go over the edge.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's great if you are lying around in a hotel in Houston waiting to fly to Mass General in Boston to get a tumor or two taken out of a lung.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

It's not associated with erratic behavior. It has very few reported adverse side effects, in fact.

I disagree I can't tell you the number of Probationers I have seen with shoplifting charges with previously clean records or only other types of offenses who began taking Benzo's and went out and shoplifted!!! It's a joke among all of us that Xanax will make you steal...

Mike

Makes a lot of sense, actually.

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike
Well, it will make someone who wants to steal less anxious about possible consequences from stealing, and therefore more likely to do it, sure. But it doesn't make them steal.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by J23
... Basically, from everyone I have seen who is on it, you are like an amoral zombie, with little to no empathy. In my eye, it numbs the person to the point where they have little to no anxiety, worry, fear, happiness, sadness.. nothing.

In other words ... bliss.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Xanax is a popular street drug. When you find someone strung out on Xanax, there's a good chance they're using other stuff, as well. Crack users often use Xanax to "come down" after a high.

Prescription drugs are taking some of the spotlight from common illegal street drugs in many sectors. They're out there and more commonly abused than one may think.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Xanax is used to treat anxiety disorders, panic disorders, and anxiety caused by depression.

Probably got those symptoms from all the damn pills he's on.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Cross, I don't know if you can attribute your friend's personality/behavior changes to Xanax, based on what you've described. It sounds like more of a case of polypharmacy (multiple drugs, so many they start producing interactive side-effects). It can be a big problem in people with emotional disturbances. Someone who HATES his job/wife/life on multiple meds (often from multiple docs...) is a huge red flag for me as a clinician.

Alprazolam (Xanax) is without a doubt the most-abused drug in the benzodiazepine class. It has a fast onset (which means it relieves symptoms quickly), and a fast-offset (which means you crash just as quickly). Fast onset/offset drugs are highly addictive... think nicotine, caffeine, methamphetamine. Alprazolam is not quite as bad as those others, but it's close.

I almost NEVER prescribe it because of this. It should really only be used in specific settings such as pre-medication for dental or office surgical procedures to reduce anxiety for the patient during the procedure. I personally take it every time I go in for a dental procedure; it makes me a lot more comfortable, and it makes the dentist's job a lot easier when his patient isn't a sweating, hyperventilating, palpitating wreck!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just going to try and be as non-judgmental as I can, and be supportive without "enabling" this craziness. It's one thing to be a "sympathetic ear",....and quite another to be bombarded with incoherent babbling.

Some of the Docs in this area are damned loose with mixed up cocktails of God knows what, and THEY often lose track of what they've already prescribed, when writing new ones. I know, that very thing happened to my Mom.

Thanks again, everybody, I know a LOT more about this stuff than I did this AM.

GTC

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Maybe his neighbors are driving him crazy ? smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ldholton
Maybe his neighbors are driving him crazy ? smile
One in particular, perhaps. grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
if I wanted any chit outta' you, I'd squeeze yer' head.

Shoo!

GTC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember a guy in HS that stole his grandma's Xanax. He went to a party that night, beat up a guy, stole his truck, lit it on fire and ran it into a ravine.

Musta been some goo schitt, huh? laugh

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (2ndwind, 41rem, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,011
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.