-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I picked up a 2-12x50 Z6 with a standard duplex for a great price and was thinking I would like to have an outdoorsman turret calibrated for it. From what I've been able to read, it seems I first need to have it retrofitted to a BT (Ballistic Turret) before I can swap in the Outdoorsman turret. The other option I was considering is just a reticle swap to a BRH (since Swaro discontinued the TDS). Anyone done this? I'll give Swaro a call this week but thought I would see what I'm in for $$ and time wise if anyone here has done it. If anyone here has the same scope in a TDS reticle and would consider a trade plus some cash from me, shoot me a PM.

Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes sir,
I had the fine duplex that the Z5 came with swapped to a heavier duplex. Other reticles were available.
It took about 2 weeks turn around and around $170...I think. It's been almost a year since I sent it in. Call first and talk to the very nice lady. Cant remember her name either but she was very helpful.
Bill

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, Bill! I just got off the phone with Swarovski and you nailed it - $170 for a reticle swap. It's $200 to add the BT, and it keeps the heavier plex reticle that is in it. Like you, I wasn't a fan of the fine duplex that comes with the BT. Still haven't decided what to do - leaning towards giving the BT another shot. I had one in 3-18x50 configuration and never really got used to spinning turrets. Afraid I would just spend more $$ going to the Outdoorsman turret later.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Some years ago, I sent a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT back for a reticle change. The std. duplex type reticle was way too fine for the type hunting I do. I had a #4 German installed, and back then it cost $125. The turnaround was pretty quick, I don't remember exactly how long.

DF

Edited to add, I had a Swaro 6-18x50 with a TDS. I like the TDS as well or better than other ranging reticles. The problem I had with the TDS, was the scope had to be at max power to be accurate. I was shooting a pronghorn in NM, using a Harris bipod at 385 yds. At 18X there was too much wiggle, making the shot difficult. I did connect but traded that scope when I got home. The turret is independent of the power setting. And, I did get the Outdoorsmans turret. I like it much better than the three colored dots Swaro supplies.

The TDS would probably be better in a FFP vs. a SPF scope, as it would work at any power. The SFP swaro TDS turned me into a turret twister... smile

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/12/13.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mine cost $116 with a seven day turnaround.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, DF. I'd likely have issues with the higher power scopes as well but on 12x I have no problem at all shooting off a bipod. I tried the older Swaro 3-12x50 TDS which is FFP and just couldn't get used to how huge the reticle got at higher magnification. I had a 3-18x50 BT for awhile too and like you got rid of it because of the fine reticle. Thinking this 2-12x50 with the standard plex will be perfect with the outdoorsman turret.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Some years ago, I sent a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT back for a reticle change. The std. duplex type reticle was way too fine for the type hunting I do. I had a #4 German installed, and back then it cost $125. The turnaround was pretty quick, I don't remember exactly how long.

DF

Edited to add, I had a Swaro 6-18x50 with a TDS. I like the TDS as well or better than other ranging reticles. The problem I had with the TDS, was the scope had to be at max power to be accurate. I was shooting a pronghorn in NM, using a Harris bipod at 385 yds. At 18X there was too much wiggle, making the shot difficult. I did connect but traded that scope when I got home. The turret is independent of the power setting. And, I did get the Outdoorsmans turret. I like it much better than the three colored dots Swaro supplies.

The TDS would probably be better in a FFP vs. a SPF scope, as it would work at any power. The SFP swaro TDS turned me into a turret twister... smile

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You can calculate TDS data for other power settings. You'll have to make your own chart, as the Swaro supplied data is specific for max power. And with your new data, you'll have to go to that same designated power setting for the TDS to work properly.

Too many apples for a dime, IMHO.

That's why I made the trade I made.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strelok + app has the TDS reticle. You can change the magnification settings to see where the horizontal lines will hit at various ranges.

BTW, I also have a 6-18x50 TDS. Unfortunatley, I may be looking to sell it since it is sitting without a rifle and I need the $$. What is a fair asking price these days?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
John, I assume the 6-18x50 is the 1 inch AV scope? If so, they sell quick around $950 and sit awhile around $1050 in my experience. Usually bring more $$ on eBay but then you have the fees too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Correct. Thanks buddy.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think Killer is pretty close on his price estimate.

DF

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a Z6 with the standard plex reticle. Is their a thicker plex reticle available, or do the BT models just have a finer plex?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
JR,

I would call Swaro CS, which is excellent. I'm not sure what's available for the Z6. My experience was with the Z5.

DF

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JRE11
I have a Z6 with the standard plex reticle. Is their a thicker plex reticle available, or do the BT models just have a finer plex?

I think they make a couple of different reticles now on the BT scopes (a 4W comes to mind) but if you get the standard plex with the BT, it is super fine. I had one in a Z6 3-18x50 and it was to thin for my taste.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had two done years ago and it was a quick turnaround and not all that expensive if I recall.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.