Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Seeing this new Zeiss scope out there for pretty reasonable prices, wondering what the reviews on them are like? From what I've gathered,they are not as nice as the Conquest, but I suppose that doesn't make them a bad scope.

Wondering how they would compare to the other scopes in their price range,like VX-2's,Monarch 3, Weaver Grand Slam and Vortex?
I see the 4-12x42 with the Z800 reticle for $550 Cdn, which is about $100 more than the Nikon and Vortex Viper, and $100 less than the Leupold.

Have a .223 that needs new glass,these were the ones I was looking at. I hadn't looked at Zeiss due to the price tags but these are right in that range now, so perhaps worth considering?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I compared the Terra to a VX-1 in Gander Mountain and to my eye the Leupold was the better scope. Both were 2x7s and I was able to look at the mounted heads across the store at about 80 yards. Outdoors may tell a different story, but the view thru the Leupold just seemed to jump out at me compared to the Zeiss. I own a Conquest and the Terra is not in the same category. IMHO

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm curious as well. Found a few posts were some like them and some didn't . Seems majority reviews say the Terra is not up to par with the Conquest.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I just mounted one on a Kimber .22. It is a 3-9x42 that replaced a Leupold 2-7x33 VX II rimfire scope. To my eye, the Terra is a superior scope optically when compared to the Loopy. That's why I changed it out.

The Zeiss Terra is made in Japan (I was told in cooperation with Sony). It's a good value in an inexpensive scope, but nowhere near what the Conquest line was. For the occasional hunter who isn't going to go halfway around the world with it, it's alright. I have no opinion as to how it would stand up when mounted on a rifle with any degree of recoil.

Nowhere does the old adage "you get what you pay for" stand more true than in rifle scopes and binoculars.

If cost is not an issue, Zeiss Diavari or Swarovski for your big game rifle. If cost is an issue and you still want a first class scope, a 30mm Meopta.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I received my Terra 3 3x9x42 today. I mounted on my Remington 700. It's better than my Leupold VII. Considering the deal Doug had, I am more than pleased with the value

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How is the eye relief above 6x? Did you need to mount the scope a bit farther back than usual?

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes, it's a little further back than normal.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
id look for a used 3-9x40 conquest over the terra

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You have to consider that the original price point for the 3X9X40 Conquest was $499. The Terra was designed to sell at a much lower price point and IMO a larger profit for Zeiss otherwise there would have been no reason for it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seems like the old conquest is still a better scope than the newer Terra. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Terra is a nice scope, but from the reviews it seems like most like the Conquest. Good to know, thanks guys

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Terra just isn't up to the quality of something that has Zeiss on the side. As someone who really likes Zeiss, I was pretty disappointed.

Improper expectations on my part, I'm sure.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I agree, the glass isn't quite to the level of the Conquest, but neither is the price. If it holds up over time, I will be more than satisfied with my purchase.

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
As it turns out it wasn't an issue. Was able to look at a 3-9x Terra, and knew I didn't want it. At 3x it was ok, but a bit blurry around the edges. At 9x it was much worse, quite a bit of blurring , extending further into the centre. Not horrible, but not acceptable for the money, IMO. Was able to look at a few Vortex and Leupolds too, the Vortex had very short eye relief it seemed, otherwise pretty nice. Leupolds were very nice but the ones in stock didn't have theLR reticle I wanted.

Stopped at a little shop close to home and looked at a few there, saw they had the Conquests on sale for $879 for a 3.5-10x50 with the Z600 reticle. A bit too steep for me, but when he offered it to me for $650 I said sold, and am very pleased with it. I've only had one opportunity to actually take it out and shoot it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
From a Zeiss corporate perspective, thought this info would help. The old Conquest was a great scope, but 12 years old and was having challenges due to uncontrollable increasing costs, and competitive offerings that technically beat the Conquest. The product needed to be overhauled, so we rebuilt it from the ground up, threw every technical and optical advancement in it that we could. This new Conquest is called the Conquest HD5. Reviews have confirmed that this is a better product. However, this left a void for Zeiss that could no longer be filled with the old Conquest, so we built a completely new product line that would be competitive at the $399 price point level and named it Terra. Competition is Monarch, VX2 and some Vortex class scopes. The Terra was never intended to be a Conquest, it was built for an entirely different reason, a bread and butter, no frills, good quality scope to support the shooter that needed to be supported with a top brand at this price level. Again, the Conquest was a great scope but was replaced by the Conquest HD5 line, not the Terra line. Hope this help explain why we at Zeiss discontinued the old Conquest.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I pulled off the 2-7 Terra bought this summer and it is idle while I hunt with a VX2 or a 2.5-8 Conquest this year. The change in eye relief makes it unusable at low power.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
M
mlg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I looked at the Terra range today. Not for me - like looking down a hosepipe.

And I wasn't particularly impressed with the 2-10 HD 5 either. Here in Australia it's in the same price range as the Swaro Z3 and it simply doesn't compare. The Z3 is lighter, brighter and sharper.

Always been a Zeiss fan but with these 2 scope ranges I think they dropped the ball.

I will be buying a couple of Meopta Meopro 3-9x42s. I could not believe how good they are for the money. Nice big eye box too.......

Last edited by mlg; 11/14/13.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i looked at the hd5 as well recently. wasnt impressed something just didnt look right looking thro it. coulda been a lemon. however i wasnt all that impressed with my 50mm swaro either, at least on higher powers

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MJensen
From a Zeiss corporate perspective, thought this info would help. The old Conquest was a great scope, but 12 years old and was having challenges due to uncontrollable increasing costs, and competitive offerings that technically beat the Conquest. The product needed to be overhauled, so we rebuilt it from the ground up, threw every technical and optical advancement in it that we could. This new Conquest is called the Conquest HD5. Reviews have confirmed that this is a better product. However, this left a void for Zeiss that could no longer be filled with the old Conquest, so we built a completely new product line that would be competitive at the $399 price point level and named it Terra. Competition is Monarch, VX2 and some Vortex class scopes. The Terra was never intended to be a Conquest, it was built for an entirely different reason, a bread and butter, no frills, good quality scope to support the shooter that needed to be supported with a top brand at this price level. Again, the Conquest was a great scope but was replaced by the Conquest HD5 line, not the Terra line. Hope this help explain why we at Zeiss discontinued the old Conquest.

Thanks for the explanation. I completely understand the reasoning behind it and still have a high opinion of Zeiss, but I know that I had expectations of a scope that would compare favorably with the Conquest somewhere in the ballpark of that price point, and they just don't.

The old Conquest, to me, set a pretty substantial bar for optics and performance at that price so while I know Zeiss was solving a pretty significant cost problem, the appearance is that while eliminating one problem, they created two more.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MJensen

The competition catches up to the Conquest so they roll out a lesser scope at the same Conquest price point? Makes perfect sense. They should've upgraded the glass to stay ahead and left the rest of the scope alone.

It would be interesting to see how the new $400 Terra compares to the new $280 Elite.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
crazy how these terras are 400 bucks when a meopro can be found for under that

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.