-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's so easy to get accustomed to something and ignore its down-side when you've not had a failure. It's just human nature!

I always carry a Thermarest patch kit for my inflatables, but also pack the redundancy of a closed cell pad. The closed cell is super-nice on top of my Neoair, whatever the outside temps.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
It's so easy to get accustomed to something and ignore its down-side when you've not had a failure. It's just human nature!

I always carry a Thermarest patch kit for my inflatables, but also pack the redundancy of a closed cell pad. The closed cell is super-nice on top of my Neoair, whatever the outside temps.

Typically I don't carry a Thermarest when backpacking and especially when I'm in Arizona. For some reason and I think it's due to age, I decided to take along a Thermarest, this time. Oh well, next year I'll be toting a closed-cell pad and thereby not fretting about any uncomfortable sleeping arrangements on some mountainside in the middle of nowhere.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I switched to an inflatable as my primary in my mid-40's and won't be going back now that I'm in my 50's. The Neoair is revolutionary for its weight to comfort ratio.

Course as a young guy I could sleep soundly on a 3/8" Ensolite pad... those days are gone forever laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
laugh Yes, like you, my sound sleeping on a 3/8 inch closed-cell happened a long, long time ago. Last winter (January 2013) I was packed onto an extremely remote ridgeline in southeastern Arizona and sleeping on a closed-cell pad for two weeks, while "under the stars" and also while snowstorms and nearly zero degree (Fahrenheit) temperatures tried to bite through my sleeping bag at night. That was fun, but I think it was fun because I was trying to get within bow range of a couple of world-class Coues whitetails. The thing that separates that hunt from the one last week, is that I was "off the ground" (in a sense). The closed-cell kept me levitated from the cold ground while the malfunctioned Thermarest lefty me flat on hard rock. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Understand now.

Gotta say, I'd dearly love to be in on a Coues hunt... that Sonora country looks amazing!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Understand now.

Gotta say, I'd dearly love to be in on a Coues hunt... that Sonora country looks amazing!

Oh yeah, I love it down here. I've been chasing these little deer since the late 70's. Back in "the day" (late 1970's through the mid 1980's) a guy could hunt mulies and also get a Coues deer tag as a bonus. That's all changed nowadays, though. Nevertheless, there's nothing quite like these little deer, down here. They're my absolute favorite North American game animal. The country they inhabit is awesome, too, especially the really remote stuff that no one hunts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My friend Mark Dobrenski, who no longer posts here, guided in Sonora for several years on the Mexican side. He is absolutely in love with the country and that animal. From his descriptions I think I'd love it as well...

You there now?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Course as a young guy I could sleep soundly on a 3/8" Ensolite pad... those days are gone forever laugh

Heck Brad I'm a younger guy and I still prefer an air pad over just an Esolite so don't feel bad. wink I used to take a thermarest CCF in addition to my neo air pad. Now I take a Neo air and a prolite 3 short in a trekker chair combo so I have pad back up and a chair with a back rest....if both pads fail on the same hunt I guess I'll be SOL.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How is the NeoAir Xtherm? I'm considering replacing my Exped Downmat 7. The XTherm is quite a bit lighter and packs smaller.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Other than a couple of pieces of hunting clothing that worked great on a recent CO elk hunt, the two items of gear that I acquired this year was a ThermaRest Ultralite cot and a new Redhead Backpack. I have 4 or 5 pack including a Kifaru Longhunter and a Eberlestock J34 but needed a true day pack. The pack I found is an inexpensive Redhead Primal Bow/Rifle pack. It is a small 18.3 Liter pack that is comfortable, lightweight and can carry a rifle, bow or crossbow. It is very rigid pack that is tall enough to use as a shooting rest in the field. I've very pleased with the pack.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

Heck Brad I'm a younger guy and I still prefer an air pad over just an Esolite so don't feel bad. wink I used to take a thermarest CCF in addition to my neo air pad. Now I take a Neo air and a prolite 3 short in a trekker chair combo so I have pad back up and a chair with a back rest....if both pads fail on the same hunt I guess I'll be SOL.

You're a hard core airman! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that thinks sleeping comfort can't be measured in ounce and lbs.

BTW, always enjoy reading about your hunts. I haven't been in Wasilla sine the mid 90's but it's fantastic country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to give an xtherm a run this week so should have a little information on it. Temps should be right around freezing at night.

My biggest win this year was an Enlightend Equipment RevelationX quilt. Light, cheap, warm, very well made. I like the first one so much I bought a second one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tanner

Dislikes-

Every single pair of boots I've ever worn. From now on I'm wearing lowcut Merrell Phaser Peaks and gaiters.

Tanner

Tanner, you might want to try a pair of Zamberlans.
I bought a pair last Winter and really like them. They appear to be very well made boots, wear them all day walking and they are very comfortable. Reasonably stiff but didn't require much of a break-in.

Of course feet are subjective but they might work for you.

You probably have bigger feet but if you are a size 10.5(M) order a pair and if they don't fit I'll buy them from you. Was thinking about getting a spare pair anyway before they discontinue the model.

http://www.amazon.com/Zamberlan-631...amp;sr=8-14&keywords=zamberlan+boots

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anything that is blow-up will have issues sooner or later, which is one reason I carry a 1/4" Evazote pad to use on top of any inflatable.

LOL, who said they hadn't had one fail? What I said was, I've had good performance from them over the past 30 years. I don't think a leak or two cancels that, I've had not-so-good performance from other brands. You're not the only one who carries a closed cell pad. They have a lot of other uses, besides just as a back-up.

Anyway, from the number of comments about Neoairs, it appears I'm not the only one who thinks Thermarest makes good products.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My feet are too hard to fit. For boots, I'm limited to what they sell at Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabelas (when I can get to Boise) because I have to try them on.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is the problem ordering boots/clothing on-line.

No where local to buy good boots though so I take my chances ordering.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Anything that is blow-up will have issues sooner or later, which is one reason I carry a 1/4" Evazote pad to use on top of any inflatable.

LOL, who said they hadn't had one fail? What I said was, I've had good performance from them over the past 30 years. I don't think a leak or two cancels that, I've had not-so-good performance from other brands. You're not the only one who carries a closed cell pad. They have a lot of other uses, besides just as a back-up.

Anyway, from the number of comments about Neoairs, it appears I'm not the only one who thinks Thermarest makes good products.

Hey smokepole... I was talking with Maverick, not you. I haven't even read your post on this thread.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My mistake, carry on.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No worries my man.

Good news for me, a forum member who read my post on wanting to add Fibraplex poles to my Hubba alerted me to a NIB pair over at backpackinglight.com for sale at $80.

They're on their way...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've had a big Agnes inflatable fail on a spring trip that involved mostly slick rock. It sucked !!!!!! That being said, I have taken just the down mat UL7 on a couple trips but it is always against my better judgement. IMO nothing compares to the down mat line ... But they are heavier than I would like and my philosophy is the best gear is what gets used a lot. If it was lighter it would get used more

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (5sdad, Akhutr, Amos63, Anaconda, 673, 14 invisible), 1,464 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,870
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.