Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dude, a 700 ADL comes with a POS scope with no turrets for about 400$

That's why it would tell me the whole story.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certainly don't need a custom rig to pull off a 500 yard shot......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No Schitt.

I wanted to see the scope. If anyone here is telling me you don't need good equipment to make first round hits at long range, we have more ethics problems than I thought.

BTW, if you go hunting in an area that happens to be a change in elevation of 3000 feet from where your load was developed and you're using that data, you really have problems.

Originally Posted by BackCountryMulies
... but if you can imagine in all that excitement you forgot your 3000' feet higher in elevation than your turrets burnt for...

Last edited by rcamuglia; 11/15/13.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wildwyo
As for my lack of posts, I have learned quite a bit reading on here but have always hesitated to post much.

And I can see why you have hesitated! Since rcamuglia has pretty much called you out for some unknown reason. Which I guess if you decide not to post anything in the future, I completely understand, frankly in my eyes rcamuglia is far from honorable with this attack on you! And actually borders obnoxious! Good for you rcamuglia you've also probably caused other lurkers to be hesitant. Good for YOU! If you run every body off the sand lot you'll be playing with yourself. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wildwyo
Ok, here is a situation that happened to me this fall. I was hunting a canyon and spotted this elk. The closest that it was humanly possible to get to it was 565Yds.[Linked Image][Linked Image] I shoot a gun that I am very comfortable with at that distance, is it ethical to set up for the shot?

When you come here and post this without telling us you were shooting off of an unsteady rest with data for a load developed at 3000 feet lower in elevation, you're damn right I'm calling him out!

He missed with elevation because of his data. A complete ROOKIE mistake.

Now I'll go play in my sandbox by myself. LOL! grin

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

When you come here and post this without telling us you were shooting off of an unsteady rest with data for a load developed at 3000 feet lower in elevation, you're damn right I'm calling him out!

He missed with elevation because of his data. A complete ROOKIE mistake.

If anyone disagrees with this, they have a problem with preparation and ethics as well

Obviously wild bill falls into that category.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Come on at me, rcamuglia, I'll be your huckleberry! I can be at your place by Saturday afternoon, just give me your addy! And I'll show you my knowledge of ballistics! I like embarrassing know it alls!

BTW: your signature line is really fitting you!

Before you go fondle yourself in the sand box rcamuglia, Those words are mine not wildwyo's I am thinking to myself outload here, I was trying to give you the situation he may have encountered. If you are going to be a keyboard warrior you need to learn to pay better attention to detail! For example my gun and load development is for 5500' I hunt from 200' to 12,000' before I had a br2 I would print drop charts for the elevation I was expecting to hunt and use a MOA turret rather than yardage.. However I have never had the opportunity to put a bull like that in the crosshairs, Been on the spotter end allot and it is a challenge to keep your composer and keep all ducks in a row.

How many bulls like that have you ever pulled down on? how calm and collected where you? Have you ever missed, or do you only remember the shots you have successfully made?

Going back to my past question you have yet to answer.. why would a $2000 complete setup that shoots .5 moa tell you the entire story over a $7500 complete .5 moa setup? you avoided this by the 700 ADL with a pkg scope which was obvious he did not have when he said "I dialed down and the second shot hit" you where looking for a point to attack and when he showed you a very nice rifle you went at him. You have crossed that obnoxious line and showed everyone reading this thread what kind of person falls under your handle smile

No one is denying the elevation but 3000' elevation is minimal @ 500 yards.. You talk a big game but how much experience do you truley have? I have read allot of books and talk to some of the best long range shooters in the industry but all that talk comes to surface when you have a rifle in front of you and a gong at a mile...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Come on at me, rcamuglia, I'll be your huckleberry! I can be at your place by Saturday afternoon, just give me your addy! And I'll show you my knowledge of ballistics! I like embarrassing know it alls!

BTW: your signature line is really fitting you!

LOL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No Schitt.

I wanted to see the scope.

Don't need a $2500 scope either. No Schitt. Price tags and ethics aint one in the same. Kinda like smoking a 2 iron past Joe Golfer and his new $500 driver.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you "forget" you're hunting at an elevation 3000 feet higher than your data is for and you use that data, you get an "F" for doing your homework.

To answer wildwyo's first question now that I know all the particulars of his shot (unsteady rest, using the wrong data) I'd say the shot was on the edge of "ethical" for him

For anyone with a clue and shooting prone it's a [bleep] chip shot.

5000' vs 8000' with the slowest gun in my arsenal 6.5 x284 shooting a 140gr berger @ 2995 fps

51 inches - 49.8 inches of drop @ 575 yards like I said it was minimal not a rookie mistake

Last edited by BackCountryMulies; 11/15/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're probably right, but not taking atmospheric changes into consideration when going on a trophy hunt or a big competition is a big mistake if you give a [bleep] about hitting what you aim at.

Windage errors are forgivable, elevation on a 2 foot target, not so much

S
Shod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
rcamuglia, no offense sir but I think you are out of line. Not because you offered what may very well be some good advice but because the way you offered it was in great distaste sir. It certainly is not how I was brought up to treat a new guest.

Shod

Last edited by Shod; 11/15/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if fact is distaste, I'll live with it.

I'm not big these days on "feelings"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand this argument about a cheap scope. Until recently everything I shot except my .454 had a Tasco on it. I made lots of first round hits in the 500 yard range on rock chucks with those scopes by dialing.

The reason I moved to the Swarovski and Bushnell is for low light performance and 5-25X in the Swaro and eye clearance with the Bushnell on the .375.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Shod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well if fact is distaste, I'll live with it.

I'm not big these days on "feelings"

Well one thing you are big on is shooting your mouth while hiding behind a screen.

Shod

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GFY Shod

Dialed and shot at the same range the giant elk was.

565 from sticks, seated....

[Linked Image]

Dialed and shot at 440 prone...

[Linked Image]

Dialed and shot at. 934 actually...

[Linked Image]

All of the above were shot with verified data taking atmosphere into consideration with a factory rifle and a 500$ scope with turrets that functions properly

Custom rig with 600$ scope that works. Kestrel was used to determine atmosphere and input into Ballistic AE before leaving the truck in the morning.

760 yards into a 3" kill area

[Linked Image]

If you'd like to talk about my placement in Big Practical First Round only counts Competitions, we can do that too

I'd even have more fun filling you in on my huge wins over 20 years with a shotgun.

Talk about getting it done under pressure, you haven't a hint of a [bleep] Clue.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
There is a difference between a close range running shot that goes bad and a long range shot that is intentionally taken and goes bad. Neither shot is acceptable in my opinion, but one is taken in desperation because that is all that is offered and the other is intentionally taken knowing the risks. There is a difference. Like I said, neither is acceptable, you should know your limits and respect the animal you are hunting. I have yet to see a "running game hunting" forum, site or a hunter who will only take shots if the animal is hauling ass.

S
Shod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Goodgreif RC....you gotta be kidding me. Show me one picture of a game animal that has a set of horns that your hand doesn't cover up because so far your nothing but a pussy shooter. I think the real reason your so pissed is you've never been able to get an elk like wyo's and your somehow construing in your mind that shooting is hunting and therefore your a great hunter. I got news for you pal. So far your nothing but a joke. Now post some real pics.

Shod

Page 8 of 17 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (2500HD, 06hunter59, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 31 invisible), 12,086 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,234
Posts18,544,203
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.