-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, space can be a problem. If you can design one like you describe. Sell me your plans so I can build one.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made my own using an old boat winch. Works well. May adapt a little electric to it this winter. Also considering an addition sleeve to increase the height for elk. I initially built it for 'bring-your-own-tree' antelope country in Wyoming.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by woods_walker
Pete E

Not to hijack the thread..... What are your thoughts on a better way to load game in a truck? I seem to recall at one time you spoke of a winch set up.

I think a winch and a ramp set up is better in most respects..

If its going to be used with any regularity, I'd say get a 12V ATV winch and work out a way of mounting in the bed of the vehicle if its a pick up, preferably with a bit of height..

This is what I use with an aluminum ramp... I load a ton of elk every year and a handfull of buffalo without a problem...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All that gear and hardware is a long way to where you want to go. I bought a Warn ATV recovery winch and then bolted a pipe mounting bracket to the front of the box. I fastened 2 "Eye" bolts to the mounting channel to bolt the winch to for pulling.

The recovery winch has cables that go to the battery with a power control that allows you to pull the animals into the back of the truck by yourself. I have pictured the "Eye" bolts in the back of my truck, although we used the winch with a friend of mine's truck and rope where we didn't have the bracket, showing how easy the recovery winch and a ramp make it for loading animals as big as elk by yourself...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
elkhuntinguide,

Nice looking set up..How do those electric winches hold up being out in the weather all the while? I know they should be designed to take it, but just wondering if constant wet weather would be a problem a year or two down the line?

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 11/13/13.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Peter...

That winch in the pic has been on there for a lil over 4 years now... I've never had a problem with the Warn winches and the weather... I've burnt up a relay here and there but never a winch motor... The elements don't seem to bother it...

-A

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Yes, space can be a problem. If you can design one like you describe. Sell me your plans so I can build one.
I'll keep you posted. Our hope is to not sell the plans, but sell the hoists! My neighbor's an engineer at a metal plant, so having used this one it's got our wheels turning for a "better mousetrap".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wyoming Game and Fish uses the same setup as Elk Hunting guide.
Here's a picture of them loading a SECOND road killed moose into the back of the truck.

[Linked Image]

Most of Game and Fishes trucks have this setup on them so I'd guess it works well and they don't have any weather issues with it.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude in the back of the truck is in harms way!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Peter...

That winch in the pic has been on there for a lil over 4 years now... I've never had a problem with the Warn winches and the weather... I've burnt up a relay here and there but never a winch motor... The elements don't seem to bother it...

-A

Thanks for that..no doubt buying a quality item like Warne also helps in that regard..

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
After talking to Shrapnel, I put together a setup just like he describes and have the same type of recovery winch (Warne). I haven't had occasion to use it to load an elk into the back of the truck just yet since my elk hunting success has been very poor over the last few years. However, I put together a similar setup in my shop along the floor joists to the second floor. I used the setup to hang my deer just last week and it didn't even grunt, hoisting it up so I could hang it. One item I added to my truck bed system was a metal roller on bearings that I can mount very quickly on the end of my tailgate. That way, the winch rope (mine is synthetic) can easily roll on the roller as it pulls the animal into the bed. This saves the rope and my tailgate from getting messed up and the animal will roll right over the roller into the bed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Google Monarch Feeders, Arlington, Texas. They make a great one, not to expensive, works great

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I built this one many years back before they were even in stores. Its height adjustable via take out lengths of tube. I can pin it in 1 place or swivel it 360*. My boat winch hand crank works great & saves my back.
[Linked Image]

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is a pic of a serious lifter....a buddy of mine uses it. We made a two piece like most of the rest shown on here and I thought this might be of interest to some of you. CS

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Boy, I bet that HE was "good eating", eh, Jim?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kutenay
Boy, I bet that HE was "good eating", eh, Jim?

You bet, the blacker they are the better the eating.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CS,

Very interesting picture! I take it that crane is a commercial unit? I have seen similar although albeit simpler DIY unit that used a bottle jack to provide the power to lift the boom, although it was not telescopic as the one in the pic appears to be?

Is that trailer something thats been put together for moose hunting, or a work trailer thats just pressed into service during the hunting season?

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe the crane is an engine hoist...the trailer is a custom hunting trailer...note the stabilizer jacks in the front corners.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a hoist but a hanging bar for skinning.

Two 1" square tubes bolted to the truck bed through existing holes, one 2x4 and some pipe. Sets up in about 30 seconds or less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Not a hoist but a hanging bar for skinning.

Two 1" square tubes bolted to the truck bed through existing holes, one 2x4 and some pipe. Sets up in about 30 seconds or less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pretty creative, and portable for places with no trees to use for hanging poles. How sturdy is it?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,708
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.