Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Remove the ramrod and forearm and then remove the barrel. The firing pin bushing is slotted for a flat blade screwdriver. Remove the bushing and the firing pin and spring come out. Clean any residue in the firing pin recess and clean the spring and firing pin.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Also, a lot of the firing pins have ridges on them. They don't slide through the firing pin housing as they should. I take some emery cloth, and smooth them out.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Should Have bought a Chevy...the Sabot would have bounced off.

So, where is your Dad's new vent hole located?

Last edited by slg888; 11/20/13.
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
The bullet entered the electrical junction box as I was informed it is called, destroying that, and ended up behind the door hinge with no exit hole to the outside. If I did not show you the entrance you would never see it. But it was a one shot DRT due to the computer and wiring. Haha.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lucky you didn't have a fire with the wiring shorting out.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm heading home Kevin, will get a new Iphone tomorrow. Or try have this one repaired if possible.

I seen a guy shoot a hole thru his Blazer floorboard into the transmission few yrs back.

K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Why you heading back already. Thought you staying and hunting 2 bucks up there.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
24 below next 3 days...f*ck that. Moved it till next year. Plus it seems your having trouble killing a nice 9 point, guess I'll have to help.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Can't believe I dropped my new Iphone 5 into a cup of coffee.... what is the chance of that happening. smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
obviously very good.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sorry to here about your experience . It sure would scare the hell out of a fella . Glad no one was hurt .
In all honesty though its firearms design . They all can do that not just CVA , not just modern muzzleloaders . In fact not just muzzleloaders .
I had a Marlin 30.30 that started doing just what you describe one year .
I had set the rifle up against a tree turned to take a wiz and BOOM .
Turned out to be the spring . The FP would jam up and while the hammer appeared to be all the way down , it was in fact not . There was just enough pressure still being applied to the fp that when it finally decide to move , it would hit with enough force to set the shell off.
Remington had the same problem with their semi autos .
Back when I was doing my apprenticeship I remember a guy bring one in to the shop .. With that rifle it turned out to be the cold that was effecting it . IE the lube was gumming the works up .
The first round would fire then the gun wouldn�t fire . You could even cycle the gun and she still wouldn�t fire . But set it down and seconds to even minutes later it would go off ..

Anyway , my point is that everything has a invisible self destruct date . doesn�t mater what it is , be it guns , cars , planes , us �. You name it . All we can do is try and put that date of by building and maintain the item . Sometimes however even that doesn�t work and the item fails . Sometimes with catastrophic results

In your case , its not really the design as the firing pin application used , has been around since the old Hammer gun designs . Even longer concerning bolt / plunger actions .
Thus I would say the problem was with the part . Replace it with a new one . If you don�t trust CVA to send you one of better quality , then find an aftermarket one . But frankly those can fail as well .

Its one of those reasons why practice so much gun safety as the only safe gun is on that factually know to be un loaded .

[Linked Image]
K
kevinJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Not having trouble killing him, because so far this year I am batting 1000. I'm having a hard time seeing him to kill him. If I see him he will die. No misses

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This forum's turning into Facebook

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Your catching on.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tmitch
This forum's turning into Facebook

Isn't that where nerds hangout? You a member?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JBO69
obviously very good.

LMAO. Sorry to hear that Stoney.

CVAs are JUNK. Always have been. The company knows it and still don't care. Their track record speaks for itself, to anyone wise enough to listen. Their piss poor attitude bothers me even more than their piss poor products. They'd like you to think it was/is only the now infamous recalled rifles that have QC/safety issues. This couldn't be further from the truth............

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The hammer IMO was pulled back, most likely from falling and then setting it off. Any time you place a gun on a front seat and then go about doing something else, anything can happen to it. Who knows how it was placed. The story will never get to what actually may have happened.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
I was gonna try those condoms, but I heard that with a condom, the animal isn't really dead.

If you're using one of those condoms it doesn't matter what the load is because you're going to be shooting blanks.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigblock455
The hammer IMO was pulled back, most likely from falling and then setting it off. Any time you place a gun on a front seat and then go about doing something else, anything can happen to it. Who knows how it was placed. The story will never get to what actually may have happened.

Yeah.

I don't doubt what happened but think it should be pretty easily trouble shot as to the cause.
It is easy to create myths via the internet.

As the story went father to son to us we are at third hand.
Did the OP disassemble the firing pin assembly in his previous cleaning?

Was the broken spring rusted or crushed via assembly?
How would that keep the firing pin protruding tightly?
What was keeping the firing pin protruding a bit?
Was there marring evident on it.
If you look at thing methodically the mystery usually can be dispelled.
But now we have a issue that "can happen at anytime".
Rather than put the rifle in the back of the safe might as well cut it up with a torch so no one is in danger and space isn't taken up

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nobody has come close to explaining how it could have fired 25 seconds after the action was closed. If the hammer was never pulled back after the action was closed.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,964
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.