Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

3. S&W M&P Shield, again great size CCW pistol that is accurate and comfortable. Problem is finding one at decent price. MSRP is $449 and many places are charging a premium and used are around $400 IF you can find one. I am breaking this one in and so far it is super nice, accurate and ergonomically great for me.

This.

Shoot a Shield before you buy something else. My 9mm Shield shoots like a much, much larger handgun. It is also something that the women I work with love to shoot when I take out new shooters.

Slim. Easy to carry. Mine didn't require any "break-in" it just shot great right out of the box.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
I live in a state that is super liberal and comes up with a poor rating for gun laws.

We are shall issue for even non residence, no class of any kind is required, and they don't care what you carry. Open carry is legal and our preemption law means you can open carry throughout the state. I am 6'1" and 200. I carry a full sized mil spec 1911 every day all day. With a good holster and heavy duty belt I can even carry in hot weather with just a tee shirt untucked.
If WA is that easy to get a permit, why won't they accept Idaho's permit? They probably just don't want to miss out on the fees.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The whys of the laws are beyond my comprehension. crazy

It is shall issue for you here and that is a lot better than Oregon who by law cannot enter into reciprocity with any other state and darned few sheriffs will issue non resident. Mine should be here any day. I have considered an Idaho permit but not really sure what the advantage would be.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by BountyHunter

3. S&W M&P Shield, again great size CCW pistol that is accurate and comfortable. Problem is finding one at decent price. MSRP is $449 and many places are charging a premium and used are around $400 IF you can find one. I am breaking this one in and so far it is super nice, accurate and ergonomically great for me.

This.

Shoot a Shield before you buy something else. My 9mm Shield shoots like a much, much larger handgun. It is also something that the women I work with love to shoot when I take out new shooters.

Slim. Easy to carry. Mine didn't require any "break-in" it just shot great right out of the box.

Shields in stock. $360 for the .40 and $380 for the 9mm.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=180020

I also recommend M&Ps, in whatever size you want to carry.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
No qualification even needed here. All I have to do is to pay my $15 to the sheriff for a 5 year permit. I can open carry without it but any pistol is considered concealed when within reach in an automobile and would then require a CC permit.

As far as pistols, take a hard look at the Glock 36, Glock 19, Springfield XD-S or Kahr PM-CM 9.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I carry a S&W 637 38sp. in front pocket in a pocket holster, or a S&W MP9c in 9mm if on belt.

If you're not able to go to a range and try out various guns, see if the shop will allow you to dry fire the ones your interested in. My mother got her permit and had been waiting on a Walther she'd shot and ordered and got sick of waiting and grabbed a Ruger 380. She didn't dry fire and didn't like the trigger once she got to the range. Got her through until the Walther arrived though.

No matter what you carry, practice and then buy defense ammo and make sure it hits where you want and functions properly.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
The whys of the laws are beyond my comprehension. crazy

It is shall issue for you here and that is a lot better than Oregon who by law cannot enter into reciprocity with any other state and darned few sheriffs will issue non resident. Mine should be here any day. I have considered an Idaho permit but not really sure what the advantage would be.
If you have a WA permit, ID will accept it. No need to get an ID one.

― George Orwell

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't really understand reciprocity laws from state to state. Is a CCW permit a state license to carry concealed, or is it federal so if issued in 1 area can be legal anywhere in US? If I got one in Wisconsin could I legally carry to other states? Info appreciated. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This site might be some help.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tjk
I don't really understand reciprocity laws from state to state. Is a CCW permit a state license to carry concealed, or is it federal so if issued in 1 area can be legal anywhere in US? If I got one in Wisconsin could I legally carry to other states? Info appreciated. Thanks.

Concealed permits are state issued.

The answer to your question on reciprocity is a long and convoluted one.

Each state has it's own rules and regs as to the laws for carrying, the laws that dictate what constitues legal use of force etc. Each state also has laws and regs dictating what other states' ccw permits are recognized.

There are a number of websites that lists each state and what other states' ccw permits they recognize. These sites often summarize each individual state's ccw laws. Concealedcarry.org comes to mind.

Montana MOFO
IC B3

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the replies.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
/quote]If WA is that easy to get a permit, why won't they accept Idaho's permit? They probably just don't want to miss out on the fees. [/quote]

ID CCW permit allows 18 year-olds to carry pistols but WA requires permit holders to be at least 21 years old. That's the reason given for the one-way 'reciprocity'. WA CCW issuing authority is local LE, so it is a good CCW state for those in Eastern WA. Don't know about the rest of the state.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
WA is shall issue. No problem getting one anywhere even for non residents.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If WA is that easy to get a permit, why won't they accept Idaho's permit? They probably just don't want to miss out on the fees.

I'm only going off memory but I believe the issue is that Idaho doesn't check applicants against mental health roles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by tjk

Concealed permits are state issued.

The answer to your question on reciprocity is a long and convoluted one.

Each state has it's own rules and regs as to the laws for carrying, the laws that dictate what constitues legal use of force etc. Each state also has laws and regs dictating what other states' ccw permits are recognized.

There are a number of websites that lists each state and what other states' ccw permits they recognize. These sites often summarize each individual state's ccw laws. Concealedcarry.org comes to mind.
There have been lots of calls for a national permit, but with our current congress, I highly doubt that we'd like the result.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MallardAddict

I'm only going off memory but I believe the issue is that Idaho doesn't check applicants against mental health roles.
We're a red state. We don't have mental health problems. grin

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
National permit is not a good idea. The Feds can shut down permission as easily as they can grant it. Then no one would be "allowed" to carry.

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
silly children, we have a ccw in arizona, used mainly to facilitate gun purchases.
because,
we passed a law that says any law abiding non criminal can carry concealed in arizona, you don't need permission from the King or his minions.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
as to the type of weapon, that depends. My wife cannot work a semiauto, her hands are arthritic. So that limits to two inch revolvers.
it's also hot most of the time in most of arizona, and the uniform of the day is mostly shorts and a t shirt. Kind of difficult to conceal a 14round springfield .45 xd. I tend to go back and forth, kind of like when picking out a hammer to do a certain job.
i have a fondness for little colt or smith two inch revolvers, but but as in saturday running around and running into possible situations, a friends comment about having a hi capacity glock makes sense sometimes. It's somewhat conditional upon what you percieve the threat level to be.
i have what i call a baby glock. It originally was a .357sig. Now has aftermarket barrel, in .357 sig, .40s&w, and 9mm. It can be what caliber i want it to be. And it also accepts full size extended capacity mags too.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/26/13.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We're a red state. We don't have mental health problems. grin

That is a GREAT answer! I shure as heck can't say it about my state. crazy

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 257 mag, 21, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,476
Posts18,508,622
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.