-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have noticed that people tend to shun buying a reblued or refinished Savage 99 on Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and also at the LGS.
What are your thoughts on buying a professionally restored that looks as good as the day it was manufactured?
Why would you or would you not buy such a rifle?

To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will. Ronald Regan.

NRA Life Member, US Army Veteran

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Collectors want everything to be original.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chappy,

Real easy, for the price some are asking for reblues, you can get originals.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with restorations is that when people get around to selling the gun they think they are entitled to recover their investment.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Nothing wrong with a restoration if you plan on keeping the gun forever, but they are a poor investment.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Uncle has made a living for decades trading firearms and he told me a few things regarding reblues. "Why would you paint over a Rembrandt?" The other thing he said if you buy original condition, but not pristine condition, taking the piece out shooting does not affect their value. Be careful to be shuffling money not just spending it.

I have tried to emulate his behavior and follow his advice. However I think I am more like the squirrel, an accumulator.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Chappy410
I have noticed that people tend to shun buying a reblued or refinished Savage 99 on Gunbroker.com, GunsAmerica.com and also at the LGS.
What are your thoughts on buying a professionally restored that looks as good as the day it was manufactured?

Chappy...

As a hunter/shooter (not a "Collector"), it doesn't matter to me whether a fine rifle, shotgun or handgun is re-blued or not as long as it's done well and the lettering on the firearm is original and not blurred or damaged. But in the final analysis, even a shooter like me would prefer a firearm with original bluing.

However, it's easily understandable why a person who collects fine firearms would want any firearm they bought to be completely original... i.e., exactly the way it came from the factory.

This Forum is called "Savage Collectors"... even tho' a fair number of us aren't collectors, but just guys who appreciate a fine rifle, shotgun or handgun and find the Savage Model 99 to be an excellent example to be one.

I only own a single Model 99, but it's my "go-to" rifle for deer hunting and has been ever since I've owned it. And, frankly, even though I was a hunter for over 60 years, I have never felt there was a better eastern deer rifle than the Model 99. Thus, my reason for desiring & owning a pristine 1953 Model 99 (EG) in .300 Savage caliber.

Some crazy gun-owners like me simply like to own the BEST... and let's face it, there isn't a better made or better looking rifle on earth for deer hunting than a Model 99 EG, but of course, Joe (MadDog), a valued member of this Forum, wouldn't agree with me. But that's ok 'cause Joe is a bit "odd", don't cha know! Hahahahahahaha... laugh ... but we "treasure" him anyway. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 99guy
The problem with restorations is that when people get around to selling the gun they think they are entitled to recover their investment.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Nothing wrong with a restoration if you plan on keeping the gun forever, but they are a poor investment.

I agree 99guy. I have no problem buying a professional refinish job but not at like new original condition price. The other thing is most refinish jobs i see are on the wood and are amateur at best.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
there are great restorations(doug turnbull) than there are bubba reblues values will vary greatly
buyer beware

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ron_T
But that's ok 'cause Joe is a bit "odd", don't cha know! Hahahahahahaha... laugh ... but we "treasure" him anyway. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Hmmmmm.....been called a peckerhead sumbitch and a few four letter words lots of times but never "odd".

That's something new, thanks Ron. Strength & Honor.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think a lot of dealers ask collectable prices for guns that have been altered, sometimes significantly. I own five and all five have been altered. The ones under five hundred seem to sell with regularity at the auctions. I would like an unaltered one some day but I like to shoot them so it is not a big deal. I just am not paying 700 or 800 dollars for one that has 4 or 5 holes drilled in it where there should not be holes.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by Ron_T
But that's ok 'cause Joe is a bit "odd", don't cha know! Hahahahahahaha... laugh ... but we "treasure" him anyway. grin

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Hmmmmm.....been called a peckerhead sumbitch and a few four letter words lots of times but never "odd".

That's something new, thanks Ron. Strength & Honor.

Well, ol' buddy, it's better than calling you what you wrote about yourself... which, incidentally, I don't agree with it... you wrote: "24 hour sarcastic S.O.B." and everyone knows you're only a S.O.B. half of that time! You're asleep, eating or hunting the other half of that time. Hahahahahahahaha... grin

Ron

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I buy them to hunt or shoot, if the price is right. If the price is close to that of an original, I'd shun the reblue/refinished and buy an original.

It's kind of like not buying a car with a Salvage title. Why bother if you can get one that hasn't had to be rebuilt?

Example, I bought the bottom gun even though it was reblued and refinished. But I didn't pay anywhere near what an original would be. A very early 1899A SR with special order pistol grip and checkering is a fun gun to have.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fine lookin' rifles, Rory... smile

And I agree with your thinking on re-blued/refinished Model 99s or any firearm.

Ron

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Heck if it's nice buy it. Hunt the refinished ones, save the originals.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love the Savage 99 and currently have 11 in the gun room....all but a couple altered in some way or another. As a shooter/hunter more than a collector, these rifles are much more useful to me than a "pristine" collectable. I find a 99 that has been drill & tapped, refinished and/or reblued and even with the stock shortened just a bit to be much more desirable....for my use....than a "perfect" example.

With that said.....I also don't pay full "collector" price for these rifles and I DON'T alter any true collectable guns I do buy. In my younger days I made the mistake of drilling and refinishing a few rifles that made my friends who did collect almost cry.

They taught me better and now when I find a really nice "original" 99 I either steer them toward it, or even better, buy it myself and "trade" them for a less perfect example I can hunt with without damaging it's value. A few times (when the price was REALLY right, and a "cash-plus" trade), I've ended up with a "free" rifle, while they obtained a desirable example for less money than they normally would have paid. Everyone comes out the winner then.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
TexasRick, you're a good friend to have!!! grin

LOL

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.