Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have 5 lbs of Varget I scrounged up during the current sequester made up of 3 different lot codes. I'll use this for .223 and 7mm-08 primarily. Was thinking it would be good to just mix it all together and have it standardized. Concerned about what vessel to use with regard to static charge buildup. Would a large stainless bowl suffice? Would a large plastic bowl be better since the powder comes from the factory in plastic? Or am I over complicating the issue.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I think you'd have better luck just segregating your handloads by powder lot, if you think lot-to-lot variation is going to matter in your rifles for your purposes.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shootem
I have 5 lbs of Varget I scrounged up during the current sequester made up of 3 different lot codes. I'll use this for .223 and 7mm-08 primarily. Was thinking it would be good to just mix it all together and have it standardized. Concerned about what vessel to use with regard to static charge buildup. Would a large stainless bowl suffice? Would a large plastic bowl be better since the powder comes from the factory in plastic? Or am I over complicating the issue.

Use your tumbler. If we don't hear from you again, we'll know it didn't work very well grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shootem
Or am I over complicating the issue.

Yes.

Last edited by battue; 11/26/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've yet to find much variation in changing over from an older lot to a newer lot from the same era, but I do run a few groups through my Chronograph to check for excess variation. That said, if I still had some old Hodgdon surplus powder (for example) I would work up my load all over if I replaced it with Australian made - I would expect some change then.
Ps What I'm saying is leave them in their original plastic bottles.

Last edited by Odessa; 11/27/13.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A coupla plastic totes, dump it all in, pour back and forth, done.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kind of a related deal. I have been wondering how Rem., Win. and Fed. etc. load safely for rifles they have never seen and keep the velocity within reason? We are always warned to drop back and work back up when we change a component such as Brass, primers, new lots of powders since every rifle is a law unto itself. Surely the laws do not just apply to us handloaders. For instance, how would I safely load for a rifle that I do not have in my hands to test the loads as I proceed? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This would make for a good article in "Handloader". As an aside, I have never noticed a difference when changing lot numbers with Varget and have never worried about it. Just me.........

Last edited by lastround; 11/27/13.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What if there is a recall on a particular lot number?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think this "solution" to lot/lot variation would be worse than the problem. for one thing, how could you ever be assured that the lots were mixed evenly?

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Set up 3 different powder measures when you load. Load one with one lot and so on.

Lets say you are charging your 223 with 27grs of Varget, just dumb 9 grains from each measure into your case. Make sure the lot number that is in the middle of the other 2 is also your second powder measure.

You can reverse order with your powder measures when dealing with the 1st and 3rd but always keep the 2nd the 2nd.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Set up 3 different powder measures when you load. Load one with one lot and so on.

Lets say you are charging your 223 with 27grs of Varget, just dumb 9 grains from each measure into your case. Make sure the lot number that is in the middle of the other 2 is also your second powder measure.

You can reverse order with your powder measures when dealing with the 1st and 3rd but always keep the 2nd the 2nd.

I don't think they will get it. whistle Do you realize that you are now responsible for someone buying 2 more powder measures? grin

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good point, you could do it with one measure. If you have say 100 cases then charge all of them with 9grs of powder from one lot. Then empty the measure and add the middle lot number to it and charge again. Repeat for the final lot.

Thanks, didn't think of the one powder measure approach.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are a very bad man. How can you sleep at night? I hope I can find a Black Friday sale on some measures.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
But you shouldn't do any of this until you've tumbled and trimmed the cases, chamfered and de-burred them, made the flash holes uniform and de-burred them as well, plus weighed your cases and or systematically checked them all for water capacity and sort them by .10 of a grain. Check them for uniform neck thickness, ream inside and out if necessary, make sure they are sorted by the obvious brand, number of firings etc.
Go on to your bullets and run each one of them on a concentricity comparator and sort out the 'culls. Weigh each one, and again sort by .10 gr.
When this is done make sure the temp. and humidity levels in your loading room are right, go outside, count the stars in the sky�and you are all set! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Now that's just silly, stay on point please.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
you are using lapua brass, right? otherwise this will all be a waste of time

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Using three powder measures is unnecessary. Just get a pair of tweezers and take a kernel of powder from each lot and place in new container, repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i kept an 8 pound jug and pour new varget into it. i am sure i have 4 different lots in there. as long as one can isn't 10 yrs old and one is new, i don't think it will be an issue. i try to use it up every so often so i don't have very old powder being carried over forever.

if i blow myself up i will come back as a box of barnes bullets and let steelie know. lol

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would shot a group from each lot for group and over a chronograph. You might not be able to tell the difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (204guy, 222ND, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 257 mag, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,249
Posts18,525,115
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.