Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,251 of 1,842 1 2 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Me and Big D will be heading to Chickenbuck for 2nd weekend of muzzleloader. What kind of tasty eat's should I bring ND?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What ever you like, dood.

We'll give the deers a rest until you guys get up here.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Justin's one sider.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice,

As always, good work Capt.

Paul.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This buck was a wanderer. I do not have this buck on cam and neither does Justin. He's a newbie.

They say that when racks get screwed up like that on one side its due to an injury on the opposite side of the deer. Like a bounce off a vehicle would create.

Wonder if thats what happened here?

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I have a couple of friends that raise penned freak deer.

I have absolutely zero interest in the penned deer freak show but they seem to like it so, each to their own.

One of these guys was telling me about concern for the pedicle on one of his prized pen freaks that ran into the fence and screwed up it's rack early in velvet. He said that pedicle damage is permanent and once damaged, that side of the rack will never fix itself.

So, as I understand it, if they bust one side early in velvet and damage the pedicle, they gonna be a goofy spike or stump on that side for ever.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I have a couple of friends that raise penned freak deer.

I have absolutely zero interest in the penned deer freak show but they seem to like it so, each to their own.

One of these guys was telling me about concern for the pedicle on one of his prized pen freaks that ran into the fence and screwed up it's rack early in velvet. He said that pedicle damage is permanent and once damaged, that side of the rack will never fix itself.

So, as I understand it, if they bust one side early in velvet and damage the pedicle, they gonna be a goofy spike or stump on that side for ever.

Interesting. I wonder if it affects the next generation or if his fawn buck deer come out "normal"?

Wouldn't it be sumptin if that was a direct descendant of Waylon's one sider? Same exact area where it was shot.

Last edited by Rooster7; 11/27/13.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
That one (Waylon's), was busted off, and seemed to be post velvet break with the base intact, just broken. (you'll see when you come up to camp)

But no, It's not going to effect offspring, not pedicle damage.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave's right on, Physical damage to an animal won't be passed down, it doesn't change the genetics in anyway.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Makes sense. Hopefully he bred a lot of does! smile

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool buck. So he wasn't busted off, just grew that way? No wonder henwas hanging around the captain....just wanted to be put out of his misery.

grin

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Dave's right on, Physical damage to an animal won't be passed down, it doesn't change the genetics in anyway.

I think humans are the only critters that have figured out how to screw up our offspring with damage to ourselves.

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I think humans are the only critters that have figured out how to screw up our offspring with damage to ourselves.

That's because deer can't smoke

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Or drink.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Makes sense. Hopefully he bred a lot of does! smile

Rooster...

I read this in too much of a hurry...I thought you were referring to Mr. ND.....you just about got a lecture, but now I'm simply laughing. grin

Carry on everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving! I don't think I'll be back on tomorrow.

This past year has me reflecting on a lot of things that has happened, or maybe that just happens when you get older and yes I'm feeling old all of a sudden. Anyways I'm so thankful for this life I've been given, for my husband-my rock, my opposite, my best friend of 20+ yrs, our kids-what a blessing each of them are in their own goofy ways, for all the family and friends that takes the time to come up here and visit us, for our new place, for our jobs, for our laughter and tears. Thankful for our health and thankful for a place where we can go to make memories...Camp Chickenbuck. Thank you everyone for being with us on this journey we've taken the past 6 years.

"I'm not crying!!"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Well said Ma

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Big weekend for muzzleloading coming up. Whos headed out. YOu tom? Dave? anyone? CHickenbuck?

I am too lazy to find my regs book in the pile of crap I need to put away, so, dumb question time: when I used to muzzle-load, you could only do that OR rifle. Now you can do both, but can you buy a muzzle-loading tag if you've already shot deer with rifle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Big weekend for muzzleloading coming up. Whos headed out. YOu tom? Dave? anyone? CHickenbuck?

I am too lazy to find my regs book in the pile of crap I need to put away, so, dumb question time: when I used to muzzle-load, you could only do that OR rifle. Now you can do both, but can you buy a muzzle-loading tag if you've already shot deer with rifle?

yes you can,but you can only tag one buck a year.
some areas you can only tag one deer, period.
I tagged my doe in area 197,(Lottery)so I cant tag any more deer in lottery areas, but I can tag another deer in a different area,even more than one in some.
I am BP hunting in area 338 (managed)this weekend,and can tag two more deer there ,even a buck if he has 4 or more points on one side.
My son ,being a "youth" doesn't need to abide by antler point restrictions, and can tag any deer, two even, but only one buck.

perfectly clear? laugh

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fluffy
Originally Posted by goalie

yes you can,but you can only tag one buck a year.
some areas you can only tag one deer, period.
I tagged my doe in area 197,(Lottery)so I cant tag any more deer in lottery areas, but I can tag another deer in a different area,even more than one in some.
I am BP hunting in area 338 (managed)this weekend,and can tag two more deer there ,even a buck if he has 4 or more points on one side.
My son ,being a "youth" doesn't need to abide by antler point restrictions, and can tag any deer, two even, but only one buck.

perfectly clear? laugh

OK, gotta grab my book from the pile I guess.

So, since I shot a buck and a doe in 242, and that is all I was allowed in 242, I would have to muzzle-load a different area?

In the old days, you just got one either-sex muzzle-loader tag for the whole state, but you couldn't rifle hunt AND muzzle-load.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Now you can do both. I'm yet to shoot a buck so I'm hopin for horns with GG but I believe there is antler point rest. where we are going as well. It may ne the same unit as Fluffy actually.

Fluffer.... You didn't have a buck decoy up during gun season did ya? grin

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1,251 of 1,842 1 2 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.