Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Hi a few weeks ago, there was a posting of a website that sold folding knives, that used interchangeable scalpel blades, does anyone know the website or what i'm talking about thanks

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like this? Havalon

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
exactly, thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before purchasing it may be enlightning to read this thread: candlepowerforums

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks, it doesn't look as useful as I first thought, looks like I'd be better off with a good quality pocket knife

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Used one this weekend, they are great for skinning and cape removal.

My eastern Oregon friends have used them for game processing for some years now and I am glad they showed me how well they work.

I was doing some homework on them and google turned up this thread.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boise
Before purchasing it may be enlightning to read this thread: candlepowerforums

I have a Havalon Piranta...it is an awesome little knife, contrary to what some posters on that other site were writing. I initially just used it for taking scent glands off and opening up around the anus and splitting the hide before dressing my game animals out with my trusty old fixed blade knives. NOW I will use it for the entire job, always razor sharp, light to carry and it does it all, including skinning and caping. Just put a new blade in if it gets a little dull. It's not built for prying or dragging through briskets....I've never broken a blade and the locking mechanism is sound. I highly recommend them.

I did an entire black bear with it this fall, and a mule deer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
if you want a real folder, that is scalpel sharp yet looks great, these Spydercos are the ticket. Military and a Para Military 2. S30V steel. laugh
[Linked Image]

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I keep a few of these from Gerber in all my packs and bags. Don't know how many times I have used them for everything from cleaning game to opening stuff. Pretty versatile. I generally use one as money clip.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have tried using a Havalon. I found them to feel very awkward!

Too lite, no balance and trying to change the blade in the cold and darkness with older eyes is a crap shoot. Just not my cup of tea.

IMO there are far better choices than the Havalon, but then again nobody really asked for my opinion laugh

Last edited by rta48; 11/18/13.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
hell, even if they DID ask for your opinion here, if yours does not agree with theirs, you will get called a stupid [bleep] that knows nothing. laugh

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hell that would make me feel at home laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rta48
I have tried using a Havalon. I found them to feel very awkward!

Too lite, no balance and trying to change the blade in the cold and darkness with older eyes is a crap shoot. Just not my cup of tea.

IMO there are far better choices than the Havalon, but then again nobody really asked for my opinion laugh

Name one or two please. I have not seen others yet.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think it would be great while setting in the shop taken the hide of the head

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just now saw your reply and that of Rick. Well, I have several of Rick's knife that serve's my needs just as well and they are much safer to operate IMO. Plus they balance so well when working with them.

Rick, Capeing duties is where the 16 bore shines! Hell, I have been tempted to use the little Bose pairer that Vince hafted, it work do very well for that also.

The 16 bore just works for me, for many different projects! I use it a lot.

Randy

Last edited by rta48; 11/24/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Havalon worked great! They make a nice accompanying blade to go along with whatever else you are using. For fine detail work bust one out. For more laborious work requiring something more firm, break out your Ingram, Menefee, or whatever else you might be using.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the Halvalon would really shine for high volume trappers and fur takers.
A freind sent me one a while back and while I haven't used it yet I can see where it could be useful in the fur shed. I'm not planning to throw out my other skinners but I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about come trapping season.
FWIW,,, mine's the Pyranta model, it looks to be pretty well thought out and constructed as far as I can see.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mebeso good face skinner. Have trouble around eyes sometime.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have owned a havilon for over four years. It works great for cutting thin pieces of paper/leather/fabric etc. I find it works the best at cutting fireline too.

When I first got it I gutted, skinned and boned out a javelina. Got right to the end where I had to separate the head from the body and broke the only blade I brought...had to use a tiny pen knife to finish.

I prefer a fixed blade knife but sometimes use the havalon for the first cuts through the dulling hair to keep the knife sharp.

This past Sunday two friends helped me take a jr hunter out and they used their Havilons to completely bone out the coues wt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i use the newer havalon, aluminum handle with the thicker blades, i have actually quit carrying any of my other knives, winstons, gerber, ect, with a pack of 6 or 7 extra blades i am good to go for a whole season and never a dull knife, also minimal weight ,

for boning out animals and then my wyoming saw to remove horns i am set for about anything,,

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.