Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
One time, at band camp........

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I remember one night in St. Maries (that St Joe country- we were working out of Calder Ranger Station) about 2 am on a July night seeing a Bronco come down main street with an elk tied on top.

Since we were all underage and drunk it was probably a wise decision not to flag down the Sheriff car we passed a couple blocks later... Don't know outcome.

I know of three instances where porcupines were initially mistaken for bears - two of them I was involved in, but only one where I made the ID... alpine country, and it took the spotting scope to sort it out. Biggest danged porky I ever saw, too.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fotis
When I went through hunters safety in NY in the 80's we were shown pic of a hispanic lad from the city that had a huge deer mounted on his car hood.

Unfortunately it was a donkey.

Points for effort seem deserving of the situation at least. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What does donkey taste like?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
J
JeffP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Sadly when I read the original article, I thought it was an anomaly .
In my wildest dreams I can't image the mistake much less all the others
posted.
My MO was to try to bait the resident hunters who want to ban the nonresident
hunters because they do stupid things,wanton waste, not safe in wilderness , etc....
The shooter being a resident being the irony.

We are our own worst enemies.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard of guys mistaking turkey vultures for wild turkeys.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If he had turned himself in, admitting his screw up what would have happened to him?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have heard of guys mistaking turkey vultures for wild turkeys.

I can match that, a couple of older Italians used to come from Melbourne each year to shoot black ducks, they shot them, processed them, and took them home for their families to eat...that's right, you guessed it they were shooting crows.

It has been the local joke here for some considerable time, mainly because they simply would not be convinced that the birds were not "black ducks".

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was in my early 20's I was hunting at Fort Hunter Liggett in CA. In the low-light early evening, I almost mistook a tule elk for a deer (I had a doe tag, so horns were not an issue). At that time, I had never seen a tule elk before, but didn't shoot because I knew it was too large for a coastal blacktail. I could see making an error based on inexperience, but trying to cover it up is another matter.

Kevin Haile
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 444Matt
If he had turned himself in, admitting his screw up what would have happened to him?

This year in GMU 18, Colorado, a bow hunter did just that. Shot a cow moose thinking it was a cow elk! Colorado has a law that if you turn yourself in the fine ain't as heavy. Turned out just so. He was a local too! Good enough to kill with a bow but not good enough to tell the difference??? Retired game officer told us this story. We all just scratched our heads!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not much typically. Here in Colorado we typically use a basic regulation violation that'll run someone about $70 for a self reported accidental kill(spike on a cow tag, etc) or a careless hunting ticket (usually $500 for killing the wrong species), often followed with a few written warnings. Don't self report and take care of the meat, you often get the book thrown at you.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
When I was in my early 20's I was hunting at Fort Hunter Liggett in CA. In the low-light early evening, I almost mistook a tule elk for a deer (I had a doe tag, so horns were not an issue). At that time, I had never seen a tule elk before, but didn't shoot because I knew it was too large for a coastal blacktail. I could see making an error based on inexperience, but trying to cover it up is another matter.

I've spent a few months there, would love to hunt it! It was the only time I've seen elk in person, also the old mission out there is pretty cool!

Last edited by 444Matt; 11/29/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by exbiologist

Not much typically. Here in Colorado we typically use a basic regulation violation that'll run someone about $70 for a self reported accidental kill(spike on a cow tag, etc) or a careless hunting ticket (usually $500 for killing the wrong species), often followed with a few written warnings. Don't self report and take care of the meat, you often get the book thrown at you.

That is very reasonable.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I can beat this story. I went up to Utah to visit a friend, opener of deer season was that day. The hills were full of horses and riders both wearing full blaze camo. I thought, how crazy are they?

That night on the news, a guy had been shot off his 4 wheeler while riding down the road with a deer on the back of the 4 wheeler!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've seen it happen to mule deer in WT only zones...you think people would know but they either don't or just shoot and ask questions later. Just want to kill something so they can be a "hunter".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

tastes like ass

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

tastes like ass

You seem experienced. What does ass taste like?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well Donkey of course!

unless you were serious, in that case it was a metaphor and a play on words or "pun". (ass is another word for donkey) wink

I'm surprised no one quipped on it earlier. must be one of them mornings

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wonder how many reading this thread have been guilty of shooting the wrong animal. I'll bet a few.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
well Donkey of course!

unless you were serious, in that case it was a metaphor and a play on words or "pun". (ass is another word for donkey) wink

I'm surprised no one quipped on it earlier. must be one of them mornings

I know a donkey is also called an ass, and no, I wasn't serious.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,271
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.