Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the faster you drive a partition the worse it performs. The ones I have recovered looked like nothing more than a small pencil eraser - no mushroom effect whatsoever. I believe the front nose portion is just too soft, and therefore, basically useless and you get a pencil eraser size projectile driving deep into the animal. I think they perform much better at moderate speeds where the frontal portion won't be completely destroyed - but who wants to shoot a 240 at moderate speeds?

HR IC

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That's the kinda info I'm looking for.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
I think the faster you drive a partition the worse it performs. The ones I have recovered looked like nothing more than a small pencil eraser - no mushroom effect whatsoever. I believe the front nose portion is just too soft, and therefore, basically useless and you get a pencil eraser size projectile driving deep into the animal. I think they perform much better at moderate speeds where the frontal portion won't be completely destroyed - but who wants to shoot a 240 at moderate speeds?

I've seen exactly the opposite of everything you have posted on this thread. Yes partitions shed the front core, they have been doing that forever. Coupled with the rear core penetration, it's what makes them extremely efficient slayers of critters large and small.

I've always seen larger wound channels with partitions v/s Barnes, always! This is because of the front core separation trait that the Partition exhibits, not despite it. These days, I rarely shoot a Barnes at deer based on several almost surgical (compared to Partitions) wound channels and thin blood trails. Some people love them for deer and I'm ok with that but based on my observations they just don't work as well on deer as Partitions. It's not even close when Ballistic Tips are thrown in the conversation.

Large or small calibers, make no difference (IMO). In fact the .224" 60gr Nosler Partition may be the deadliest "little" deer bullet I've ever worked with in several high stepping .224's. That said, the original suggestion of 95gr B-tips is a good one only because I know they kill even quicker.............!

X-VERMINATOR[i][/i]

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Would you push 85 gr. NPT's at 3,500 fps or 95 gr. NBT's at 3,350 fps. in a .240, chest shooting WT's?

Will the fast NPT open up too soon with a big entrance hole and the small rear section just slice on through, or is there a big wound channel all the way thru?

I've heard that the newer NBT's are a lot tougher than the older ones. My experience with those older ones wasn't that good and it would take a real leap of faith for me to use them again.

DF

V
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
V
DF,

Per nosler's website, they don't recommend pushing the NBT's faster than 3200. That is why I was looking at the partition or the 90 grn acubond

Aim Small, Miss Small
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have some 90 gr. NAB's loaded, ready for the range.

My best shooting load, so far, is the 90 gr. Scenar. I think I'm going to hunt with them for the time being. I'd like to see what one will do to a WT.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I dunno xverminator, seems to me that using your reasoning of the front core being so explosive that the partitions would be quicker killer than even the ballistic tips and we both know that is not the case. I haven't seen the large wound channels you talk about in partitions; in fact, that is exactly why I won't use them.

When you step down to .224 a partition might be a better option than a varmit style bullet that is going to explode on the hide of the animal; in this case, a partition might be preferable just because it will reach the other side.

Of course, this is just my opinion based on my observations and several friends. I have other friends that love the partition.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DF,

The 90-grain E-Tip and Ramshot Magnum worked very well in my .240. Muzzle velocity was around 3400 fps.

My wife mostly used the rifle, and before I started loading E-Tips she never had any trouble killing Montana deer with 100-grain Nosler Partitions at 3250 or so, whether in Weatherby factory loads or my handloads. But then she hasn't had any trouble killing Montana deer with 100-grain Partitions from a .243 Winchester either--including her biggest-bodied whitetail buck. In fact, none have ever gone more than 25 yards after being hit with either the .240 or .243.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have friends who swear by Partitions, too.

I think they are good general purpose bullets that do a lot of things very well. My bud uses 130 gr. NPT's in his .270 and hammers stuff.

High speed 6mm's may be a more specialized utilization and that's why I'm "beating a dead horse" on these details. The Devil IS in the details, IMHO... shocked

I want max performance out of my .240, doing a specific job, chest shooting WT deer for max effect with the least amount of travel after the hit and as many DRT's as possible.

For other applications, I'd probably go with something else. For example, busting hogs, I think monometals and hard premium bullets would do great. I wouldn't pass up a shot with a VLD or Scenar, however...

The handloader has almost too many options at his fingertips... smile A "high level" problem, for sure.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DF,

The 90-grain E-Tip and Ramshot Magnum worked very well in my .240. Muzzle velocity was around 3400 fps.

My wife mostly used the rifle, and before I started loading E-Tips she never had any trouble killing Montana deer with 100-grain Nosler Partitions at 3250 or so, whether in Weatherby factory loads or my handloads. But then she hasn't had any trouble killing Montana deer with 100-grain Partitions from a .243 Winchester either--including her biggest-bodied whitetail buck. In fact, none have ever gone more than 25 yards after being hit with either the .240 or .243.

Yeah, those girls have a way of making us guys look bad... blush

When they shoot, stuff dies... cool

What kinda wound channel and internal destruction did you see with the E-Tip? Was it about like a TTSX or TSX?

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
DF,

This schit really is very easy.

Stuff a 105 Scenar in front of '22 and rock on...as they are far and away the most rugged of the upper echelon BC's.

Most will exit.

Hint.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Abut like a TTSX, or maybe even a little wider. I've tested some E-Tips in dry newspaper next to TSX's and TTSX's, and the E-Tips definitely open wider than standard TSX's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
DF,

I'm just flat gun shy on my 6-06 right now. I know it's due to the shooter and not the gun, but I just have to have complete confidence in a rig and it's just slipped too far for me with the 6-06 for now. Far too many rigs in the safe with much better track records I guess. It all started with the 90NABs at 3500 on my first season with the gun last year. Shot 4 into deer and didn't have one exit. One didn't even make it to the off ribs on a broadside shot behind the shoulder. Another made it to the off side on a small body deer, but it was merely the base of the jacket with no lead attached(I know they're bonded, but it just looked like you colored what was left of the jacket with a pencil). The last was the last straw for the NABs in that rig: Shot a small doe near water and purposely shot her in the shoulder for a short track at a mere 150yds. No blood at impact, and finally found little drops while following tracks. Small drops led to water and I lost all sign. Looked for hours and went back the next day to look again. I think she must have sank in a deep area. Anyway, I wanted TSX or ETIPs to shoot, but I tried to no avail with many powders and the best I could get was around 4" at 250. That in a rifle that bugholes darn near any CNC I've tried. This year I loaded 85NPTs at 3600 in it thinking they'd out do the NABs. I shot a nice buck at a mere 160yds and heard the bullet make a loud crack. No blood at all and no tracks to follow(loose sand with 1000s of tracks everywhere). Back to shooter error as I earlier mentioned. Yes, I probably missed that deer even though I think not, but it has been a while and I'm about due I guess. Sorry for the ramble, my point was to look past the NAB. I will be switching to 100NPTs in the rig, sacrificing flatter trajectory, and mainly trying to build confidence in an awesome rifle that has left a bitter taste in my mouth to date.

Have a good one DF,

loder

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
DF,

Forgot to mention that I have a couple full boxes of the 90NETs left you can have if you want to give them a try. I really wanted those pills to shoot, they sort of have it all in my eyes for the MVs we're pushing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no experience with the 85 grainer but would have zero problems doing what you want to do with the 95gr B-tip. I used it extensively for years on deer out of a 6mm AI @3300fps with zero issues.....Still use it in 243's standard and AI.

Much like LA we have a very liberal bag limit when it comes to shooting deer. We take full advantage of it and I get the opportunity to see performance results of several different kinds of bullets every year. Ballistic tips flat work on deer, period!

You really don't have to over thinking this.......... I guess my best advice is load something up, go shoot deer with it, then form your own conclusions!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
xverminator,

Do you normally get an exit and a blood trail with the 95 NBT?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by xverminator
I have no experience with the 85 grainer but would have zero problems doing what you want to do with the 95gr B-tip. I used it extensively for years on deer out of a 6mm AI @3300fps with zero issues.....Still use it in 243's standard and AI.

Much like LA we have a very liberal bag limit when it comes to shooting deer. We take full advantage of it and I get the opportunity to see performance results of several different kinds of bullets every year. Ballistic tips flat work on deer, period!

You really don't have to over thinking this.......... I guess my best advice is load something up, go shoot deer with it, then form your own conclusions!

X-VERMINATOR

Appreciate the info.

I well may be over thinking this, but I'm out there every weekend, killing deer. A good friend has a 1,000 acre high fence on a 2,000 acre river bottom place and needs to kill 20 does. We're up to around 9 or 10, a bunch left to test bullets on. Enclosure doesn't mean it's not hunting, as most of it is woods and they're pretty elusive. He has cameras out and fairly often gets a photo of a buck never before photographed. We also hunt outside the enclosure.

My hunting lease is free range and about 30 miles farther down the Red River, with 5 miles of river frontage, 2,000 acres of crops, 4,000 acres in CRP and woods with shooting lanes, food plots, lodge, shooting ranges, etc.

At the first place, the rut is winding down. At the second place, the rut cranks up after Christmas. So close, but yet so different.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
xverminator,

Do you normally get an exit and a blood trail with the 95 NBT?

Yep......Same with 115's via the 257 @3350......

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

X-VERMINATOR

Appreciate the info.

I well may be over thinking this, but I'm out there every weekend, killing deer. A good friend has a 1,000 acre high fence on a 2,000 acre river bottom place and needs to kill 20 does. We're up to around 9 or 10, a bunch left to test bullets on. Enclosure doesn't mean it's not hunting, as most of it is woods and they're pretty elusive. He has cameras out and fairly often gets a photo of a buck never before photographed. We also hunt outside the enclosure.

My hunting lease is free range and about 30 miles farther down the Red River, with 5 miles of river frontage, 2,000 acres of crops, 4,000 acres in CRP and woods with shooting lanes, food plots, lodge, shooting ranges, etc.

At the first place, the rut is winding down. At the second place, the rut cranks up after Christmas. So close, but yet so different.

DF

Sounds like the perfect test bed. Now get to work!

X-VERMINATOR

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

X-VERMINATOR

Appreciate the info.

DF

Sounds like the perfect test bed. Now get to work!

X-VERMINATOR

10-4

laugh

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 37L1, 35, 23 invisible), 1,754 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,623
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.