Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Best shooting I think was... on the way up for an elk hunt I stopped to get some quail for the trip. There was a desert wash that went under the highway and held some coveys down it. I shot 15 birds with 18 shells and had six doubles. I chalked it up to a new reload I tried... 1 1/8th 6 shot booked at 1300 fps and no cripples... just one of those good days.

Kent

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes, I would say you are definitely gifted Rob. That takes more than luck.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/02/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I never miss unless I'm with somebody.

But deadly by myself. And I ain't lyin.'

Ya can't miss if ya have one of these grin

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...dl-44-blaster-from-star-379-c-44e307f3bc

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My wife and kids shoot better than me. I should never have taught them to shoot.

At least they let me clean the guns after we get home.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Shot a buck once at just over 400 yds off hand, while i was taking a chit. I'm a good shot with a rifle or pistol and fair with a shotgun.

Bet you can't do that standing up and when your mind isn't occupied. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm a spot shooter, crazy accurate and scary as hell.

not when I want to be, but when I need to be.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
When I was 14, I nailed a pheasant on the fly with my .22 single shot.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can hit the puddle in a commode. Most of the time. Do my best work sitting down.

I like slow twist, heavy for bore.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shot Platoon and Series High Shooter in Boot Camp.
One tour in the Marines, 4th Award Expert Rifleman
I got there knowing how to shoot
and came out knowing how to shoot Better.
I have my days with a shotgun and very
comfortable with a pistol.
I LIKE GUNS!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Ray
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm better than some, not as good as a lot, and can pull some pretty amazing (lucky) shots out of nowhere sometimes when I need it most.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
The older I get the better I was. I did get a few hours off at MCRD San Diego to go to the navy base to see if I wanted to be a sniper. I'm better with a handgun though. With a shot gun.... not so much.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
What is your best shot? Was it accident or skill?

How well do you really shoot?

Are you best with a rifle, pistol or shotgun?

What range are you accurate?

Can you hit a running target?

Tell us or show us what you use, and how you use it.

With all the hunting, shooting, and stuff, you don't hear about the misses much. Just wondering how good with a gun you consider yourself to be...

You wouldn't believe it if I told you.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Longest shot 802 yards on caribou, rifle, 338 win mag. 2 hits in a row since the first didn't roll him over. Former 4H shooter spotting for me. First round hit of course. That was with optics
With irons long is 565 or 556, I can never remember which, doe, witnessed by about 4 of 5 other hunters with me that day. That after they'd ragged me about hearing I was an ok shot. Shot a doe in the head at something around 300 yards.

I"m ok with a rifle. Shot a test round at a rock prior to an almost 1000 yard shot, hit maybe 5 inches low, bottom of the rock I was shooting at for testing the wind call, the sheep left after the shot so no shot.

I was rated High Master with an AR15 service rifle both in XC (200-600 yards iron sights) and LR (600 to 1000 with irons also). I am distinguished rifleman, a couple P100 tabs, and NRA American Rifleman award for a 99% in a leg match of all things IE no sighters given. IIRC there were 5 shot in the nation that year.

I was pretty good with a bow, 2 best shots were on the ground, a doe and a pig. Both at 3 steps with a recurve. Over 100 big game animals with a bow when I quit counting. But bow takes too much of my time these days so I don't do it much.

Pistols I"m ok with. DA revolvers suck. I have 20 of the 30 points needed for my pistol distinguished badge. I almost had that in 3 mathces only, which is unheard of really, but crossfired on the last match.... lost. Have not shot a match since. Need to finish that.

MZ I do fine with, kills to over 300 yards so far, some with irons some with optics Closest on the MZ, got powder burns. I was laid up on a fence line, buck walked the trail the other side of the wire. Had to wait for him to get past a hair before I could swing and fire... I'd say powder burns for sure.

I suck with a shotgun.
I'd like to learn that but its counter productive to rifle shooting and I would like to get back to 1000 yard iron stuff wiht an AR, I still had one particular goal in mind there.

There are tons better than me. And I"m rusty nowdays. But for what its worth, I kinda just think of me as a hold my own shooter and nothing more.

Running targets are out. No way to practice and I refuse to do something I'm not proven good enough at.

My best ranges are 300 yards and in, thats a gimme shot.

I do miss at times though, everyone does. Unfortunately I shoot well enough that I don't miss often, but do make a not perfect hit from time to time. I"d personally rather miss.

Best shot by chance.. dumbass me took a running shot at a doe crossing a field, young and dumb and on a bit of a bet, might have even been a beer or two involved in the day. 243. Something over 500 yards is all I know, we stepped it off going backwards after we drove out to her, she fell mid stride. Hole in the neck. Never did that again. As I said I don't do running shots. Just that one time.

Most memorable... outsmarting an OLD whitetail doe with varying stand settings and being able to arrow her. She would come by, snort, run everything off and never give you a shot when she came back to eat by herself...... All the bucks I've shot have been easy gimme shots.

Average shot used to be around 60-70 yards as thats what I preferred as a kid. Now its more like 150 or so as I like to give em a bit of room from where I"m set up.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
More than one woman told me I was better with my gun than my rifle.

That musta been before you started to bat for the other team...........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Shot a buck once at just over 400 yds off hand, while i was taking a chit. I'm a good shot with a rifle or pistol and fair with a shotgun.

That ain't off hand. Its sitting. Well squatting I guess......

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
More than one woman told me I was better with my gun than my rifle.

That musta been before you started to bat for the other team...........

grin

The difference in a heterosexual Dimocrap and a queer is 2 six packs of beer. wink

Last edited by eyeball; 12/02/13.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
With a shotgun I'm well below average. Never been much good although I have had a few "good" days.

With an open sighted handgun I sucketh majorly. Just have a hard time focusing on the sights and calling the shot. But with a laser or scope I'm pretty good. Once killed a jackrabbit with a head shot at 97 steps using my 2x scoped S&W 686. Have taken several small birds out to 60 yards or so with a red dot sighted Ruger 22/45.

Last year I killed three bobcats with my laser equipped Glock 20 at around 35-40 yards. The first two were head shots. The third being a running shot that hit just forward of the hips. That shot however was purely dumb luck and I claim no skill contributed to it.
[Linked Image]

With a rifle I'm probably just above average. I tend to think I'm pretty fast at working a bolt action and aiming it quickly. Some of the best shooting I ever did was at a group of smallish hogs at a corn feeder in the edge of a field, that later ranged to be 345 yards away. Using my Howa sporter .22-250rem. the first pig dropped in his trackes under the feeder and the group scattered. When the scoped settled I picked up a second hog that had paused near the first. He made it about 30 yards before going down. As I racked my last round in another pig stopped at about 250 yards and I dropped him also.

Running shots are a crap shoot. I have a trouble maintaining lead and following through with my swing so I usually just snap shoot. The one time I made a perfect running shot was a coyote at about 70 yards with my long barreled Kimber .22-250rem. He rolled at the shot to my amazement, probably mostly luck tho.

One time I had three feral dogs come out into the road/sendero I was watching while deer hunting. They were messing around a bait pile about 120 yards away when I picked out the largest one and dropped him on the spot using my Model 70 .243win. The sound of the bullet hitting their pack mate made the other two run down the road directly at me. I dropped both of them before they had gotten within 60 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's hard to for me to judge what "average" is.

I've won some 600 yds egg shoots. But the shots that have impressed me the most are the ones that I have made where I didn't have time to think, or take any time getting "comfy". I have made several shots where I've wondered how many guys out of a 100 could have actually pulled them off. I'm certain none of the guys I hunt with could have made them. I'm also certain that it took me years of experience to get that skilled. Shots I simply was not fast enough or capable of when I was still wet behind the ears.

Again, hard for me to say what average is. For all I know, 50% of the guys on this site may have made those shots, or maybe only 5% would have made them..........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a pretty good trick shot. Just don't ask me to do it twice.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 23 invisible), 14,756 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,966
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.