Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,256 of 1,842 1 2 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by big drift

A spud bar, some spikes, and length of rope will save a lot of heartache.

That's what we used. We used it to chop the holes actually. smile

I'm a big chicken about gettin on the ice early. This is the first time I've ever done it before Christmas. There wasn't a drop of snow on it and it was plenty thick. Trust me...I'm too fat to be walking on thin ice. But there was NO WAY in hell I'd take a vehicle of any kind on it.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I walked around our lake last Sunday in about 4-6 feet of water looking at the fish. Prolly had about 6-8 inches of ice.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
WOW, my story cannot compare to CharlieFoxtrots. I just worked my way to the gasline, sat down and fell asleep. Hey give me a break it was 55 degrees and the sun was on my face, LOL. Woke up and saw a deer on the line, pushed my glasses up and checked it out with the bino, doe. Picked up my rifle and took a shot, not realizing my glasses were on my forehead. Miss, pulled the glasses down, and watched it walk off, wait there is another. Glasses down in proper position, shoot and DRT. Nice doe, meat in the freezer.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
TGB,

You're not the first cat to take a nap on post. lol. grin I may have done that a time or two. Congrats on the deer. Sometimes it's nice to be lucky.

Last edited by tzone; 12/04/13.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
made venison tenderloin stroganoff tonight
Kendra LOVED it!
super easy recipe, can't take credit, got it from Bobcape here on the 'fire. thought I'd share
2 venison tenderloins
1/3 cup burgandy cooking wine
1/3 cup water
1/2 stick butter
1/4 chopped white onion
4 oz (half package) of mushrooms
season with garlic, pepper and salt.
saute until reduced

add
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
4oz sour cream

thicken to desired consistency

put over egg noodles or rice

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SSB
CFT, thats one heck of a write up and solo adventure! What area of the NLP were you in?

SSB, I deer hunted state land by Lovells about 12 miles east of Grayling and Fredric. That land is used by the National Guard the other 50 weeks of the year, but during deer season our army is bigger than their's. laugh. Duck hunted the south arm of Lake Charlevoix.

Interestingly, the day before season we were near the Air to Surface Range watching 2 A-10 Warthogs doing low passes firing at surface targets, then pulling up while dropping chaf and flares. One guy came by pretty close as we could clearly see him in the cockpit turning his head. That 30mm Gatling gun sounds like a very loud burp and I would not want to be on the receiving end.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Topgunbill
WOW, my story cannot compare to CharlieFoxtrots. I just worked my way to the gasline, sat down and fell asleep. Hey give me a break it was 55 degrees and the sun was on my face, LOL. Woke up and saw a deer on the line, pushed my glasses up and checked it out with the bino, doe. Picked up my rifle and took a shot, not realizing my glasses were on my forehead. Miss, pulled the glasses down, and watched it walk off, wait there is another. Glasses down in proper position, shoot and DRT. Nice doe, meat in the freezer.

Congratulations! My hunts are generally pretty boring. And I assure you that I enjoy a good nap too. In fact, it's one of the things I'm good at! wink

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by SSB
CFT, thats one heck of a write up and solo adventure! What area of the NLP were you in?

SSB, I deer hunted state land by Lovells about 12 miles east of Grayling and Fredric. That land is used by the National Guard the other 50 weeks of the year, but during deer season our army is bigger than their's. laugh. Duck hunted the south arm of Lake Charlevoix.

Interestingly, the day before season we were near the Air to Surface Range watching 2 A-10 Warthogs doing low passes firing at surface targets, then pulling up while dropping chaf and flares. One guy came by pretty close as we could clearly see him in the cockpit turning his head. That 30mm Gatling gun sounds like a very loud burp and I would not want to be on the receiving end.

It feels like forever ago for me, but 20-25 years ago, makes me about 11-16 years old at the time, I remember being in Arizona visiting my grandparents, and seeing these A-10's. They were the loudest, and just plain bad-azz looking airplanes I had ever seen.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Love the A10's. Wish we would have had them in Nam for ground support. Although the old Douglas A1E's did a fair job with their six 50 Cals and rockets.

33" of snow at Two Harbors, MN. Sure wouldn't want to be shoveling that. Even a big walk behind blower would grunt.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Bubbajay,

I was pretty into planes as a kid too. The A-10 was my favorite. They're pretty BA and can carry a big load of weapons. So ugly they're cool lookin.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jeezus! they can have it! Back in 91 (i think) Duluth and the surrounding area got 38" or snow on Halloween, then 3-4 more inches the next day. It was crazy. A buddy and I made over $400 snowblowing and shoveling driveways and sidewalks over the next few days. People kept flagging us down and we kept coming. We ended up about 5 blocks from my mom's place when the snowblower blew the motor because I never put more oil in it. eek

Guess where my $400 went? Live and learn, but that was an expensive lesson. That was an OLD Aerins blower. It was 25 years old at that time. My mom still used it up to about 4 years ago when my step-dad bought a new Toro.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Suddenly, I have use for a walk behind snow blower again. I haven't owned one for well over a decade.

The new house has sidewalks all the way around and an apron off the garage. I can only do so much with back dragging in the plow truck.

I moved snow last night, probably averaged 8" snow depth. It went well, I'll need to redo it again tonight when I get home.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
we got 2" over the last 2 days. -2 here today, we usually don't get this cold, brrrr. sounds like next week at this time it will let up.

it was so cold last night I saw a politician with his hands in his own pockets!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
did you get the new clutch in the plow truck dave? Hows it working? We got plenty of snow now for awhile. we need to build ice. Are you headed to Chickenbuck this weekend? shoudl be some snow out there too.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CharlieFox....As the crow flies you weren't too far from my place. I am about 2 miles east...and then 6 miles north of Lewiston. For future reference the door is always open here for a 'fire member. May help with those long one day hunts....

We ended up bagging 6 bucks in camp for the season after a very slow start. Once the cold set in our deer movement picked up dramatically and luckily my wife and I were there to take advantage of it.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Bubbajay,

I was pretty into planes as a kid too. The A-10 was my favorite. They're pretty BA and can carry a big load of weapons. So ugly they're cool lookin.

A-10's are BA.

Some pretty cool combat videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaQPpgaY4Y

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
did you get the new clutch in the plow truck dave? Hows it working? We got plenty of snow now for awhile. we need to build ice. Are you headed to Chickenbuck this weekend? shoudl be some snow out there too.

No I haven't changed the clutch yet. It was pretty easy work last night with the truck, I hardly touched the gas pedal.

There was plenty of snow but it wasn't hard pushing.

I doubt if I will be at camp this weekend.

Something clever here.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here are a couple of pics from our season....

Two bucks bagged by my cousins on Nov. 15....

[Linked Image]

Lisa and Trina with our late season Bucks....My 8 pt in the middle

[Linked Image]

We were blessed with good luck and the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors once again....

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Congrats on a successful hunt!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 1,256 of 1,842 1 2 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.