Hop To
Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21
F
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
F
E,

I had hoped to make it by and have some coffee with you, but by the time I was finished you were already heading out. I enjoyed your hunt thread and if I make it up there next year I will stop by before I start hunting.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Agree on most of your statements concerning body type and food. Pure simple carbs really have no place in anyone's diet except as energy suppliers when major exertion is occurring. Shied away from simple carbs alot of years ago. That simple fact would save alot of people from carrying around that extra 15-20 lbs.

Your exercise regimen is similar to my own philosophy and your criteria are in the ballpark to what I do; except the runs. I'm not running 12 miles for any reason grin

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by pointer
Ha! I'm sure I could get used to them, but I bet that first "30 sec" would drive me nutty having something between my toes.

+1 We'll see.
I got some headed this way as well.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus

185lb bench press- 20 reps
185lb back squat- 20 reps
225lb deadlift- 25 reps
Strict pull-ups- 18 reps
400m sprint- sub 60 seconds
5 mile run- 40 minutes
12 mile ruck with 72lbs- sub 3 hours

How someone works out will depend on their goals, body size, past injuries, etc.

I like that minimum list and agree with your idea of fitness. Now I just have to work on getting to that minimum! Some I know I can do, other's will take quite a bit of work on my part. I'm more pig than Clydesdale or gazelle... wink

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
FormD, you are so far above my level of conditioning it isn't even funny. But, then again, you aren't within a few months of turing 70 either.
If I get back there next season, your on. Coffee and homemade pie on me.
You are quite right that there is alot of bad information about food out there. The University of California at Berkeley has put out a news letter called the Wellness Letter for something like 20 yrs. for just that reason.
You are quite right about simple carbs and sugars. But dead wrong when it comes to complex carbs. Not to say you can't use proteins for energy, odviously you can. But it works a whole lot better if you follow the Federal Food Guidelines. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 12/10/13.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
interesting all of the comments on food for these types of adventures--no doubt a good diet is of utmost importance, no matter what you do.

but, the thing that confounds me is this;

the world renowned climber Alex Lowe--(he lived just a mile from my house, and my son and his son were classmates and friends).

the guy who did the utmost "impossible feats" in world class climbing--and would train doing 400 pull-ups, or 50 with just one arm. "superman", "the mutant", "the lung with legs", "the white knight", etc., were his nick-names. you know, incredible climbing feats like trango tower, great sail peak, rakenkniven, etc...

once, he and scenar were working out, and Pat said that Alex reached up and grabbed the 2x8 joists above him with his thumb and fingers, and began doing pull-ups by simply pinching the joists between his thumb and fingers.

while i don't know what his primary diet on climbing trips was--what confounds me is that the guy was very heavily fueled by expresso coffee...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Neat story Hi_Vel!

It always seemed to me like there are some guys out there who are simply on another level.

I worked on a fire crew with a guy who half assed worked out, and was powered by a combination of Mountain Dew, Jack Daniels, and hate. He often forgot a lunch, and rat [bleep] an MRE or ate candy bars for lunch. Ate bar pizza for supper. Despite all of this, he simply stomped everyone he met athletically. We did a hike up a mountain for PT one time with saws and full kit. Many of the crew dropped out. I puked at the end. This guy not only completed the hike easily, he did so while chain smoking cigarettes the entire hike, wafting the smoke back over his shoulder to give the rest of the crew lungs full of cigarette smoke.

I'm not saying he couldn't have been in better shape had he foregone some of his less healthy habits, but it just goes to show that some guys are animals. I've been around a few of these guys.....interestingly enough, several went SF.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Formid, thanks for the gear inventory. I have to agree about the Bushnell Fusions. I simply could not abide the "blue glass" even though the LRF component seemed very good. They went down the road.. I finally broke down with some 15x56 Geovids and have not "looked back"..Pun intended. grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by bwinters

Curious how you maintain a high level of fitness. I've missed a bunch of workouts since hunting seasons arrived and am designing a new workout schedule. Its alot easier to simply stay in shape than to get back into shape.

That's very true. One of the best things one can do is to not allow themselves to fall too far out. It also differs by person. A Clydesdale is probably going to hurt himself trying to be a Gazelle. Having said that, someone that looks like a malnurished african runner (speaking to you endurance people) is no more uaeful and probably less so in real life than a guy who is hugely muscular but can't maintain effort for more than 30 seconds. You need both forms for hunting, with a bit biased on the strength/sprint side.

As important to working out is food. This is where the vast majority struggle. There is so much BS on what to eat its not even funny. It's actually very simple; lots of protein, lots of vegetables, little carbs, and no sugar. If you are overweight or doing lots of endurance events (marathons) you will need to tweak that a bit- i.e. if your running for 2-3 hours a day, you will probably need more carbs than if you're not.

My workouts depend on what I'm doing or preparing to do however, strength is the basis of true fitness. I don't mean Arnold or fat power lifter, but pure lean strength (lifting heavy things). Followed by sprints (repetitive all out effort with short breaks between), rucking (hiking) and then a base level of running endurance.

Honestly I really don't love working out. And I might take a few weeks to a month off every once and a while. But I am required to maintain fitness. Below are my standards for what I do. Some are required, and some are my own, but I do not let myself fall below these-

185lb bench press- 20 reps
185lb back squat- 20 reps
225lb deadlift- 25 reps
Strict pull-ups- 18 reps
400m sprint- sub 60 seconds
5 mile run- 40 minutes
12 mile ruck with 72lbs- sub 3 hours

How someone works out will depend on their goals, body size, past injuries, etc.

Damn, reminds me of a youth we mentored in shooting that was training for Delta at the time. Flat amazing to me anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Form,

you surely possess significant talent/ability for writing about your adventures--in effect, "painting with words"...

any person who can generate 32,000 views in 15 days has really accomplished something of significance here.

i did enjoy the way you set forth your descriptive chronological narrative in the story. (i often responded to annabel's method of utilizing "in medias res", though sometimes he went too far by using it more than once in a story...)

a job very well done--keep on "treading that path"...

the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I used the same ammo that I have used almost exclusively for 6 or 7 years in this gun: a 178gr Hornaday AMAX with 80gr of H1000 in Winchester brass. With that I have killed well over a hundred big game.

Including two bull elk.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Neat story Hi_Vel!

It always seemed to me like there are some guys out there who are simply on another level.

I worked on a fire crew with a guy who half assed worked out, and was powered by a combination of Mountain Dew, Jack Daniels, and hate. He often forgot a lunch, and rat [bleep] an MRE or ate candy bars for lunch. Ate bar pizza for supper. Despite all of this, he simply stomped everyone he met athletically. We did a hike up a mountain for PT one time with saws and full kit. Many of the crew dropped out. I puked at the end. This guy not only completed the hike easily, he did so while chain smoking cigarettes the entire hike, wafting the smoke back over his shoulder to give the rest of the crew lungs full of cigarette smoke.

I'm not saying he couldn't have been in better shape had he foregone some of his less healthy habits, but it just goes to show that some guys are animals. I've been around a few of these guys.....interestingly enough, several went SF.

prairie goat,

that friend of yours sounds like a real anomaly to be sure, and with him being a smoker, those feats that he was capable of are nothing short of astonishing...

my wife and i used to occasionally hike/climb with a guy that was a near "beanpole" in stature, he was 6' 1'' tall, and 160 lbs--but he was really in superb condition.

my wife and i climbed a difficult peak one time that was about 6500 feet in vertical gain, and did it in about 7 hours to summit. to give you an idea of his conditioning, he did the same peak/route in just over 2 1/2 hours. his typical "diet" was unconventional to say the least. he ate a lot of elbow macaroni covered in ketchup, pop tarts, and sundry other out-of-date items such as squids, tv dinners, etc., that he procured out of a grocery dumpster near his apartment...

another comment on Lowe: whenever i saw him talking to someone--such as in a lecture hall or out at an event--i remember that he would always stand with both of his knees bent about 4-5 inches forward, so that he was basically supporting himself with the muscle strength of his legs--he would stand there like that for 15-20 minutes while talking to someone...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You done fine, just fine.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Really impressive story. I'm working on doing my first backpack hunt next year with a friend in Canada. I will condition much harder. I've been thinking of your adventure for the past week every time I lift. Thanks for the inspiration.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lift? you'd be better off humping stairs......

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
No worry huntsman. I hike the stairs with a weighted pack on each day. Once Christmas (and bow hunting) have passed I will start hiking 10-12 miles again with the pack on my back.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by roundoak
Dayum - that was special.
lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bump, because I’m an ass…..

Have fun with this.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Have fun with this.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Have fun with this.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

LMAO.......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well, there's 30 minutes I won't get back.

Page 20 of 21 1 2 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,670 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,825
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.