Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gentlemen,
<br>
<br>I received my SRH chambered for .454 on Thursday evening after work along with two boxes of ammo. One box was a box of Hornady with their 240 gr. XTP's and the other was Winchester with 260 gr Partition Golds.
<br>
<br>First of all I found the recoil to be less than expected (still a heck of a walop though). And it was a joy to shoot! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>The problem came when i was trying to remove the spent hornady's from the cylinder. The extractor was incredibly hard to actuate. I had to lean on it to get the spent casings out!! The Winchesters were a little difficult to remove but not nearly as hard at the Hornady's.
<br>
<br>Before shooting I ran a solvent patch through the barrel and the cylinder to remove any packing grease that may have been there.
<br>
<br>Should I have scrubbed it with a brush? If there was any excess packing grease in the cylinders could this have caused this problem?? Or is this a problem of overpressure? I read about the symptoms with rifles but i couldn't find any info on revolvers. The primers do not seem to be pushed out. Or worse case senario ... may i have a defective product that i need to contact Ruger about?
<br>
<br>Thank-you in advance for any all help on this topic.
<br>
<br>Have a Good Day!!
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

sig Offline
avagadro,
<br>
<br>I seriously doubt that the sticky cartridges were due to overpressue given that you used factory ammo and were shooting a new gun. Anything is possible but it would certainly be very rare.
<br>
<br>Did the cartidges slide into the chambers easily when you loaded the gun? Does the ejector travel easily without cartridges in the chamber? Was there any difference between the first set of 6 rounds and how they extracted versus the last set of 6?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
sig,
<br>
<br>The shell just drop in smoothly & the ejector works smoothly also. The first six rounds were the winchesters and they ejected fine. The next six were the hornadys and they were difficult to eject, so i tried the winchesters again and they required a little effort (a little more than before). So i figured maybe i had a bad round or two of the hornadys and tried another six of them and they required a great deal of effort to extract and the outside of the casing looked very dirty. I again went back to the winchesters and they ejected with a little more effort than either the first or second attempt.
<br>
<br>My next step is to scrub the gun well, i'm hoping that there was just a little packing grease left in the cylinder and it got dirty causeing my problem .... i hope that is all that is wrong.
<br>
<br>Thanx for the help
<br>
<br>George
<br>

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (22250rem, 1minute, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.