Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Bwana's et al,

I'll be doing some load development over the winter for a sweet little Dakota 76 chambered in .375 H&H (pictured below) and would appreciate a little guidance.

I'm a fan of the Barnes bullets in my other rifles and I'm inclined to try out the 270 and 300 gr. TTSX's as my pet "do-it-all" load of choice for Africa. I would largely be using them on a mixed bag of plains game on up to buffalo.

All of which leads me to ask...What powder(s), and how much, would you all recommend as a baseline starting point for loading the 270 and 300 gr. TTSX's?

Thanks in advance,

Allen
[Linked Image]

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
VERY NICE, your timber is much like that on my Dakota .338WM, which is now in a fine Micky-"Hill Country" synthetic, but, spent the first 15 years I owned it in it's original wooden stock...and shoots so much better than I now can hold that it is kinda embarrassing!

Can't help with loads, as I have only loaded 285 Speer GS, 300 SGKs, 300 HBTs and, best by far for me, 300 NPs. I use H-4350 as I found a deal on 10 lbs of it, but, my highest velocities were with W-760 and I only load 300s.

I got an average of 2625-2650, max. Nossie book with this powder and VERY fine groups from three P-64 Mod. 70s, I had, my old Browning Safari and the Ruger MKII I bought in Oct. 1990. All shot well and "fast" with W-760, the above figures came from the 25" bbl. of my first P-64.

So, might be worth a try in your lovely rifle.

J
J
Hello,
R-15 at 71 grain and 300 grain TSX (not TTSX)gave me 2560 fps and good accuracy. 73 grains flattened primers.
Best,
jpj3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Bwana's et al,

I'll be doing some load development over the winter for a sweet little Dakota 76 chambered in .375 H&H (pictured below) and would appreciate a little guidance.

I'm a fan of the Barnes bullets in my other rifles and I'm inclined to try out the 270 and 300 gr. TTSX's as my pet "do-it-all" load of choice for Africa. I would largely be using them on a mixed bag of plains game on up to buffalo.

All of which leads me to ask...What powder(s), and how much, would you all recommend as a baseline starting point for loading the 270 and 300 gr. TTSX's?

Thanks in advance,

Allen
[Linked Image]

I'm assuming you have a Barnes load manual then. I'd consult that and start somewhere in the middle to upper charge wt's with a good powder like H4350 or RL15 and work up until you find a good accuracy node for YOUR rifle...No shortcuts here, as every rifle is different..If your rifle shoots as good as it looks, you'll have no problem finding a few sub moa loads for it...Good luck!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks all.

I have an older Barnes manual, but I tend to pull load data off their website since it is the most current. They reference VIT N540, H4895 and RL15 for the .375 H&H.

I'm not particularly fond of RL15 as I've tended to see alarmingly flattened primers right out of the gate at lower load densities with other rifles/cartridges. Not that I wouldn't try it if there was a consensus among .375 shooters.

Now, H4350 has been one of my go-to powders, particularly in 300WSM, and one I keep a fair amount of on hand. That's one I'll definitely have to give a closer look.

Thank again,

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One load for you:
[Linked Image]

And for the TSX (courtesy of JJHACK)
270TSX 74gr RL-15 F210match primers WW brass
300gr Barnes solid: 74gr all to POI:
[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I used 75.0 gr Rl 15 and Federal mag primers under the 270gr Barnes triple shock. Great accuracy and performance on every animal I shot from Steinbok to Wildebeast. No pressure signs in my Interarms Mark X, but you might want to start at 73.0gr or so just to be safe. I hope you have a great trip.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Love the photo! (RL-15).

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
73 grains of R-15 with a 270 TSX cloverleaf's them in my CZ. 2600 fps, 3.580 OAL. I've got VIT 540 and 160, and I haven't even opened them due to the listed load.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can't help with load data but I feel compelled to compliment on the beautiful rifle and a fantastic pic.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
77 grains of H4350 with the 270-gr TSX in my then 375 shot the single smallest three-shot group I've ever shot-.38". Velocity was fairly mild at 2685 fps but it worked perfectly from impala to kudu to zebra. B [img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/04/13.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All good stuff. Thank you!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Bwana's et al,

Thanks in advance,

Allen
[Linked Image]

I have absolutely no idea but that is one beautiful picture!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't provide you with additional info on this Jorge shared my load data.

I can however confirm that a 270tsx at 2800 plus is the most deadly and fantastic load you could hope for with easily manageable recoil.

This is the standard load in my loaner rifle which has taken several hundred plains game in Africa and a dozen brown bears in SE Alaska for foreign hunters needing a rifle here.

There is not much this combination can't do. And nothing I know of that does as well at everything.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I now have a 375 Ruger (long story) and am working with the 250-gr TTSX and the 260-gr Nosler Accubond, but I would take what JJH says to the bank.

As I intimated, I took nine plains game with ten shots with the 270-gr TSX. One of those wasn't necessary.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I feel compelled to give the photography credit where it's rightfully due.

This gem of a rifle once belonged to the late Bill Krenz, an all around great guy that I was lucky enough to befriend over on the Kifaru message board. Bill was the publisher/owner of Zebra Publishing (Inside Archery, Bowhunt America, etc.). He was a gentleman to the core and had a wonderful way of discussing all things relating to firearms, archery and hunting in general. He was a gifted writer and as you can plainly see, a heck of a photographer.

Bill had let me put a few rounds down the pipe while we were at the annual Kifaru Rondy/Shootfest in Colorado. I was immediately enamored and subsequently measured all the other 375's I came across against it and found them wanting for one reason or another. Mostly because it wasn't this one.

Sometime after he passed I inquired about what his family intended to do with his collection of firearms, and in particular this very fine Dakota, but his wife Sherry wasn't quite ready to let things go at that time.

Flash forward a year or so....

As luck would have it, I had reached a point of capitulation and juuuuust as I was about to pick up the phone on a Monday morning this last summer and buy a very close twin to this one that I'd seen at the SCI Convention in Reno, I got a call from one of his sons asking me if I wanted to buy this and some other guns in Bill's collection. A few seconds later the deal was done and my search was over.

Now I just need to get across the pond and put it to good use!

Regards,

Allen

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Great story, Allen.

And, if that Dakota wasn't already special enough...

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
RL 15 is my go to powder for everything from 235 to 350gr. Start at about 71 or 72gr and work up. You don't need to go crazy on velocity, anything above 2500fps will work fine.
Have a good safari!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bushcraft,

If it is still available I would start with IMR4320.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It's nice to hear the name Bill Krenz again. He was indeed a fine fellow. While I can't say I knew him very well, we did correspond occasionally and he was most generous with his time and was a humble man. He was cut from a cloth that seems to be unavailable today.

Baxter

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,968
Posts18,480,636
Members73,958
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.