Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/ar...-continues-in-shooting-death-over-access

I'll be up there next week.. I'll see what some locals have to say about it.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta protect those newly purchased private lands. Billionaire brothers can afford good security.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What's the story on that photo Craig?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
miller- is that the "trade bait" on the Bullwhacker? I assume that's a Leaving Public Lands sign on the right of the cattle guard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtmiller
Gotta protect those newly purchased private lands. Billionaire brothers can afford good security.

[Linked Image]

Is that the N Bar?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends what you mean by N Bar. Doubt it's the original N Bar on Flatwillow and suspect it's the Anchor Ranch they bought on the Bullwhacker Road but will wait for miller to confirm. Yes, they are N Bar signs and they are showing up on the other properties they've bought so assume they are calling everything N Bar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Depends what you mean by N Bar. Doubt it's the original N Bar on Flatwillow and suspect it's the Anchor Ranch they bought on the Bullwhacker Road but will wait for miller to confirm. Yes, they are N Bar signs and they are showing up on the other properties they've bought so assume they are calling everything N Bar.

Hmmm.. I think I know the previous owner. whistle

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Royce
It seems every year the furor over land access in Montana gets more vicious. Hunters tresspass, knowingly and unwittingly, landowners close roads and land access they have no legal right to, boundaries are seldom marked on state owned land and/or Block Management Areas adding to the confusion.
As the article I have cut and pasted shows, the latest explosion resulted in a man dead, two rounds in the chest.[/b]

[b]T[b]he Montana Attorney General's Office is investigating the death of Timothy Newman, who was shot and killed about 20 miles southwest of Augusta on October 18th.

According to AG spokesman John Barnes, the AG's Prosecution Services Bureau is prosecuting the case with assistance from the Division of Criminal Investigation.

Lewis & Clark County Sheriff Leo Dutton said the case was handed over because County Attorney Leo Gallagher and several of his staff are now considered witnesses due to legal disputes between the two men involved in the shooting.

Dutton says the conflict stemmed from disagreements over road access.

Newman, 53 years old, was killed after an argument ensued between he and the alleged shooter.

According to property records and family members, Joseph Campbell is the owner of the property near where the shooting occurred.[/color]

Campbell allegedly shot Newman twice along Table Mountain Road in the Dearborn Canyon area. Newman died at the scene. Both men were carrying weapons.

In another incident involving land access dispute, a Helena area man that had been involved in an ongoing dispute with his neighbors turned up missing. Months later, various parts of his body were discovered in plastic garbage bags, dumped near one of the passes.

I like to hunt as much as the next guy, but killing over land access seems over the top to me. Way over.

Range war gone bad.

Is there a good range war?

Last edited by smarquez; 11/03/13.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Yes, former Anchor. Signs now have N-Bar. I just got back from packing 5.5 miles around it. I have no issues what they are doing, but obviously times have changed in MT. Exclude me? Exclude everyone else. I can live with that.

BTW, kinda funny way to carry a cell phone as you are walking away. These guys aren't exactly rookies. hahaha....

Last edited by mtmiller; 11/03/13.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Many years ago, a friend of mine was sheriff in an East Texas county, and also an avid hunter/fisherman. Someone not from that immediate area bought a piece of land that contained a road used by several folks to access their camp houses on the Neches River. Don't remember if it was an actual county road, or just access given by the previous owner - who probably sold the river lots to begin with. New owner didn't like people driving through his property to access theirs, so he put a fence - with no gate - across the road. This was reported to the sheriff, who told folks with camps if it was him, he'd cut the damn fence down. They did, and the owner called the sheriff to report it. Sheriff tried to reason with the guy, explained these people were not actually "on" his property, just briefly driving through to their fishing camps (I think now I recall it WAS a designated County Road). The man said that did not concern him, and that, in fact, he didn't fish, and didn't particularly like anyone who did. Sheriff responded that he, personally, did not play golf, but he didn't go out and fill in the holes on a golf course so others could not play, - then advised him it was illegal to fence across a County Road, and don't be doing it again.

IC B3

B
B
I can assure you the issue with the access in question goes back quite a ways. Not as simple as "A guy trying to trespass" to get to good hunting land. Everyone up there has used that trail going back to the 60's at least. The guy in question (Campbell) has brandished weapons on at least 5 different people when he felt no threat to himself. He has outwardly threatened the lives of several people, and even went as far as cutting off the water supply to several neighbors that comes from a spring on his property (Even though the sheriff told him to turn it back on). He has prided himself on being "King of the mountain", and gets off on bullying his neighbors. He also shut down all access to the trail right after he signed a permissive easement to the owners of the Diamond Bar X ranch because they wanted to start an outfitting company and have sole access to the state and federal lands beyond. Just saying. Don't always believe what they say in the paper. The investigation is still ongoing as well.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Royce: Could you add some clarity to this situation for me please?
Was the victim a Hunter and was he Hunting (Antelope and Black Bear were open then [October 18th] but not the General Deer and Elk seasons) at the time of the killing?
Also any particulars on the prior "legal disputes" between the victim (Mr. Newman) and the suspect (Mr. Campbell)?
IF... Mr. Newman and Mr. Campbell were involved in "legal disputes" (note the plural here!) then maybe this was not a land owner versus Hunter confrontation gone murderous?
But maybe it is some kind of hard feelings run amok as opposed to a Hunter/landowner dispute?
AND... the article you copied states the incident (killing/murder?) took place "NEAR Mr. Campbells property" - what are we to make of this?
AND... the article states the shooting took place along a named road (Table Mountain road) do you know if that named road is public access or not?
Thanks for any light you can further shed about this unfortunate/tragic killing.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by mtmiller

[Linked Image]

Wilks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This sounds more like an ongoing dispute between two landowners that finally blew up.

There was another deal like that here in Lewis & Clark county not so long ago. Fella went missing from the Turks Road area, was found later on in trash bags up near MacDonald Pass. Folks seem to know who did it, but I don't recall if there was ever enough evidence to prosecute.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Funny, when I saw the word "insanity" in the title I thought for sure there'd be a knife for sale somewhere in here. I've looked and cant find one. Huh.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Watch what you wish for. If the gov steps up and forces public land access and quits selling it off those rich pricks will have some free time and money to re-regulate public lands....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I realize it varies from state to state, but if there is, or is not, a valid easement/flag it'll show up PDQ on a trip to the local courthouse. If not, you are SOL. Plan a spy-rig/helo infil and extraction smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Funny, when I saw the word "insanity" in the title I thought for sure there'd be a knife for sale somewhere in here. I've looked and cant find one. Huh.
That's funny!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ranger1
Do away with leasing hunting rights and require property to be posted in such a way that can't be mistaken in order for trespass to have occurred. Then jack up the fine for trespass to something enormous. Problem solved.

In Washington, and I believe Idaho is the same way, a person cannot be charged with trespassing if the land is not cultivated, posted, or fenced.

Of course this doesn't help much when it's public land that has barb wire fences and may or may not be posted illegally.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,020
Posts18,500,437
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.