Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
aw yes the google experts. yes I will admit that its possible the black cougars I saw were not really there. maybe I wasn't really there. unless it's experienced on the tube or the internet it's not real. got a pretty good look at those cats,(if they were really there) and they looked black to me. maybe they had been rolling in charcoal. then again maybe it was a misplaced jag or two.

http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/deerstalkert/library/cougar

is what a cougar looks like? me, i'm not sure now that the experts say I don't know.

Last edited by deerstalker; 11/26/13.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by deerstalker; 11/26/13.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LOL, people will convince themselves of anything.

Or at least try to convince others...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
whatever turns your crank.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deerstalker
aw yes the google experts.

www.michigancougar.com/black.htm‎

Perplexing,,,, you have to admit though, at least the other google experts link worked.

Now,,, about that lottery ticket. What numbers ya gonna pick?
I'd like to get in on that deal.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
We went through this several years ago when a local highway patrol officer filmed a black cat behind his house. I saw stills of the video and it looked like a black panther to me. He got the local game warden involved as well as a biologist or two that all said the melanistic gene doesn't exist in a mountain lion. They finally discovered the black cat was a huge (for a cat) feral cat. Not nearly as big as a lion but the way it looked on film it looked far away and huge.

Optical illusion, wishful thinking and an imagination.

And no, I don't believe in Bigfoot either.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
went to the store about 3:30 went out the east gate which we almost never use, about 1/4 mile south, this damn black or almost black cat crossed the road in front of me about 50 yrds down the road, it stopped just before it went under the fence,and gave me a pretty good look.im not sure if its a dark colored young mountian lion or something else??? its color is much darker than the mountian lions we have taken here on the ranch in the past. hell i dont know what it is, but its damn sure a cat. rio7

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
this critter is here looking for food thats for sure, im going to be looking for the birds, kara-kara and vultures to see if its made a kill on the south pasture.the birds dont lie if something is dead they will tell me what it is. rio7

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Though I've never seen one (only seen one regular cougar), I was told a dark brown could be possible. But as many times as that cat has been spotted, something ain't right. Get a pic posted.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
i put game cameras out on every water hole on the s.ranch, maybe i can get a picture of this cat. will see.rio7

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oklahoma has-m around every bush so I hear. We got a cross between ML and BP.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/08/13.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
LOL, even my great grandma told stories of black panthers following her home down on the South Canadian river.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
exactly my reaction. neat animal. as far as black cougars, I have seen two in my life. one just outside Yosemite park in 1955, and one in the marble mountains in northern California in 1973. of course that one might have been big foot.

That's pretty amazing concidering very few people will ever see even one regularly colored Lion in a lifetime.

Even more amazing is the fact that all three of the links posted above say there has never been a documentated sighting of a black Lion.

You should buy a lottery ticket.

We had one that lurked on the hills by my house about 15 years ago. I didn't see it, but the neighbors watched it from their front window. They don't get any hunting pressure which may explain it.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i saw a coyote yesterday crossing the rd on the kingranch. it looked black as coal from about 4-5 hundred yards, when i drove up and gotta a closer look it was just a plain old coyote. lighting, distance and a lot of factors can cause someone to mistake something for something its not.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i saw a coyote yesterday crossing the rd on the kingranch. it looked black as coal from about 4-5 hundred yards, when i drove up and gotta a closer look it was just a plain old coyote. lighting, distance and a lot of factors can cause someone to mistake something for something its not.

I think you just explained most of the black panther sightings.

I saw a jet black cougar approach me on a calling stand. Midday, 100 yards away on the snow slope opposite my side of a draw, overcast day. I'm sure if we'd killed it it would have turned out to be a normal color, but looked black in that setting.

There is no record of a photograph, hair sample, hide, or any other objective confirmation of a single black panther/cougar. If you have such proof, you have a gold mine.

As others have noted, jaguars do come in black, and some SW sightings are likely jaguars roaming outside of usual range.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/12/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
We had one that lurked on the hills by my house about 15 years ago. I didn't see it,

I knew a guy who had a friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, pretty sure you just confirmed what I said.
"No verification just hearsay"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So many sightings of black cougars yet nary a dead critter or even a pic from one of the thousands of trail cams hanging around the country.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I contacted the local DNR person and we talked cougars in my area. He said that there was a farm about 60 miles away the had all kinds of exotic critters in fences/cages and that they have the proper permits to have them.
Granted, if I was wanting to proof, I better have the body or one hell of a good video or pic. But with animals that are in cages, there is a possibility that something could get loose. And wouldn't that be cool! smile
There was a big black cat seen by 2 people I personally know last year. I won't go any farther than that. But until there is a body��.

Youtube:
The complete idiots guide to atheism.
The Four Horseman. Discussions with Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great. Christopher Hitchens
Do not fear education.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kimberyote

There was a big black cat seen by 2 people I personally know last year.

More hearsay,,,,, show me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Only way to know without a doubt is find it and put lead into it.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (2500HD, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,937
Posts18,480,016
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.