Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This hunting season seemed to be the hardest to stay warm. Maybe that I am in my early 50's and I am changing may be the reason. What are you guys wearing to deal with this? I always get it the worse in the torso area!

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Get a vest,one of newer types.

I got one for Christmas last and use it when it gets down less that 20.

That and my coat and a gore-tex parka over all to cut the wind,works well for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You wear bibs? Since I went to bibs my kidneys never get cold. I took a few tips on layering from one thread here and I was great this year! I even wore Redhead boots with 200 gram thinsulate and my feet were toasty. 11� this week. Last week single digits. I never wear gloves, but did put a hand warmer in each coat pocket just in case.

Last edited by pahick; 12/14/13.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lil Buddy Heater!!!!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Silk wieght base layer, polar weight fleece mid kayer, light wool pants and shirt. Synthetic polyfil parka and bibs when on stand. I leanred long ago thet wearing heavy bulky clothes made med colder due to sweat. So I carry the pArka and bibs in my pack. I also wear a bandana with the not tied to the front of my neck. I can pull one flap of the fold of the bandana up around my ears and under my ball cap. It's thin enough to allow me to hear well and yet takes the bite out of the wind on my ears.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About a 4 inch thick layer of down when it gets subzero. I look like the tire commercial guy, but I never feel a breeze.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First off, NO cotton.

I use several layers so that I can move, sit or adjust to daytime swings in temperature. It may start out in the 20s and end up in the 50s during early season.

Polypro base layer and wool is what I prefer. On a cold day, I'll also wear a hoodie under my jacket (windproof) with the hood over my Stormy Kromer Rancher. And maybe some insulated bibs. That is a very warm combination if sitting.

A simple goretex cap and just a couple of light layers if moving around.

I like Hot Hands in my gloves, also.

Depending on the temperature, I may or may not use insulated boots, but do always have a polypro liner and Merino wool socks.

And if I'm going to sit all day in cold weather, I get out the secret weapon--Cabela's MT050 coveralls without the hood. These are very warm. I can sit still with temps in the 20s and be warm. You can't walk 50 yards with them on, though.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Move, it keeps the body warm.

Layers and something to block the wind. I hate bulky [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Move, it keeps the body warm.

Layers and something to block the wind. I hate bulky [bleep].

This. Except I never move hard enough to sweat. Couple of light layers I can remove if I need to work hard enough ton sweat. And always carry extra socks and t shirt in case I do.

But it's rarely below 20 when I'm hunting.

What type of hunting and what temps are ya in? That makes a huge difference. I'm rarely sitting still for very long unless I'm waiting out an animal for a good shot.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's my cold weather gear that keeps me toasty when it's 10 or so degrees

ECWS long johns from Cabelas - best I've ever found
Cabelas whitetail extreme MTX 40 coat & bib's
Predator Extreme boots
Clava
thinsulate gloves
thinsulate hat with flaps for my ears

Small thermos for hot coco & Mycoal grabber hot hands

I can pretty much sit through anything in that

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A down vest helps a lot with keeping the torso warm...and one piece cover alls are the best!! AND i hunt in -25C. My biggest problem is cold feet.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wear layers of stuff good long johns and a filson wool vest and carhartt fr jacket.. warmer than standard carhartt. I got my gear before a job in prudohe bay Ak. they sell good stuff in Alaska. hunting I wear a good old army field jacket with issue liner. been wearing that jacket for 30 years. I love the draw string around the waist, makes a big diff. fr jacket has it too. use wool silk or polly pro for layers;
feet are tough to keep warm. best I found is schnaes pac boots (usa made) with wool sock liners. take dry socks and change socks every 2 hrs or so. also whites dry foot work pretty well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bibs or a vest, or both if it's cold enough and I'm trying to dress light. And loose if you're sitting, a natural lean forward compresses the insulation at your lower back. You can live with cold extremities but when you feel the cold creep into the kidney area you know you're loosing core heat and will have to do something about it sooner than later. For really cold I have down bibbers and parka that's like wearing a sleeping bag. Ten below and you can't move much without perspiring all zipped up.

I know the cold feet thing, always had them. My boots are a step more insulated than everyone else's just to keep even. Nothing else works.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
propane space heater. The deer come right up and push me out of the way to get warm, and that when I pounce. A well placed knife saves me a bullet every year. wink

You can only tie the record for flying low
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Woolrich bibs when it gets cold. I also use stick on body warmers if I'll be sitting a bunch.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What kind of hunting are you doing when you get cold?

Presume stand hunting?

Get a small propane heater as mentioned, or get a heaterbody suit and/or if it's bitter cold do both. If you don't want to spend the coin on the bodysuit. Buy an old sleeping bag and crawl into it while on stand.

Just don't wear too much while walking in so you get sweated up.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I spent Friday am hunting and wading in Big Gum Swamp up in Columbia County. Temp there was 34F, which for Florida is FREEZING!
Wore a light base layer of Polar Tech stuff, old USGI olive drab trousers, a Underarmor Cold Gear double layer shirt, and a Cabela's fleece light jacket. Smart Wool Socks, and Rockey high top Snake Boots. Miller Lite camo ball cap.
Warm as toast.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

31 this morning but nice and toasty in here.

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

31 is toasty smile

Wicking layer against the skin, then synthetic zip henley type shirt, fleece vest (long to cover lower back) and then my wool coat. I carry another fleece pullover in my pack for when it's really cold and I decide to sit.

I wear wool pants. polypro under if colder or windy.

I still hunt with sitting here and there, so movement helps me keep warm.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
it was 72 yesterday.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,806
Posts18,477,524
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.