-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of the selected treatment, I've found that doing the application outside on one of the sunny and hottest days of the year really helps things soak in. Most of us though are not thinking of our heavy winter boots, however, in July or August.

When the heat comes on though, all of my packs and boots go out for some serious treatment.

1Minute
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Another vote for Obenhaufs.

Snow seal is no good. It cracks and will not let your feet breathe.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Obenhaufs all the way!

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by haverluk
Obenhaufs all the way!

$30 for it? Yow! cry

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obenauf's!

I never ever experienced anything like it.

The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts the moment you get up and doesn't stop untill you get into the office.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for Obenaufs. I apply it with a hair dryer.

It's only $11.95 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Obenaufs-Heav...208412&sr=8-2&keywords=Obenhaufs

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pira114
Mink oil is the best. But can darken lighter colored leather.

+1

Mink oil is great stuff, been using it for years.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used all the boot applications listed in this thread. Pecard waterproof shoe oil is better in my experience.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant....duct_Code=PSO4&Category_Code=shoeoil

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pecard's is the chitt. I can do a few more boots with what's left of the 32 oz container I bought years ago. Rubbed in by hand it does a great job of treating leather.
Here's a blurb form the website:

[Linked Image]

Company History - Pecard Chemical Co., Inc., started out as a small family-owned company in northeastern Wisconsin in 1902! Since then, Pecard has become the most trusted name in leather care. Why? Because our Leather Care Dressings have been tested, proven and perfected from the very beginning and our continued dedication to craftsmanship and quality has ALWAYS set Pecard apart from the rest.

More than 100 years ago in Lena, WI, Phil Pecard began to experiment with various formulas to protect, restore and seal leather gear. Pecard's original leather dressings and oils were not created out of vanity, but rather NECESSITY. The lumbermen of the Wisconsin north woods needed to protect their investment; they needed their expensive leather boots to last and to stay dry in the cold, wet and often harsh environment of Wisconsin's Northwood. That is why Phil Pecard created a product that held the promise, "NEVER LEAK".

Pecard History Admiral Richard ByrdPecard's commitment to quality earned his products an amazing reputation. Lumbermen swore by it. Factory workers endorsed it. Hunters wouldn't walk the woods without it. In fact, Admiral Richard E. Byrd specifically chose PECARD LEATHER DRESSING to protect his crew and their gear on the first expedition to the South Pole! Pecard Leather Dressing was also the only leather care product chosen by the crew of "Operation Deepfreeze", a series of explorations across the Arctic Circle.

Company website

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Used all the boot applications listed in this thread. Pecard waterproof shoe oil is better in my experience.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant....duct_Code=PSO4&Category_Code=shoeoil

Should have refreshed the page before posting - totally agree with this post!

Have an A1 Day!
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
This is what I happen to be using right now.

[Linked Image]

I recently purchased a pair of danner Canadian hunters.

I don't know wtf happened over at Danner boot company but this "leather" felt exactly like the boots were made out of hard plastic pickup truck mud flaps.

I started with kiwi mink oil paste but switched to this nor-v-gen paste and it's working better to soften this ridiculously stiff dry leather.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Have used this on leather motorcycle boots in the rain at 70 mph. Works fantastic - kept the tooties dry as a bone, and it smells fantastic - if you like pine pitch that is.

[Linked Image]

- Rogue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obenaufs

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Sno-seal is a temporary product.

By temporary, I didn't mean 'needing to be recoated in a few months'.

I've had Snoseal removed from boots by wet grass blades 'flicking' against the boots. After about 30 minutes or so it's gone.

It works better on my sorrels, but that's mostly because the lowers are rubber and the coated leather uppers are covered with pant legs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Have used this on leather motorcycle boots in the rain at 70 mph.

I ALWAYS apply my boot dressing at speeds less than 60 mph, especially when it's raining!

You sir, are an ANIMAL!

grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pure beeswax is the best waterproofing I've found for hard use boot leather and lasts way the longest without softening or cracking the leather. The OP does not seem to describe a boot for hard use in constantly wet conditions however.

Beeswax is a little hard to apply but one application lasts for ages. On my current Asolos, I applied beeswax in late August and have hunted coastal alpine, rain forest, dry pine country, backpack hunted for five days in constant alternating rain/snow/rain, etc. As of last week they would stay dry all day in rain and slush. If the seams start leaking during my wet coastal predator calling this winter I'll re-apply, otherwise will wait till next Fall.

I have used almost every item in this thread. I like Obenauf's and have come to dislike SnoSeal. "Best" depends somewhat on your use of the boots. For my "town boots" that I want to look good, most any of these are easier to apply than beeswax, more likely to retain a good looking finish, and will do to cross a slushy parking lot to get to REI. whistle grin For multi-day constant use in a mix of rain, snow, gravel and alpine heather... beeswax.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/16/13. Reason: clarity
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hmm... You got me wondering if that tube of Lyman bullet lube wouldn't be just the thing...

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 04Hunter
Hello all, I just got a pair of Cabelas casual boots with full grain, pebbled leather. It is not suede, but is not smooth either. What product should I use to make them as water resistant as possible without ruining the grain of the leather? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Danner Boot Dressing. Use the clear color and it will not alter the appearance of the leather. Some of the other products suggested will do just that.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Second on the Montana pitch blend, use it on y schnees and everything else leather.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Will pure bee's wax affect the breathability of the leather?
I have a pair of Filson highlander boots that I have been using their brand of boot oil on.It has kept them absolutely waterproof for the past ten years . They have a few deep gashes on them now and I believe it might be time for a little more aggressive treatment.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,763
Posts18,515,282
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.