Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
I have more 30-round mags than I can ever wear out.

The other "stupid law" is universal background checks. We (gun owners) keep saying the best way to prevent more Sandy Hooks or Virginia Techs or Theater shootings is to keep guns out of the hands of kooks. The law may not be ideal, but how are you gonna keep guns out of the hands of kooks without background checks?

Because you already had to pass a background check if buying from a dealer or online. And it was a felony for a private citizen to sell a gun to a restricted person or felon before anyway. Now the seller has to go to a dealer and get a background check just to see if they were legal to own the gun in the first place, and the buyer has to get one too.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I feel safer already.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm adjusting my tinfoil hat.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not reading all the posts, but if Fort Collins area wasn't mentioned you may want to consider that also. If I stay in Colorado, would probably move that direction in next few years. Lot of good waterfowl and fishing up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Colorado gun laws are poorly written and difficult to enforce. It was amateur hour at its finest when those were written and passed. Kind of like Obamacare. So not sure what you mean by adjusting your tinfoil hat, but bad law is bad law.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
New gun laws haven't affected me one bit.

Yet. "They came for the Catholics, but I wasn't a Catholic....."

I hunt with a muzzleloader. Even the dummies in Washington realize crimes aren't committed with a ML.

Irony ain't exactly your strong suit, is it?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Is "the sky is falling" yours?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We moved to the Springs area about 7 years ago. We moved from Ft. launder dale, FL as I was a professor with the Univ. of FL and changed to an industry position.

All this talk of traffic, etc. is subjective at most. I've driven from Anchorage to Homer and what a pain in the a$$ that drive was! CO Springs has nothing on South FL!!!

Growing up in a small town in Oklahoma that doesn't even have a stop light, means this place is a thriving metropolis!

I personally, chose this place over Ft Collins, because of the liberals and cost of living when deciding 7 years ago. That triangle of Boulder-Ft Collins-Longmont is becoming granola central!

There are several places just outside of the Springs one can always look at additionally. We live east of the Springs. There are plenty of place to look, if you want mountains look at Woodland Park, Divide, Florissant, Cascade, Penrose, etc. if you want the plains, look at Ellicott, Peyton, Calhan, etc.

Good luck with your decision!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by imgoofy
We moved to the Springs area about 7 years ago. We moved from Ft. launder dale, FL as I was a professor with the Univ. of FL and changed to an industry position.

All this talk of traffic, etc. is subjective at most. I've driven from Anchorage to Homer and what a pain in the a$$ that drive was! CO Springs has nothing on South FL!!!

Growing up in a small town in Oklahoma that doesn't even have a stop light, means this place is a thriving metropolis!

I personally, chose this place over Ft Collins, because of the liberals and cost of living when deciding 7 years ago. That triangle of Boulder-Ft Collins-Longmont is becoming granola central!

There are several places just outside of the Springs one can always look at additionally. We live east of the Springs. There are plenty of place to look, if you want mountains look at Woodland Park, Divide, Florissant, Cascade, Penrose, etc. if you want the plains, look at Ellicott, Peyton, Calhan, etc.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks. I've lived in downtown phoenix, northern NJ, and clearwater FL. I've seen traffic, and CO Springs ain't gonna even rate compared to the places I've lived.

What's your thoughts on the housing market in CO Springs? It appears to be weakening a bit according to Zillow.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Because you already had to pass a background check if buying from a dealer or online. And it was a felony for a private citizen to sell a gun to a restricted person or felon before anyway. Now the seller has to go to a dealer and get a background check just to see if they were legal to own the gun in the first place, and the buyer has to get one too.

I will admit to ignorance here, haven't paid much attention to background checks since I don't sell guns except through an FFL which of course does a background check. Being a felony and all, I don't want to sell to the wrong person.

So, if I've got this right, the new law requires the current owner of a firearm to get a background check done on himself if he wants to sell it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
No, just the buyer.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Calvin,
If you talk to a relator they will tell you the housing market is doing well but I beg to differ. We contracted for our house in March and closed in May. Previous owner had it for 6 years and they sold it for about $40K less than what they originally paid for it. Plus they put an estimated $30-40K in landscaping, fence, sprinkling system, etc.
One month after we closed on our home two others really close to us came on the market and they are still for sale as of today. I can only recall one of the homes being shown one time.

However, slow sales or not people still need a place to live in and with VA interest rates at 3.25% when we closed it was cheaper to buy than rent.

One thing for certain though, with the Feds changing the money policy rates will most likely go up in the near future.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not trying to be negative, but the Springs area has seen some bad fires lately.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Calvin,
If you talk to a relator they will tell you the housing market is doing well but I beg to differ. We contracted for our house in March and closed in May. Previous owner had it for 6 years and they sold it for about $40K less than what they originally paid for it. Plus they put an estimated $30-40K in landscaping, fence, sprinkling system, etc.
One month after we closed on our home two others really close to us came on the market and they are still for sale as of today. I can only recall one of the homes being shown one time.

However, slow sales or not people still need a place to live in and with VA interest rates at 3.25% when we closed it was cheaper to buy than rent.

One thing for certain though, with the Feds changing the money policy rates will most likely go up in the near future.

Thanks for that. I'm not worried about interest rates, but am a bit fearful about buying a house and having it be worth less than what I paid for it. I prefer the buy low, sell high method.. (grin) Down south housing markets are a bit perplexing ad a guy can get hurt in a hurry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I literally live just across the street from Snowwolfe. I can only give my perspective of what the housing market has done recently with my house because our housing additions are somewhat different.

We bought this house in late 2006, just before the market crash in 2008. So, for a few years we were under the house financially pretty deep.

However, in January 2013 we decided to refinance to take advantage of the great interest rates. When our house was appraised in January, it came in about $10K above what we paid for it in 2006. So, we're back in the black. During this time, we put granite and tile in the kitchen and wood floors in the entire 1st floor. Upgraded the kitchen appliances. We also added an office in the basement for me and A/C for the wife. So, not a whole lot of improvements, but a few projects each year.

We're now at the final stages of getting the rest of the basement finished with another 1100 square feet, additional bathroom, bedroom, game room, wet bar, etc. So, who's to say where we are now with the additional completed square feet.

From my perspective comparing 2006 to 2013, I'm probably ahead or close to even.

Having said that, something good must be happening because it seems as if they are breaking ground on new subdivision each month. So, someone must be buying these new places.

Hope this helps!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Calvin,

I was grew up in the Ft Collins area (Loveland) and if I was raising kids it rates above CO Springs. Less crime, drug, and gang issues.

I would also rate the hunting as better due to the lower population and Wyoming is just 50 miles north.

Hunting in Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, ect is really just a day drive in any direction.

I do doubt you will qualify as a CO resident, for hunting, if you are spending the summer in AK.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Calvin,

I was grew up in the Ft Collins area (Loveland) and if I was raising kids it rates above CO Springs. Less crime, drug, and gang issues.

I would also rate the hunting as better due to the lower population and Wyoming is just 50 miles north.

Hunting in Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Utah, ect is really just a day drive in any direction.

I do doubt you will qualify as a CO resident, for hunting, if you are spending the summer in AK.

Quality advice worth considering IMO.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Calvin,

Quality advice worth considering IMO.

I agree and I would add that I wouldn't become a resident of CO until you get enough preference points to draw the tag you want as a resident. My guess is that the perks of being an AK resident as it pertains to hunting is better than the perks of being a CO resident. Only benefit is most times you draw your tags faster as a resident but I'd be hammering sheep, bou, moose and bear in the meantime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I will admit to ignorance here, haven't paid much attention to background checks since I don't sell guns except through an FFL which of course does a background check. Being a felony and all, I don't want to sell to the wrong person.

So, if I've got this right, the new law requires the current owner of a firearm to get a background check done on himself if he wants to sell it?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong (I don't live in Colorado anymore, but still go there about twice a year):

I think Colorado's new transfer restrictions (supposedly closing a "gun show loophole") are essentially the same as those proposed nationally by N. Pelosi, but shot down. If I understand correctly, you have to do a formal transfer with the fee and background check when you transfer (even lend) a firearm to anyone other than a sibling, parent, child etc ... (very immediate family). Not doing so is a FELONY.

I live in Virginia right now, and lent my .454 Freedom Arms a couple years ago (without doing an FFL transfer with a background check) to my friend who lives a couple of miles away who was then writing this book: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Bore-Revolvers-Max-Prasac/dp/1440228566
He works at and writes for the NRA and wanted to test it as part of his write-up. If I understand correctly, that would be a FELONY under the new Colorado law. Crazy.

If my 20-yr-old nephew, who is in college and can't afford his own rifle right now, wanted to borrow one of my bolt action rifles to practice at the range before he went deer hunting: we both would be committing a FELONY for doing that.

I used to leave one of my pistols with my uncle in the Denver area (he has numerous firearms and is imminently responsible with them) so that I could just pick it up and have it on my many trips to Colorado. If I did that now, we both would be committing a FELONY.

Stupid, stupid government control. Idiotic. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. But that is my recollection from reading the new Colorado law some months ago.

Also, consider who is writing and proposing these laws (that sadly pass). The co-sponsor of the bill Rep. (Diana DeGette) was asked about "the efficacy of banning these magazine clips" considering that there are tens of millions of them already in circulation. Her response was: "I will tell you. These are ammunition. They're bullets. So, the people who have those now, they're going to shoot them. The number of these high capacity magazines is going to decrease dramatically over time because the bullets will be shot and there won't be any more available."

If you don't believe a co-sponsor of the bill actually said that, the video is at the bottom of this link: http://www.caintv.com/gun-contol-ignorance-Colorado

So, that's the type of ignorant idiot who is so ignorant of and paranoid about firearms that she is making it a felony for someone to lend a rifle to a cousin or uncle, etc ... (without going through a background check and formal transfer).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MarineHawk, I think you have 72 hours to loan your gun to a family member without becoming a felon and losing your right to vote and own guns.

Brad will be along shortly though to tell you to tighten up your tinfoil hat.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 54 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.