Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I am looking for recommendation for a day pack that can also bring out a quartered whitetail.

I do a bit of hunting in the Adirondacks, maybe 2-3 miles from the road, Typically I am going to carry the pack, nearly empty 10 days for every time it carries meat, so my criteria are

1) big enough to carry a quartered whitetail

2) As light and compactable as practical, Without going overboard I would would sacrifice some comfort with a load, to have a small, quite compact pack on my pack the other 98% of the time.

I would like either a woodsy color or camo.

Right now I have a badlands 2800, and it works fine but weighs a ton empty and is pretty bulky empty. A badlands Sacrifice seems a candidate.

Suggestions?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a Badlands Sacrifice. It's a good 1-2 night backpacking pack for rough terrain. I probably wouldn't select it as a meat hauler. I've got an older 2200 that works great for day pack / meat hauler duties. I haul meat on the outside of the pack using the meat shelf and straps rather than inside. The Sacrifice has no provision for that. Personal opinion only, but to me, the Sacrifice is too big for use as a day pack yet not set up for hauling meat.

One other thing ... the Sacrifice uses a different material to keep the weight down. IMHO it's a little too noisy for a day pack for an active hunter. It might be ok for just going to a stand. I still-hunt ... not ideal for that, IMHO.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Paradox with the 4800?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with tom

The smaller kifaru express and spike camp with the "grab it" would serve you perfectly. It's also so we'll made you cannot damage or pop a seam or zipper from trying to go beyond its capacity.

Base models are about 2300, with additional pockets it's plenty big enough. I strongly prefer to carry meat in a sack on the outside. I've made a mess of some nice packs with blood in my past carrying meat inside.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by noKnees
Right now I have a badlands 2800, and it works fine but weighs a ton empty and is pretty bulky empty. A badlands Sacrifice seems a candidate.

Exactly why I sold mine...I did not like the "bat wing" design.

I used a Super Day pack this year, and you could get a East Coast whitetail out with it, if you had to. I'd also look at these: Eberlestock X1A1 (called the X1 for short). Most of their smaller packs are good dual purpose day packs, and SHTF load-hauler (you shot a deer down in where???), and have the same life-time repair policy.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bison Gear makes some nice packs with expandable meat bags. Popular with archery hunters, but I have used mine for rifle hunting. I have had complete boned out whitetails in this pack, near max load, but very doable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd say Eberlestock X2 for a low cost option, used ones pop up for $125 now and then. It's good point is you can strap meat securely on the outside. With a bigger budget I'd be looking hard at a K Spike Camp, pretty light and a 50lb capacity.

I'm happy with my X2 but would jump on a Spike Camp if a used came up just to try it.

This is a new company for me.
http://www.tenzingoutdoors.com/tz_2220.php

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've got a Tenzig 6000, it's a decent pack, but not what I'd reach for. For reference, I put 50-100 miles under this pack during the summer and early Fall in prep for a hunting trip out West.

Load was 40-50 pounds and flat land with short steep hills at intervals. IF the pack is not loaded to 1/2 capacity, it is tough to stabilize the load and secure it from shifting laterally across your back. The straps are narrow, but padded well, and the waist belt is decent. The straps won't stay adjusted without tape, the bungee keepers won't stop the loosening of the belt.

I could not seem to get the lumbar support set where I liked it, I swapped between the XL and taller bars on the suspension rack several times. The pack wall material is very thin, haven't ripped or worn it, but I haven't field used it either.

Pluses - the thinner materail cuts the weight done pretty well. The designs remind me a lot of the Black's Creek line of packs from several years ago.

My walk-away impression of the Tenzig line is a decent light duty pack that will survive an occasional heavy/severe use cycle, but would not be a year-after-year pack for multiple seasons.

Last edited by AH64guy; 12/03/13. Reason: content
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg
Paradox with the 4800?

Solid option, IME. Compacts very well, but has tons of hauling capability in reserve.

The MR Bighorn is what I use for a day or 2-3 day pack currently. I've been very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a bombproof day pack. It is not as versatile of platform as the Paradox Packs though...

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Stone Glacier Solo, and MR Metcalf for what you are wanting, but those are top end and not necessarily budget friendly.If I were to use the Metcalf for a daypack I would even remove the top lid to cut down on some of the weight.
[Linked Image]
Whole mule deer bone in, inside the Metcalf. I don't have any of the SG.

The only reason I am not saying Kifaru or Paradox is because they are a little bigger than what I would use for strictly a day pack. I haven't used the Paradox 4800, so I shouldn't say that it would or wouldn't work, but Ed T would be able to answer that pretty well. The frames of both of them are certainly capable of hauling the heavy loads very comfortably. The 6300, and Highcamp 4800(kifaru) compress down very well, so it is possible to use them as daypacks if you want to go that route.

I tend to stear clear of Badlands after the bags failed on me.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Eberlestock X-1 as suggested above is a possibility. I have packed out a butchered whitetail in one though it was stuffed full. It was an average size doe. A big buck or doe may make you take two trips unless you can lash a meat bag to the outside.
This is about the minimum size I'd consider if I had to get the whole deer out in one trip.

Another low cost option I'm experimenting with is the LL Bean Hunters carry all pack. It is very lightweight, can carry your day essentials strapped down in a drybag, and then open and compress a full load of meat bags. Seems to be reasonably well made and the price is right.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64392?feat=hunting packs-SR0&page=hunter-s-carryall-pack&attrValue_0=Olive&productId=1077114

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sreekers

The only reason I am not saying Kifaru or Paradox is because they are a little bigger than what I would use for strictly a day pack. I haven't used the Paradox 4800, so I shouldn't say that it would or wouldn't work, but Ed T would be able to answer that pretty well.

Scott, the 4800 is quite a bit smaller than the 6300 we sent you. Add a side zip option to a 4800 and it is very daypack friendly, but retains all the big load capability.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My Dad one lunged this buck, and he ran to the worst possible place.....cliffed out above, river below, masses of treetops and briars to left and right. The devil climbed through downed treetops to get where he was going. I was short of time and packing him was the easiest solution, so I took him out whole. 156 lb load uphill - not far thankfully. The Paradox did fine, belt didn't slip, but 156 is HEAVY. The suck factor on that weight is high.

Last edited by RockChucker30; 12/03/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rock Chucker I would find It pretty interesting to see you try that with and iowa whitetail smile good pic

Never trust a man in a wheel chair...with dirty shoes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Matt, thanks, but no thanks. smile That was all I wanted.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Ive got an Eberlestock X2 in dry earth color that I would be willing to let go if your interested. Shoot me a pm if you are.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
1st Generation Kifaru Longhunter has packed out a bunch of bucks in my area. I wouldn't want anything less.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I wondered if you were going to post that picture Nathan. It is more than capable of carrying a whole deer.

WHEN i own a Paradox, it will be the 4800 side zip. I will have the full day pack, it grew on me quite a bit while i had it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a huge believer that the mystery ranch crew cab is the best all around pack out there for pack in hunts to single day hunts. It folds completely flat on your back for a day pack and once games down it can expand and support amazing loads. I've had the pack for years and wouldn't trade it for anything. Its carried out almost a dozen mule deer, half dozen elk and endless goats. I've had several friends come to WY and hunt with me and after seeing what the pack can do, they ordered there own. My main hunting partner had a badlands sacrifice and its a nice pack, but its just not build for the heavy loads for long distance, you can look at the waist belt and see that before you even load it. He sold it on ebay and ordered a crewcab right after our first hunt together. My other buddy had a "just one" and we both thought it was a great pack, but it lacks padding in the shoulder and waist belt and the belt starts to sag once loaded down when your going up and down hills. Just my observation, not trying to start a argument. I think any pack can have a 80-120lb load put in it. The real test is going up and down mountains and climbing over dead fall and not having the load sag or shift. Some people feel that the pack is a little heavy empty, but I look at a 7-9lb pack a normal and expected weight to be able cinch down and hold a 100lb load tight. again, just my opinion after trying multiple packs over the years. I literally couldn't change a single thing about the crew cab to make it a better pack and to top it off, the guys/gals at Mystery Ranch have the greatest customer service ever.

2013 WY Mule deer. Deboned, full head, 1 trip out.

[Linked Image]

2013 CO mule deer. quartered and packed out in 1 trip:

[Linked Image]

2013 WY wifes mule deer. deboned and and full head, 2 rifles. 1 trip out:

[Linked Image]

2013 WY goat. gutted and carried out whole, 1 trip:

[Linked Image]

"life is tough... It's even tougher when your stupid"

The Duke
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Couldn't ever get shoulder lift with the NICE frame, all the weight on my shoulders. Great packs, bomb-proof, not going to break. But not good for me. Had a Longbow and sold it.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hill People Gear Ute with one of their three compression panels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (10gaugemag, 35, 6mmbrfan, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 9 invisible), 14,028 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,001
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.