Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Love the quiet when snow is like that...

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by Brad
My 2000 Taco has over 165K and is fine. However, were I buying a rig to drive 80+ miles per day commuting, and only using it as a pickup occasionally I'd buy something else. I only use a pickup because I need it for my job... Pickups strictly for sport are a silly idea... gas mileage sucks, and the ride is not as good as a car.

Well Brad, not sure what you consider to be casual use, but I'm curious how you'd suggest I pull my utility trailer for say, my two kayaks, or one or more of my motorcycles should I need to haul them, or any of the three boats on trailers I pull, or be able to load a pile of goose blocks and layout blinds, or a pile of big game fishing gear, or tents and coolers and all the other truck I bring when taking family and friends for casual camping outings, or for any of the unimproved dirt roads and logging areas I play around without a truck.

I have a car I use now to commute with, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the Lexus sedan ain't going to be real practical for my outdoors stuff... Wasn't asking about anything other than opinions on the Tacoma, actually...

This isn't one of my boats, and it's too heavy for the 4Runner I hauled it with rating wise (it was that or not fish that day, as my buddy's F150 was broken down) but again, there isn't any way, anyhow I could've hauled that boat in a Honda Civic class of vehicle, no?

[Linked Image]

Duuuuude, nice rig. Ever consider a road trip to the Great Lakes? Tens of thousands of Old Squaw are waiting for you offshore. Is that a custom job or are those for sale commercially? smile

The latter. It's a Bankes.

http://www.bankesboats.com/goliath.htm

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
My 2000 Taco has over 165K and is fine. However, were I buying a rig to drive 80+ miles per day commuting, and only using it as a pickup occasionally I'd buy something else. I only use a pickup because I need it for my job... Pickups strictly for sport are a silly idea... gas mileage sucks, and the ride is not as good as a car.

I believe you missed this part in the OP.

"I commute around 80 miles a day, and if the fuel economy isn't too bad I'll use it on snow days to run in and out of town. "

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Heard of the Bankes layout, but never knew they made such a substantial open water boat. I assume you use this for your tender as well? Now I understand the fearless late season hunts on open water. Well done, sir. I wish you well on your search for a vehicle. Boat, trailer, and gear you have to be pulling nearly 4K pounds.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy an econo generic bubble car for the commute and a spare rig for towing when you need it.

If you want save $$$ that's the only way.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by fish head
Buy an econo generic bubble car for the commute and a spare rig for towing when you need it.

If you want save $$$ that's the only way.

Dude, that's *exactly* the idea. smirk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by fluffy

I think the difference is,it has only 15" wheels.If I could get a 4wd model with 15's,thats where I would be.

huh?

bigger wheels take more hp to turn them,which decreases gas mileage.
also the bigger wheels are yuppy favorite,cost way more.
I put four of Michelins best tires on my taco for around $400.(205/75/15)
The titan I had with 18's were close to $200 each for the cheapest I could find.
I wish I could find a taco with 4wd,but not all the "offroad package" bullshit.
remember back when you had to look underneath or look for a transfer case lever to see if the vehicle was 4wd or not?

Last edited by fluffy; 12/19/13.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Ever consider a road trip to the Great Lakes? Tens of thousands of Old Squaw are waiting for you offshore.

Have scattergun, will travel CF. That said, we aren't exactly strangers to gunning oldsquaw in our waters...

From a few years ago. I hosted Josh Spies and Ivan Carter, with my buddy, for a couple days gunning the beeg vaterrs for seaducks. Josh's work you may be familiar with; his was the winning entry for that year's federal duck stamp. The species? Three guesses. wink Funny part is that until coming out with us, he'd never even seen, less had a chance at thumping a 'squaw. The other fella makes a living as a PH in a bunch of African nations whacking all manner of game, but specializes in close encounters with elephant.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Too good to be true? I saw this just now; ad was put up 5 minutes before I called.

What is this truck's value? I checked KBB but want a fire eval please. Time is of the essence!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1996 Toyota Tacoma extra cab pickup. V6, 5spd, 65,000 original miles, second owner. California truck - completely clean, no rust, looks almost like new inside and out. Clean Carfax, always dealer serviced. Newer Michelin tires with 90%, alloy wheels. Only selling to pay off legal fees for my divorce.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Locals vary, but $14,000 would not be out of line for that low of miles.

LOL! i just looked up KBB. If you can get it anywhere near that, you'd better jump on it before you take another breath!

Last edited by BarryC; 12/19/13.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Done deal. Guy just left. He lives less than half a mile from me,. I am getting it for $7.5k, as long as the fella's word and handshake on the deal mean what they're supposed to. Weird. And I'm not even Irish... wink

Thank you all for the advice and input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I HATE YOU! grin

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I feel so dirty.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should. That's what you'd pay for an ATV.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You should hold out for an automatic because of the towing requirement. smirk

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Hmm. Honey, you know how we'd agreed that we needed to buy a snowblower? Well, having thought about it a bunch, I'm thinking that we need a 4 wheeler anyway, and with a plow blade mounted, we could use the difference of the dough I'd earmarked for the truck and get a 4wd plow too. You'd never have to shovel again...

wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Hmm. Honey, you know how we'd agreed that we needed to buy a snowblower? Well, having thought about it a bunch, I'm thinking that we need a 4 wheeler anyway, and with a plow blade mounted, we could use the difference of the dough I'd earmarked for the truck and get a 4wd plow too. You'd never have to shovel again...

wink

Ha! Worked for me...we needed a Rhino to move raked leaves from the front yard to the back. Dump bed...you know? smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
lol. You're a gentleman and a scholar, sir! And just for the record, this kind of shyt luck never happens to me. The last time I scored anything as silly as this was winning a giant gingerbread house Christmas prize in the 3rd grade. A golden star sticker on the bottom of my 50 cent cafeteria lunch. First thing you know ole Jed's a MILLIONAIRE! wink I was lectured by the caf staff that the prize was purely decorative, and was totally inedible. Lie. My brother and I took that bad boy apart piece by piece over the course of maybe 3 months. By the time we were done with it all that was left was part of the picket fence surrounding the house that used to live on the piece of plywood...

smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Personally I hate pickups, only because they're only good for a few things and are not as comfortable as a car, nor as gas efficient.

Seems like many (most?) who own them are trying to make some sort of "statement" I don't understand and have no intention of understanding.

YMMV

You don't need to understand, as long as you're not one of those tree hugger types pushing MPG's, enthanol and emmissions crap down everybody elses throats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hope it works out for you. There is no better on/offroad vehicle than a small Toyota 4x4.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,996
Posts18,499,975
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.