Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I never get enough mod 70's, I am constantly amazed at the different, unique gun that keep popping up here and there. I am aware to the fact that there are counterfeits out there,I have been lucky and just never run across one. Im a big fan of the mod 70 targets and this is the first 06 target Ive run across with a SS barrel, enjoy.
http://www.daverifflegunsales.com/winchester_model_70_30_06_target
very best

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm surprised he's still in business....

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm scared of "rare" model 70's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't know Dave, nor have I ever done business with him. Seems like there's a lot of speculation on whether some of his rifles have been "refurbished". I'd also be very leery about the truly rare ones. On the other hand, if I were looking for a primo condition shooter/hunter, that I knew I'd never sell, for a really good deal I'd be all over that. Even if it were refurbished. I'd want the seller to fully disclose that information though and not try to mislead in any way. A little secret: I've seen some professionally refinished pre 64 stocks that would make you drool. Checkering was redone right and the finish was perfect. Far better than when it left the factory.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have emailed back and forth with Dave numerous times in the last few years and he has always responded quickly and was very nice.

He does seem to find some rare or unfired ones.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
He sure stuck it to me several years ago on a .30-06 Featherweight. I could tell it was refinished and the checkering was screwed up. Plus it had an extra hole in the rear bridge. I also paid him an extra $30.00 for express shipment and I got it two weeks later. I'm sure some of his rifles are genuine but I'm also sure he screwed me on my ("98%")Featherweight. Some guys here doubted me until I posted pic of the checkering. He also gets amnesia quite often when a customer has a problem with him. Since it shot 3/4" groups I kept it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by model70man
He sure stuck it to me several years ago on a .30-06 Featherweight. I could tell it was refinished and the checkering was screwed up. Plus it had an extra hole in the rear bridge. I also paid him an extra $30.00 for express shipment and I got it two weeks later. I'm sure some of his rifles are genuine but I'm also sure he screwed me on my ("98%")Featherweight. Some guys here doubted me until I posted pic of the checkering. He also gets amnesia quite often when a customer has a problem with him. Since it shot 3/4" groups I kept it.

Damn, that sucks. I'd be pretty pissed. Even though it shoots that good. If I would have known you were looking for a good "all original" fwt stock, I would have sold you one I had for far less than I sold it for on ebay. How's the metal/bluing on your rifle?

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Refinished:

[Linked Image]

Refinished by a fellow who knows how and did get in trouble over it.

[Linked Image]

There is some really nice wood under many poorly finished factory originals. Beretta being a prime example.

Another thing I have noticed re Model 70s is more than a few dealers are extremely lenient with their grading of 95-98%. They are not even close. I guess they mean 98% when you factor in 50plus years of use. In that it is better than 98% of what is out there.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Battue, is the metal refinished or is the stock? Stock looks original from what little I can see in the pic, but the metal/bluing looks suspect to me. IE: Bolt handle looks to be the same color as the extractor and receiver. Receiver finish/color looks to be a little off too???

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Whole rifle was done. Perhaps the pic doesn't do it justice, I could have sold it a couple times to people who trade in such things on a regular basis. I blew it by one in particular and was asked , don't you ever use it.

IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
M70man it happens to all of us.

I purchased a jan 1960 Alaskan in 338 from Perry County firearms back in Oct. The listing had good pics of the stock,metal, and even showed the extra hole d&t'd on the rear recovery bridge ( for H&h scope mounts. ). I figured the Talleys would cover the extra hole and for the price I couldn't go wrong.

I called and talked to the owner Greg and point blank asked him why the price was so low and if there was anything else "wrong" with the gun. His response was " nope, other than the extra hole it is all original with no issues".

When I opened the box I was appalled. The stock was cracked in the wrist and at the tang. Sme one had drilled completely through the stock in the exact place Winchester puts the crossbolts and filled with red epoxy (funny how the pics didn't show that). The stock was glass bedded and behind every screw hole the stock was wallered out and filled with epoxy.

The metal was original and except for some slight marks on the floor plate, was gorgeous.

I sent a very polite email to Greg voicing my disatisfaction and sheer disbelief at he didn't see all the issues on the stock.

A few days later I received a one line response. " Send back for a full refund including shipping". Nothing else. No sorry.

Yes they stepped up and offed the refund, I give them that.

From now on I will only buy one after handling.

I did keep the Alaskan as the action was perfect. I plan on drilling out the epoxy and installing a crossbolt. Digging out the bedding and bedding the entire action, refinishing the stock, recut the checking and shooting. Other than my time it won't cost me anything. If it doesn't shoot or the crack opens up, I will find a piece of walnut and do the stock myself.

It sucks to be taken advantage of especially wi high dollar items. Glad to hear your fwt worked out.

Last edited by pre6422hornet; 12/22/13.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another pic.

[Linked Image]

The bottom one is original. I think. grin
[Linked Image]

A little closer:

[Linked Image]

They both shoot well, so it bothers me little one way or the other. They are users.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 12/22/13.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I like that stock a lot. Green black grey swirl just looks good IMO.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Its birthday suit. Original? I think, but maybe not.

[Linked Image]

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a '49 Win 70 .30-06 from Paul Crosnoe a while back. It was advertised as 98-99%. I wanted it to be my "one" M70. It was a REALLY nice M70, but it wasn't 98-99%. It was OK though, and the metal was perfect. Stock was "pretty good". I paid $1200.00, which was probably too much at the time. Paul would have taken it back, no questions asked, but I kept it. It shoots superbly and has become one of my favorites, but the 98-99% thing ain't the same for sellers vs buyers. You live and learn. I like the rifle; I just paid $200.00 too much. Since buying the Crosnoe rifle, I've bought two more M70s...both in more used condition. Both I examined personally. And both were cheaper. The last one, a late '50's straight stock .30-06, came my way unplanned and very inexpensively. So it balances out, I guess.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 12/22/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Its birthday suit. Original? I think, but maybe not.

[Linked Image]

Very nice nonetheless..If it is "original" you can get rid of it at some places for $400.00+..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RGK
I bought a '49 Win 70 .30-06 from Paul Crosnoe a while back. It was advertised as 98-99%. I wanted it to be my "one" M70. It was a REALLY nice M70, but it wasn't 98-99%. It was OK though, and the metal was perfect. Stock was "pretty good". I paid $1200.00, which was probably too much at the time. Paul would have taken it back, no questions asked, but I kept it. It shoots superbly and has become one of my favorites, but the 98-99% thing ain't the same for sellers or buyers. You live and learn. I like the rifle; I just paid $200.00 too much. Since buying the Crosnoe rifle, I've bought two more M70s...both in more used condition. Both I examined personally. And both were cheaper. The last one, a late '50's straight stock, came my way unplanned and very inexpensively. So it balances out, I guess.
Bob

No doubt, and factor in the years you will use them and their normal price elevation and you did fine. Hell we piss away $200 on a variety of things and have nothing to show for it.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Pre6422hornet : I guess times change . Many years ago , I Sold a like new Model 12 , 20 Gauge Skeet to Perry County . I had traded 6 Rifles ( nothing great ) for it some years before . After closer inspection , I noticed it had Skeet Markings in one place , but Imp. Cyl. in another place . Guy who was buying for Perry County ( can't remember his name ) could have taken me to the cleaners , but he told me it was authentic , and a rare Variation and I got way more than I thought it was worth . I'm disappointed to hear about what happened with your purchase as I have recommended Perry County to some Winchester guys over the years .

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Another OLD timer used to own Dave Riffle (sp?) many years ago down in Ft.Meyers as I went to his shop with my Dad and his first cousin whose father Uncle Ervin Reeves moved down there during the Depression and started selling Singer sewing machines, ended up owning a whole downtown block and was super successful, I loved those trips as they had a shack and Ham radio set up, I got to shoot coons on Sanibel Island .Long story short the original owner was a great guy who had an acre of Winchester guns, I remember my Dad buying another mod 12, 16 ga, 28in ,mod choke as I still have the gun. My dad shot doves with the gun when the migratory birds came down after hard freezes up north.I also remember the water was dam near undrinkable as it tasted of sulfur, pretty clear water it just smelled like rotten eggs! very best

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
BSA,

The metal was indeed 98%+ on that rifle. I have since put a custom stock on it but it was just a matter of principle. All the best...Bill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 63 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,435
Posts18,470,821
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.