Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Lol.

Check out the cat coming in for a potential snack at 2:00 of that vid. I guarantee you it didn't eat any either. Not fit for man nor beast. grin

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really enjoy good Lutefisk that is properly prepared.

My mom bakes it every Christmas Eve.

The taste is fairly 'unique', the texture even more so.

Little bit of melted butter and salt. Delicious.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A true Norseman! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Some people might mistake that for a compliment! grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Ah, lutefisk, the entertainment goes on, and on.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was told it was the rehydrated scat of a male spam.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Velll, you haff been toll most all uff it. My grandpa who vass vun hundert percent Norveegen vunce toll me dat duh very best Lootufisk had to haff effery dog in Norvay hike his leg on duh dry cod stock. Dat's duh troot. Novices can not tell the difference. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'll pass ,I like my fish fresh !!! thank you and i just don't think from the sounds of this that I could even stomach trying it .yuk !!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every ethnic group eats gross food. The scots eat haggis. The Brits eat kidney pie. The Germans make blood sausage. The Eskimos eat stinky flipper and the blacks eat chitterlings. Just a few examples. I'm not scandanavian but married one. I've come to enjoy lutefisk and the tradition. It really has little flavor and mostly tastes like the salt and butter. If you'd not like to try it please don't. Please leave more for those who enjoy it.

Last edited by 257wby; 12/26/13.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My Grandmother's, both Italian immigrants, used to make bacala every Christmas. Could not get within 50' of the house when they were cooking it. Bad, bad, bad...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK

The people on this forum that don't like it are usually the same ignorant bunch of Democrats that don't own a 270......and voted for Obama!

Never has so much truth been spoken on this forum!!!! mad !!!!! grin

At the very least, to know and appreciate lutefisk is to understand what people of Scandinavian history had to deal with. I dare say most people have history involving drudgery and hardship so many folks these days don't understand, and certainly don't appreciate. Those old Norwegians survived on some pretty bland foods. Fish, for some of them, was a handy source or protein, but fish doesn't keep well without the wonders of modern refrigeration, so the Norwegians - just like the Eskimoes and other in the north- dried their fish. Of course, cod has nowhere near the fat content that fish like salmon have, so cod dries like boards of wood. Try to chew on a board! Well, as with so many people who lived in the cold parts, the Norwegians discovered that they could reconstitute those boards of fish by soaking them in the water procured by filtering water through wood ashes- therein the lye. Of course, lye, while good for changing fat into soap, isn't much good in a person's rumen, so after the lye had done it's work of "reviving" the cod flesh, it had to be removed by rinsing. And so it was, and so we have lute (lye) fisk (fish). The stuff I cooked for my wife and boys, and Eskimo mother-in-law, was not good lutefisk, at least not in texture, but it tasted fine...with lots of butter. (With apologies to my departed Mother. frown ) But I think we redeemed our Christmas even with the good Lutheran singing of carols and hymns afterwards at Christ Lutheran's Christmas Eve Service. grin

But some people just aren't real fish eaters.......the pity. wink (My Eskimo sons are good fish eaters.......which means they appreciate lutefisk. grin )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I grew up eating tripe and salted cod. My mother fried the tripe and usually made salt cod gravy. I guess they are an aquired taste. I still love both allthough tripe gives me heartburn.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salt cod w/ gravy on potatoes....Mmmmmmm! (How could one not acquire a taste for that? It smells like fish; it tastes like fish)......lots of people seem to gravitate toward fish that isn't 'fishy'. What's that all about? (I'd like some deep-fried batter with a lump of protein inside, please!) Next wimpified metro-sexual, please. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
There's a lot of folks that don't like fish period and there's folks that will only eat deep fried fish....mostly because they've never had quality fresh fish.

Lutefisk is codfish that has been cured in lye [some say Drano]. When I was a kid, it was in dried fillets in the grocery store much as French Bread is displayed today standing in a basket.Today I only see frozen lutefisk and usually of very poor quality.

The lutefisk is cooked very briefly in boiling water and served with melted butter or white gravy. It's very easy to over-cook and it then becomes "fish jello". It should be white and flaky with a soft texture.

During the boiling process there is often an odor much as in boiling crabs or clams......easily countered with a dash of vinegar in the water.

Lutheran Churches in the Midwest often have Lutefisk Dinners this time of year.

The people on this forum that don't like it are usually the same ignorant bunch of Democrats that don't own a 270......and voted for Obama!

And a belated Merry Christmas Lynn!
I enjoy fish of all kinds ,eating something that has been soaked in chemicals doesn't appeal to me ,oh and sorry to burst your bubble ,but I'm not a democrat. I DO own a 270 and didn't vote for Obama .....either time

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Reading this reminds me that my dog, a beagle, would find any discarded lutefisk and gleefully roll it into his coat, sliding along the ground, on his back, and coming back to me a slimy, stinky mess.

Once when he was a puppy I gave him a small sample of sardine which he promptly dropped from his mouth and started that maneuver preceding "the roll". His tastes have changed since then as he now looks forward to those rare lunches of sardines and crackers, his share of which is about a half of one small fish.

"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expu�ry

Steelbanger, NRA Life
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Why would anyone subject themselves to something so obviously putrid and toxic ?

Ever heard of Taco Bell?

Or cigarettes?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Light12
What does one serve as a side, kimchee, roasted merganser and a quart of ginger brandy?

mmmmmmm roting cabage and roasted fish eater. My God!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by snubbie
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
Why would anyone subject themselves to something so obviously putrid and toxic ?

Ever heard of Taco Bell?

Or cigarettes?

Not much inclined towards Taco Bell sick, and I am not a smoker, and it seems now I am not a Lutefisker either wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
My Grandmother's, both Italian immigrants, used to make bacala every Christmas. Could not get within 50' of the house when they were cooking it. Bad, bad, bad...

grinNOW yer talkin' MY language!!! I LOVE bacala!!!! My wife makes it for her Dad and I usually steal enuff to satisfy my appetite. I love calamari too!!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Its simply amazing what some people will put into their mouth crazy Brains, eyeballs, guts, pig & chicken feet, azzholes, kidneys, & other organs.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.