Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
[Linked Image]

Uncas, with his 2013 Kansas Whitetail Buck and the borrowed .30-40 Krag Contender Carbine that he used.

Uncas "borrowed" the carbine from my gun case because I had to run into town and his .30-06 was in my truck. blush

He grabbed some rounds out of one of the two boxes of handloads that I had with the rifle, not knowing that the box he grabbed them from was the box of 130gr Speer FP "plinker" rounds I had loaded for my nephew and was going to check trajectory on while we were in KS. They were loaded to about 1600fps.

The other box had some 180gr Core Lokts in handloads and some Speer 130gr FP that were loaded to about 2600fps in that carbine. I knew that they were on at 100yds and the 180's were slightly high at that distance, but had no idea where the "plinker" loads would strike at 100yds.

When he called me and said that he had grabbed the .30-40 and some of the 130gr FP ammo, I thought he had grabbed the "fast" box, and not the "plinkers" so I told him that they were "on" at 100yds and left it at that.

At best guess, he shot the buck somewhere between 125-150 yds as the deer was walking.

High lung shot, missed ribs going in and coming out. Entrance wound, .30 caliber, exit wound, roughly 1" in diameter. He ran about 200 yds before he laid down and died.

He also killed two meat does with his .30-06 Model 70 BOSS, shooting the now-discontinued Barnes 125gr "X" bullets. Both heart/double lung shots, one at 402 yards, one at 360 yards.

It was a great time with Uncas and our friend, "Dave The Unknown Rocket Scientist".
Great food, great whiskeys, great hunting, and fantastic fellowship. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Uncle Si??? laugh

J/K, sounds like good times, congrats to Uncas!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, every once in a while things just work out. shocked

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That they do, Keith. grin

Uncas told me that he thought something was a bit odd when he pulled the trigger and realized that he never lost the sight picture in recoil. eek laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
congrats to him!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just plain neat all the way around. Congrats.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Great story, glad you had a great trip to our state!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Good for Uncas. That's a fine looking buck, and a nifty looking carbine. I expect that would work pretty well on hogs.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
CONGRATS! to Uncas and that's a BIG buck to me. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
The 130gr load was exactly what I had in mind for hogs and these East Texas Whitetails.
My youngest nephew is relatively small statured, so the carbine and those loads were designed to be just the ticket. grin

I also love shooting that thing. Just ask the guys at the last Sierra Vista Shindig. laugh

Bill (Uncas) is a fine shot with anything he picks up, so it was no surprise that he killed that buck.
Two heart shot does at over 350 yards isn't an accident, either.

Ed

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ken,
That was an average three year old, eight point buck where we were hunting. We kept chasing a 10 point (5x5 for you Westerners) that we nicknamed "Bullwinkle" but we could never get within 600 yards of him. Rough guess on him was 180 points. Big body, VERY wide rack, nice heavy beams, and moderately tall tines made him look out of proportion, hence the "Bullwinkle" nickname.
We saw probably twenty "shooters", i.e.; 8 pts +, heavy beams & tines, more than 20" spread, in the ten days we hunted, and a bunch more fork-horns, six-points, broken antlered 5x2's, 4x1's, and some skinny 8pts.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dang, wish I was seeing that many bucks smile I've seen a couple that will be damn nice in a couple years, but the two rumored big boys haven't showed yet.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like the buck and the 30-40 round tho I don't have any 30-40 chambered rifles at this time. Nice Shootin' Uncas

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That carbine is the result of a conspiracy between Uncas and my wife. She slipped my .30-30 barrel out of my gunsafe and Uncas had it rechambered to .30-40 Krag.
It had the sloppiest .30-30 chamber I have ever seen and no matter what loads I tried, I couldn't get it to shoot better than 4" groups at 100 yards.

Once it shed it's ugly duckling chamber, it became capable of an honest 1MOA if I do my part.

It's going to get a workout with some old Barnes 125gr XLC's I found to see what it will do with them, and I am looking for a good 200-210gr .308 cal cast bullet mould to see what the old guys were shouting about. grin

Ed

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Ken,
That was an average three year old, eight point buck where we were hunting. We kept chasing a 10 point (5x5 for you Westerners) that we nicknamed "Bullwinkle" but we could never get within 600 yards of him. Rough guess on him was 180 points. Big body, VERY wide rack, nice heavy beams, and moderately tall tines made him look out of proportion, hence the "Bullwinkle" nickname.
We saw probably twenty "shooters", i.e.; 8 pts +, heavy beams & tines, more than 20" spread, in the ten days we hunted, and a bunch more fork-horns, six-points, broken antlered 5x2's, 4x1's, and some skinny 8pts.

Ed
Ok,fine,but that is a BIG buck to me. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Them Kansas deer eat corn each summer. Seem to grow real big ones up in that country.

ED, picked up a model 98 Springfield 30/40 Sunday at an auction. Has been worked on some. Can't wait to shoot it and see what happens.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting this. It looks like a great time was had by all but that buck. It is still a surprise to see all that gray on Uncas, and on me when I get enough nerve to face a mirror. Good thing you haven't changed, right Ed?

I'm not cheap, I'm frugal.
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
That carbine is the result of a conspiracy between Uncas and my wife. She slipped my .30-30 barrel out of my gunsafe and Uncas had it rechambered to .30-40 Krag.
It had the sloppiest .30-30 chamber I have ever seen and no matter what loads I tried, I couldn't get it to shoot better than 4" groups at 100 yards.

Once it shed it's ugly duckling chamber, it became capable of an honest 1MOA if I do my part.

It's going to get a workout with some old Barnes 125gr XLC's I found to see what it will do with them, and I am looking for a good 200-210gr .308 cal cast bullet mould to see what the old guys were shouting about. grin

Ed

I'll throw that .309 IDEAL # 308 278 572 mold in with yer' ladles,........no idea about the original mission for this one,......I got it off a table at a Tombstone Gunshow. No GC, and the sample slug (cast from who knows what) in the mold blocks weighs in @ 199.6 gr,....carries LOTS of grease.

Call it a loaner, and try out your new "Single Pour Dumpster" on it.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Them Kansas deer eat corn each summer. Seem to grow real big ones up in that country.

ED, picked up a model 98 Springfield 30/40 Sunday at an auction. Has been worked on some. Can't wait to shoot it and see what happens.

Not just corn, this is milo, millet, wheat, and sunflower country. Toss in the wild grasses, good water, and proper cover, and you have the recipe for healthy deer.
The does that Uncas shot tasted like the finest grass & grain fed beef I have ever eaten.

You bringing that Model 98 up for the Spring East Texas Gathering? grin Maybe we'll have a .30-40 shoot.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by batch
Thanks for posting this. It looks like a great time was had by all but that buck. It is still a surprise to see all that gray on Uncas, and on me when I get enough nerve to face a mirror. Good thing you haven't changed, right Ed?

Nope, I'm just as youthful and handsome as I ever was. There is a conspiracy between Barbara and my barber. They seem to be throwing gray hair down on the barber shop floor and around the sink when I shave! grin

Ed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 63 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,295
Posts18,487,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.