Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam;
Hopefully you folks had a good Christmas and all things in your lives are where you'd hoped they'd be.

Thanks for this interesting thread Sam and thanks too to the members who've shared their everyday tools. It's makes for interesting viewing and reading to be sure.

We're lucky here in BC in that if we chose to chase bears in spring from April 01- June 15 and then bears again starting Sept. 01 until whitetails are done on Nov. 30th, then one can pack a hunting rifle for almost half the year.

That said, if we're camping and not crossing the medicine line to do so, cutting firewood or just out scouting there's going to be a heater in the pickup somewhere.

Usually it's going to be a .30-30 and/or a 12 gauge pump. The old standard pickup rifle was a much modified '77 made 94 with a Lyman tang sight. This spring I picked up a 336, again interestingly made in '77 and it will be the new standard truck gun - mainly because of the 2.5X Leupold works better for my 51 year old eyes. wink
[Linked Image]

The shotgun by the way is a Lakefield Mossberg 500AB which was made in Canada in the late '60's and into the '70's I believe. I bought it used in '74 if memory serves.

Most often they don't ride that way though, typically they'll be tucked into a saddle scabbard that rides across the transmission hump.
[Linked Image]

Anyway that's the way I've ended up packing the tools that go along just because.

All the best to you and your family in 2014 again Sam.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi Dwayne, Merry Christmas to you guys as well!

Things are fine here. Really warmed up nice the last couple days.

Read in the paper today that on Monday morning we had the coldest recorded temp for North America for the day.

This afternoon I was shedding clothes like crazy while we vaccinated yearlings. -34 ambient to +37F, felt like Summer....

grin

Back to the truck subject, looks like you have a nice selection!

My dad's heeler is getting pretty cocky lately, teenagers....

Student driver footage from this morning.

[Linked Image]

And this little feature has saved a lot of walking back to the farm to get another set of keys.
Damn dogs lock me out at least twice a week if not more. Whoever designs the power window and door locks obviously doesn't have dogs...

[Linked Image]

Here's to a great 2014!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam;
Thanks for the reply and the photos of the dogs in your feeding truck.

It very much reminds me of the story I sent your way awhile back.

So does the Heeler always get to drive and the other one get stuck in permanent shotgun? laugh

All the best to you folks again in 2014 Sam - I look forward to your farm, ranch and prairie photos.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
spare key is always in the wallet. no fancy pushbutton things here.....

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dwayne, the pot lickin' Rez hound always rides shotgun....grin

Don, that is a better way for sure. Our cowboy buddy(who gave my dad the heeler pup..) keeps a key hidden on his ranch pickup.

I used to do that just for hunting purposes. Really sucks to get back to the pickup and not have a damn key!

And besides, one of these days that button lock deal is gonna quit working.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Spare key on your person might be a good idea Sammo, especially if you are feeding alone and the dog locks you out of a truck idling along in first�..

Dont axe me how I know�... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Fuggin' Ford power locks, windows and dogs! Those switches are right on top of the arm rest to get trampled by muddy paws.

I've had the little dog roll the window up on the big dogs head. I think he did it on purpose.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Poobs, that would be be "Oh chit!"
You already know this...
#1 rule when feeding by yourself is always keep the window down so you can reach in and steer once in awhile.

Auto's suck if there is any snow or soft ground, they just sit and don't move. They are all auto's now so it sucks for that, otherwise I love the auto.

Hard packed snow and 4 low works great for caking a small herd where you don't get mobbed. Bale bed otherwise and that is way easier than little squares!

Round bales are so much easier.

MadMooner, the engineers of all these vehicles never take it into consideration.

Funny you mention the dogs head in the window. Same chit here, by accident... Damn dogs love to stick their head out the window.

If the window is down the heeler jumps out all the time if I walk off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam;
I learned the hard way - in the yard luckily - that sometimes these stupid auto locks will "auto lock" when they're not asked to do so.

A key on one's person is a must - either that or roll the window down as you say.

A buddy of mine related how a couple of his friends were out spotting for sheep locally in a new pickup - Ford or Dodge can't recall which.

Anyway they get out to glass a couple rams, pickup idling and of course the truck locks itself...... they had cell phones and were miraculously in cell range!

The phones were safely locked in the truck however.... cry

So after a bit of a hike back to a logging road, a trip into town and a few hours later - they were back in business.

Our eldest drives an '87 Cherokee that is manual everything and we can actually work on it.

Besides being able to actually find the spark plugs and such on it, we've discovered that there is definitely something endearing about a vehicle that doesn't desire to lock us out at the slightest provocation Sam. wink

Great topic again Sam and thanks all for the smiles this evening.

Dwayne

PS;
I'm thinking it's no accident the Heeler always gets to drive. Kinda like the one cat who always sleeps on my good wife's side of the bed and on her clothes - it's a power thing and they know it! laugh

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Always leave the vent windows unlatched! Of course I'm too cheap to buy anything new enough that it doesn't have vents!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You guys have some clean rigs. My little tracker has more crap in it then 6 of your guy's full sized trucks. Guy flagged us down today and he had ride on the hitch hauler with a buck I shot back to his stuck car so I could pull him out. Little 4 banger pulled him right out!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Besides being able to actually find the spark plugs and such on it, we've discovered that there is definitely something endearing about a vehicle that doesn't desire to lock us out at the slightest provocation Sam.

I hear you Dwayne, we don't even try and work on the diesels. Change the oil and that is about it.

We had my wife's 'new' car for about 4 months before I even bothered to pop the hood, can't even see the engine beneath all the crap!

CFVA, vent windows? What the hell are those?

grin

WTH, you made him ride on the hitch carrier? On a deer?

TFF!

That would make a great pic!

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/27/13.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sammo, I didn't learn the round bale thing till late in life�but I vividly remember feeding one for the first time.

Pard and I parked on a slant, cut the strings and gave it a kick, then looked at each other like we had just discovered loose women and whiskey!!!!!! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Poobs, hills work great if you don't have a bale bed!

3 years ago the bale pickup broke down and was outta commission for almost 2 weeks. No hills on the river bottom either.

It sucks trying to roll out 12-15 bales a day with the front wheel of a tractor, that and a lot of pushing by hand.

I talked my dad into buying another(spare) bale pickup 2 years ago.

You guessed it, they both broke down!

Luckily the dealership had a trade in they let us use while ours were in the shop.

I don't miss little squares, nice to load up 2000-3000 lbs in about 45 seconds!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't miss little squares either! Not a fan of flaking off big squares, but they can be loaded with a front end loader, and so are better than the little ones, but not as good as the round ones! grin

Every time I flaked off big squares of alfalfa hay I would get a mid-winter dose of hay fever! cry Benadryl time!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Allegra and Ventolin are good stuff also.

Alfalfa used to really bother me, not as bad as wheat though. Instant asthma attack from that chit!

Shoveling out the bottom of a bin is the absolute worst job.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Poobs, hills work great if you don't have a bale bed!

3 years ago the bale pickup broke down and was outta commission for almost 2 weeks. No hills on the river bottom either.

It sucks trying to roll out 12-15 bales a day with the front wheel of a tractor, that and a lot of pushing by hand.

I talked my dad into buying another(spare) bale pickup 2 years ago.

You guessed it, they both broke down!

Luckily the dealership had a trade in they let us use while ours were in the shop.

I don't miss little squares, nice to load up 2000-3000 lbs in about 45 seconds!

Sam whats wrong with pushing the bales for unrolling with your loader bucket ?

but when it comes to pushing them with the front wheel.....you need a 7045 Allis.....tire is just the right size.....grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Sammo, I didn't learn the round bale thing till late in life…but I vividly remember feeding one for the first time.

I hear that Obamacare is going to outlaw the use of round rolls, because even cows deserve a square meal each day!

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
spare key is always in the wallet. no fancy pushbutton things here.....

I always gave my hunting buddy a spare keys to the truck and camper to carry. Years later I learned he was leaving them in the camper. He is diabetic and I considered the spare keys to be a potentially life-saving pieces of equipment. (Still do, for that matter, his or mine.) After a stern talking to and grumbling on his part (which I never understood), he started carrying the keys.

Couple years later I drop him off to chase elk on foot while I drive about a mile south and park. I spot a string of ~80 elk, put a stalk on them and shoot a nice 6x6. Hunting buddy shows up and head back to the truck, a mile away, to get his pack so he can help with the gutting and hauling. Some time later he returns empty-handed. Seems his pack is locked in the truck and his keys are in his pack.

Of course this is the same guy that would sit in the passenger seat and ask me if I was going to get the gate.

City kid.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
truck gun for the day remington 600 in 6mm
[Linked Image]
yesterday afternoon out looking for some jackhoppers
[Linked Image]

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,935
Posts18,479,992
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.