Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Full size, single stack, DA/SA 9mm: S&W Model 39-2. Fits most hands like a glove. Nobody has made a prettier pistol, either.

[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well he'll. I might as well throw in my favorite.

I say Sig P210. Single stack full sized handgun. If you can't hit something with it, you better move to a 12ga.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never mind. Just realized you said double action. That rules out the p210, but I will still vote for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The HK P7-M8 is a fantastic pistol, but it is not double-action. As Shrapnel knows (but, Wild Bill, you may not), it is a "squeeze-cocking" single-action. Truly unique design.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Missed the DA spec on the OP. The P7 would still fit most of the requirements.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Seems that if a person couldn't master a Glock 19's trigger, they're going to have seizure-proportion-fits trying to shoot any da/sa mechanism. For a relative tyro to go from the least complex to the most complex seems counter-intuitive somehow--------------of course, I could be wrong.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gmoats
Seems that if a person couldn't master a Glock 19's trigger, they're going to have seizure-proportion-fits trying to shoot any da/sa mechanism. For a relative tyro to go from the least complex to the most complex seems counter-intuitive somehow--------------of course, I could be wrong.

You are exactly correct. It takes twice as much ammo (or more) to achieve the same level of proficiency with a Beretta 92F compared to a Glock.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
...You might want to consider an H&K P7 (PSP)....Pretty hard to have a ND with this mechansm. IME this is an accurate pistol....

Unless memory fails me, the PSP had the European mag release (alla P-38) and the designation changed to P7 when they went to a "standard" side-button mag release (alla 1911/Hi-Power)----but I'm not sure about that.

I do remember that they started showing up in America in 1980 because I got the very first one brought into the Kansas City market and it was designated PSP and had the European release. I wanted one because Ken Hackathorn was singing their praises----when I got mine, he told me to be very careful as they had had NUMEROUS ND's while reholstering the guns. The PSP's trigger was wide, in fact not significantly more narrow (narrower?) than the trigger guard and if you didn't consciously release your grip and decock the gun prior to reholstering, it was possible for the trigger to rub on the interior leather of the holster resulting in an ND. According to Ken, there were more than a couple of "blood stripes" earned by early PSP users---plus the bottom mag latch would and could be disengaged by rubbing against the seat of an automobile while holstered----IIRC there was a police shooting where the mag fell out of the pistol when drawn due to the seat-rub disengagement.

The other issue with the design was that the gas retardation system made the trigger extremely hot if repeated rapid fire was practiced. In those relatively early IPSC days, you could practice about three El Presidente's back to back before the trigger was too hot to shoot comfortably.

I'm guessing that with the side button mag release and training to decock prior to reholstering, it would make a dandy carry gun.

Last edited by gmoats; 12/31/13.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by frogman43
Try looking at a Sig Sauer P225, or the old Police version the Sig P6. I have a P6 and carry it frequently. Single stack 9mm and is a very easily carried weapon!

Nothing could be safer and easier to use than the Sig P225. I have one that is like new (not for sale) and it works every time. The hammer drop system can't be beat for safe handling and the trigger pull in SA mode is heavy enough that the chances of an accidental discharge is very slim. I think it holds eight in the mag and is very safe to carry with one chambered.

They can be found in the $400.00-450.00 price range.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Ever notice that we have different stock designs? Different legths of pull? Different this or that, on and on?

Go figure, we are not all clones.

Glocks do not fit everyone. Sacrelidge I know.

Nomex on, flames away.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's gotta be something wrong with you if a Glock don't fit ya. smirk

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by frogman43
Try looking at a Sig Sauer P225, or the old Police version the Sig P6. I have a P6 and carry it frequently. Single stack 9mm and is a very easily carried weapon!

Other than not being stainless, this fits the bill quite well. However, as Greg pointed out, if a G19 is too much, I can't see a P6 being more user friendly.

And as someone else said, some of the questions posed on this forum scare the beejeezus out of me!

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
There's gotta be something wrong with you if a Glock don't fit ya. smirk
As great of a pistol that a Glock is, their ergonomics just kinda suck. It's gotten better, but they still remain awfully blocky in the grip area. And their insistence on using synthetic magazines means their grip circumference will always be larger than guns with steel magazines. 9 & 40 Glock's fit my hands just fine but the large frame guns are downright chunky. For any caliber, the corresponding XD or M&P will feel much better in the hand.

But understand Glock is first and foremost a pistol designed for military use, so the synthetic magazines are there so replacements are cheap, and so corrosion is never an issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Wow, only one recommendation for a single stack. I would recommend one if the single stack 9mm 3rd generation S&W.

Well, Kevin - I did say "off the top of my head"....and it is rather pointy and lacking in room up there. blush

The 3913 is the only 3rd gen S&W pistol I am familiar with - and yes, it's another good option for the OP. Probably pretty easy to find one for a good price, still.
One of the finest pistols S&W ever made! Another single colum DA 3rd gen was the 908, which was a bargain gun where they skipped one milling cut and installed S&W sights instead of Novak's. Great gun, but not always the easiest to find. The Sigma took over as the cheap gun and the 908 & 910 went away.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
glocks don't fit people, you fit the glock. noone ever pics one up and says wow this feels great. instead you adapt to them. The fat grip is one of the secrets of the design IMO this makes the gun softer shooting.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
glocks don't fit people, you fit the glock. noone ever pics one up and says wow this feels great. instead you adapt to them.

That's hilarious.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
As great of a pistol that a Glock is, their ergonomics just kinda suck.

To you...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Glocks suck when I pick them up. They do not fit my hand.

'Nother vote here for the Browning BDA. One sweet shooting pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
As great of a pistol that a Glock is, their ergonomics just kinda suck.

To you...

Travis
Yep...

But it's all relative. I'm not saying they're not usable, they're just fine. I'm just saying that in comparison to other Tupperware pistols, they take a back seat to the others in the ergonomics department. I've carried Glock's before and had no problems.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't straddle the 10mm Glocker. Think my fingers have became shorter over the years.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,093
Posts18,483,005
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.