-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw a bottle of Macallan 25 at Specks a few months ago. I believe it was around $8 hundo if I remember correctly. Didn't Bond drink Macallan 50 in Skyfall? Can't imagine what a bottle of that would cost if it even exists.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by 257heaven
You will like it. I like just about every single malt I've tried.

I will begin partaking at halftime of the Rose Bowl�..I'm thinking Balvenie 12-yr.

I've never tried it. I'm kind of interested now. Good stuff I assume?

Oh hell yes. Tried it as suggested without ice and with a splash of water. And I like it! Imagine that! Trying to watch the Rose Bowl and figure out what my wife is cooking while drinking scotch and filling out another Longrifles, Inc. order form for a 260 Rem. I may be in WAY over my head as far as multi-tasking goes.

[Linked Image]

Now decrease the amount of water gradually until you add none to enjoy whiskey the way it should be... retard laugh

Hey. I resemble that remark. Now I'm wondering why I bought that ice cube tray that makes those big cubes.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
B
BamBam Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rovering
Neat with a splash of water, a small splash.

Both your Macallan and the suggested Balveenie are horrible gateway drugs to a horrible lifelong single malt addiction.

I started with them, and I now drink Laphroaig - the dirty brown heroin of whiskies.

I think I might be in trouble !

B
BamBam Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Hotload
Originally Posted by BamBam
Picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year old scotch today. I have never had it, I do like A single malt. Is this on anyone's list of a good scotch? How do you prefer your scotch rocks or neat? I will partake after dinner.

Teachers / Neat

I am going to try it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 year old scotch today. I have never had it, I do like A single malt. Is this on anyone's list of a good scotch? How do you prefer your scotch rocks or neat? I will partake after dinner.

For Christmas I was given a bottle of JW Black Label 12 year old blended Scotch and I cannot stand the stuff. In 76 years I have never acquired the taste.

It is sitting in my cabinet between a half full bottle of Black Jack and an almost empty bottle of Blanton�s. And it is starting to snow.

I am desperate.

Anybody want a Scotch Tom Collins? A Scotch Rickey or Scotch Sour?

I also got a bottle of Irish Cream.
You can put anything into Irish Cream. I found a list of 234 recipes for Irish Cream.

Boob Grabber recipe:
1/2 oz Bailey's� Irish cream
3/4 oz Johnnie Walker� Red Label Scotch whisky
Pour the Bailey's Irish cream into a shot glass. Top with the Scotch, and serve.

I wish my old drinking buddy was still alive. We always agreed if the booze got too bad before payday, he would hold a gun on me and I would take a drink. Then I would hold the gun on him�

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Okay, I am in the process of partaking. I like it, I do not think I am capable of deciphering notes.I am drinking it neat. I believe I can detect the sulfur notes that Cooper was referring to. I am going to try with a bit of water. One thing I know I do not enjoy is any scotch with any peat notes. One of my favorite single malts is the Dalmore 15year with the 12 year a very close second.

The sulfur off-notes are particular to those whiskies that use used Spanish sherry butts to age their whiskey and to add those fruity notes left over from the sherry. The problem is those butts are often treated with sulfur to prevent bacterial contamination of the butt/cask. This has created a shortage of good sherry butts. As a result, more scotch malts are using American used bourbon barrels for aging.

B
BamBam Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Okay, I am in the process of partaking. I like it, I do not think I am capable of deciphering notes.I am drinking it neat. I believe I can detect the sulfur notes that Cooper was referring to. I am going to try with a bit of water. One thing I know I do not enjoy is any scotch with any peat notes. One of my favorite single malts is the Dalmore 15year with the 12 year a very close second.

The sulfur off-notes are particular to those whiskies that use used Spanish sherry butts to age their whiskey and to add those fruity notes left over from the sherry. The problem is those butts are often treated with sulfur to prevent bacterial contamination of the butt/cask. This has created a shortage of good sherry butts. As a result, more scotch malts are using American used bourbon barrels for aging.

Thanks,great info.the sulfur has gotten to my head:) I'm going night night:) roger that,over and out!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

I wish my old drinking buddy was still alive. We always agreed if the booze got too bad before payday, he would hold a gun on me and I would take a drink. Then I would hold the gun on him�

A true friend like that is a rare thing.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think that you enablers just put Ardbeg on my must try soon list, and for that I'll put a real kink in your whiskey drinking:

Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey
http://www.connemarawhiskey.com/#/the-whiskey-introduction/

Trying to write in accents ala Kipling:

Scotch es fer sepping, but Oirish ish far dranking.

Last edited by Rovering; 01/01/14.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Vat 69, beeshes.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by JeffP
Neat
Balvenie 21 YO port wood

Balvenie 12 YO double wood is my favorite 12 year Scotch.

One of mine as well. My son gave me a Balvenie 15 year single barrel. I'll be cracking that baby real soon.

I just capped off my day with a dram of the aforementioned Balvenie 15 year single barrel. It is presented at 47% and is non-chill filtered (chill filtering removes flavor in favor of clarity - give me the flavor!). I won't keep you in suspense, it was absolutely delightful. I added 1 teaspoon of water and it rewarded me with a creamy, fruity (green fruit like granny smith apples and some citrus notes), with nice wood involvement. The nose is delicate and floral with a hint of vanilla. Definitely aged in a ex-bourbon cask. My kid did a great job picking this one out. I think I like it better than the Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood. Highly recommended to anyone that is open to a single malt that doesn't have peat in it. Just when I was really getting into bourbons, this has me excited about scotch again. Just damn delicious!

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/01/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think that you enablers just put Ardbeg on my must try soon list, and for that I'll put a real kink in your whiskey drinking:

358NormaFan gave me a bottle of Connemara last year and it was fine sipping... Hard to figure out why the Irish do not peat more...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds Great, wife just got back from town, said she stopped by the liquor store and tried to pick me up another bottle of the Balvenie 12yo doublewood, they were out but had some of the 17 year in. She 'almost' got it, (her words) but didn't... Dammit, I have been wanting to try it but never seen it in stock. I might have to stop by tomorrow...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

358NormaFan gave me a bottle of Connemara last year and it was fine sipping... Hard to figure out why the Irish do not peat more...

Agreed.

Connemara is the only one that either I or the friend that recommended it to me have been able to find, but it is good enough that I will try any other peated Irish whiskeys that I find.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Hi Art,

Yeah, it is surprising considering that there is plenty of peat in Ireland and the fact they still use it for heating in the coastal countryside. (At least my Irish cousin still does. Once you smell the pungent aroma of a peat or turf fire, you'll never forget it.) But the reason probably lies in the history of whiskey making in Ireland and the rebellious nature of the Irish. The English loved to tax the Irish and went after the small Irish distilleries. But the Irish distilleries were hard to find and the Irish were less than forthright about the quantities of spirit they produced. So, the English figured they would tax the malters rather than the distillers. In response, the rebellious Irish just changed their mash bill and used unmalted barley in lieu of or in addition to their malted barley. (The peat is introduced to the spirit through it's use as a fuel to dry the malt. So no malt means no peat.) The use of unmalted barley in addition to their use of triple distillation, are what characterizes and distinguishes most Irish whiskey from most scotches (there are a few exeptions).

Speaking of barley, when I was in Scotland in 2007 we stayed at a B&B on Black Isle which had a field of barley. We woke up the next day just after sunrise to a field of gold (just like the song) that was breath taking. As I walked out to take in the sight, I was greeted with the smell of that field of barley, damp with dew. It was as sweet and intoxicating as the spirit they make with it. Sometimes when nosing a delicate whiskey like the Balvenie 15 year, I get a whiff of that sweet smell of the fields of gold.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/01/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

For Christmas I was given a bottle of JW Black Label 12 year old blended Scotch and I cannot stand the stuff. In 76 years I have never acquired the taste.

It is sitting in my cabinet between a half full bottle of Black Jack and an almost empty bottle of Blanton�s. And it is starting to snow.

I am desperate.

Anybody want a Scotch Tom Collins? A Scotch Rickey or Scotch Sour?

I also got a bottle of Irish Cream.
You can put anything into Irish Cream. I found a list of 234 recipes for Irish Cream.

Boob Grabber recipe:
1/2 oz Bailey's� Irish cream
3/4 oz Johnnie Walker� Red Label Scotch whisky
Pour the Bailey's Irish cream into a shot glass. Top with the Scotch, and serve.

I am happy to report that Irish Cream does an excellent job of killing the vile taste of the Scotch.

Beam Me Up Scotty
Drink Type: Cocktail
Ingredients
1 oz. Banana Liqueur (Uck! No thanks)
1 oz. Kahlua
1 oz. Irish Cream
1 oz. Scotch

About the peat. Our farm in Wisconsin had a small peat bog down by the river.
It was a dairy farm and our peat was full of cow$hit.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Where the hell is Mathman ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had some Talisker a while back, was my first experience with scotch. It kinda tasted like iodine (mediciny) a little bit and took me about an hour and half to drink it. With that said, i'd try it again.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Isn't it whisky?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 64 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,943
Posts18,519,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.