Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Any opinions on the Terra lineup vs the old Conquest line?

I've ordered a Terra 4-12x42 to try.. Hope its as good as the old Conquest lineup

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think that the Terra is, quality wise, somewhere between the Leupold VX-1 & the VX-2. So, no, the Terra falls short of the old Conquest, which was as good or maybe better than the old VX-III.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I just took my Terra 3x9x42 to the range. It's better than the leupold 1 and 2. I've not owned the Conquest. I liked the clarity and eye relief. I felt like I got my money's worth. That aren't made in China, they are assembled in Japan.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I know a scope guru and had sent him a PM. He even runs great glass on his 22's and puts a lot of study time into glass - his comments were as follows:
Most people are bashing the Terra line for not being assembled in the US like the Conquest line. Optically, the Terra has a tad better resolution, as the Conquest has a prescription that is approximately 10 years old. The Terra is also put through the same recoil and waterproof tests. The eye relief is a tad shorter. I personally don't think you can go wrong with the Terra or the Conquest. IMO, the German design and engineering combined with Japanese quality and precision may make the scope a great bargain.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When there's a 1" Meopta Meostar scope available, particularly a 3-9x for the same money as a Terra, why would anyone want or buy a Terra?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Jg, you mind posting a link for me where the meopta is the same price as a terra? I was looking at a terra as well.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Is it German glass in the terra, or Asian?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the Meopro is the 1 inch line, Meostar 30mm, nevertheless I agree that based on my example of one Meostar and 3 Conquests that the Meostar glass is hands down far better than the Conquest glass. I don't know about the Meopro.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The 1" Meopta is the one I'm referring to

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I heard a lot of negatives on the forum about the Terras and was nervous until I took it to the range. Clarity and resolution was excellent and the scope preformed well. I got it from Doug for great deal. Jury still out on reliability, but I like what I see so far. Doug had demos for $329 last month. I'm happy so far.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
When there's a 1" Meopta Meostar scope available, particularly a 3-9x for the same money as a Terra, why would anyone want or buy a Terra?

What he said.

Dave

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought 2 new 3x9 Terra's and was not impressed. Sold them both and bought 2 more 3x9x40 Conquests. The eye box seemed smaller on the Terra. The 3.5x10x44 Conquest also seemed less forgiving to me than the 3x9.

Who is John Galt?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was looking at a pair of the Terra binos yesterday at Academy , Glass looked pretty good, but the build Quality felt cheap. Almost toy like.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
I was looking at a pair of the Terra binos yesterday at Academy , Glass looked pretty good, but the build Quality felt cheap. Almost toy like.

Not to hijack this thing, but Lord, you want to talk about some quality problems, get a pair of Leupolds.

I've got two new pairs, one a loaner set of Acadia's and the other a set of McKinley's. Both fall purchases and both have to go back to customer service because they are literally falling apart.

They aren't truck binos, but stay on my harnesses. I was sorely disappointed in not only how they held up, but performance. I didn't have high expectations for the Acadia's, and they lived up to my low standards for them. The right barrel has serious halo even in low light in the bottom half and they won't focus.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I need some inexpensive binos on the ranch and I hoped the Leupolds would meet that need.

I'm going to give the Terra's a try to see how they do since I love the Conquest line and was so disappointed when they redesigned that series.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dtspoke

Not to hijack this thing, but Lord, you want to talk about some quality problems, get a pair of Leupolds.

I've got two new pairs, one a loaner set of Acadia's and the other a set of McKinley's. Both fall purchases and both have to go back to customer service because they are literally falling apart.

They aren't truck binos, but stay on my harnesses. I was sorely disappointed in not only how they held up, but performance. I didn't have high expectations for the Acadia's, and they lived up to my low standards for them. The right barrel has serious halo even in low light in the bottom half and they won't focus.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I need some inexpensive binos on the ranch and I hoped the Leupolds would meet that need.

I'm going to give the Terra's a try to see how they do since I love the Conquest line and was so disappointed when they redesigned that series.

Curious what problem you had with the McKinleys?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

When you twist out the left side eyecup is rotates at an angle. The center focus adjustment only rotates about 2/3.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I've been really happy with my Weaver Grand Slam binos, Made in Japan, built like a tank.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

When you twist out the left side eyecup is rotates at an angle. The center focus adjustment only rotates about 2/3.

Been tempted lately to buy a pair of Chinese made ED binos, the more I read about them the less I'm interested

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 63 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,480
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.