Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I may have seen the technique in Gunsmith Kinks, but know for certain it was in an old Finn Aagaard article. IIRC, Finn mentioned how Phil Shoemaker had used the technique on Old Ugly.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Some CHF barrels, like those made by FN, have a tapered bore at the muzzle end to increase accuracy. If you shorten them you lose the taper. Depending on whether the bore behind them is still tighter than the rest of the barrel you could or could not have a change in accuracy.

Steyr does the same. Saco M60 barrels had a marked crimp at the muzzle, they actually shot better once that wore out. The crimp was there to induce a "cone of fire".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MTMAN
My dad had a 20 gauge single shot Stevens shot gun. He must have stuck the barrel in the mud or something. He took a shot at a pheasant out behind the house one day and blew about 6 inches off the end of the barrel. Dad cut the banana peel off with a hacksaw, and filed the rough cut smooth. Did not seem to affect accuracy at all. Still have that shot gun and it still is a accurate at ever.

I've heard that shorter shotgun barrels will throw tighter patterns due to being stiffer... whistle

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I've heard that shorter shotgun barrels will throw tighter patterns due to being stiffer... whistle [/quote]

I know mine does.

tighter patterns are good right?

right?

Cowardice is the greatest pandemic that has ever affected mankind.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Theoretically, wouldn�t shortening an accurate barrel only help? Shorter barrels are stiffer. The only benefit to bullet performance from longer barrels is velocity.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I didn't say it wouldn't work dumbschidt. In fact, I did say that it WOULD. I stated that a Manson Tool would work much mo'betta. Spending twenty or thirty bucks to obtain an 11-degree crown at a perfect 90 axis to the bore as it exits the tube is a smart thing to do, 100% of the time.

Edit:

I'd also like to re-state that cutting off an accurate Tikka barrel 2in don't strike me as overly bright.

The only crown you could polish is on a guy's dong.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I'd also like to re-state that cutting off an accurate Tikka barrel 2in don't strike me as overly bright.

I agree 100%. Unless the guy wants a shorter barrel.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Billy,

I remember Finn's article well! And Old Ugly is still shooting well enough to whack bears.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I may have seen the technique in Gunsmith Kinks, but know for certain it was in an old Finn Aagaard article. IIRC, Finn mentioned how Phil Shoemaker had used the technique on Old Ugly.

You are correct goat, I have cut off dozens of barrels, including cutting the 28" bbl of my 22lr 40X target rifle back to 18", and in every case the accuracy was as good or better than the original. So long as the cut is square to the barrel, or filed that way, the crown doesn't seem to matter. It is only there to protect the muzzle from being damaged..
By the way the 40X was, as is, a 1/2 moa rifle after being chopped off.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What is the offical name of that Brownells tool? The search function on their website totally sucks.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
45-degree muzzle/cylinder chamfering cutter.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recall them talking about cutting the barrels back to a specific length in story about "the Houston Warehouse" can't recall the magical length, somewhere around 20 3/4" or something like that. But point is even if they had an accurate barrel they cut it back to their magic length. If the guy wants a shorter barrel because it will work better for him overall I say go for it and good luck. Don't forget to let us know how it turned out.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The 20" barrel on my model 70 compact is the best thing about it. Cut that barrel back and let the good times roll.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've shortened alot of barrels by the hacksaw/round headed bolt method over the years. All have shot as well and many better than before. I like to lightly score the barrel with a tubing cutter first, then cut a little forward and file back carefully to the mark to insure the muzzle is square.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Great_Wazoo
I live in the SE and hunt either in the jungle or from a stand. A short rifle is often very handy. At one time I was going to shorten a Tikka T3 stainless from 22.4� to 20". I was advised by a friend that you should not do a cut and crown on a Hammer Forged barrel due to variable stresses caused by the manufacturing process. He stated that accuracy would be a real crap shoot regardless of the crown job.

Is this a real potential problem? Do any of you have experience with shortening a Hammer Forged barrel?

Regards,

GW

I'd have no concern over accuracy, it may even shoot better via being stiffer. My concern would be overall balance and handling of the rifle. If the rifle balances well cut at 20" vs balances poorly at 20" would be my only thoughts. I've seen it cut both ways where a shorter barrel made a marked improvement and where a shorter barrel moved the balance point too far. My current favorite rifle is light and sports a 20" barrel. It handles like a dream in close quarters, yet has accuracy in spades. If given a choice to have this same rifle balance as well with the barrel at 22 1/2" vs its current 20", I'd stick with the current shorter length as it has proven itself too handy.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hacksawing on a $500 rifle.....c'mon, he's not looking to win the Olympics.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Why not hacksaw the thing if you can finish the job? There's nothing wrong with chopping a barrel or rasping a stock to make a weapon more functional. We're not talking about collectibles here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
because a Sawzall is quicker...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The simple answer to shorting a barrel is that the barrel usually shows a improvement in accuracy.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are worried about balance simply cut it off an inch at a time.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (35, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.