Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Peiter:

The time we spend in NW Namibia (between Kamanjab and Otjo) always falls sometime between 1 May and 30 Sept. The only time we haven't experienced mopane bees was the year it was so cold there was snow in southern Namibia. Otherwise if the afternoon temps where warm enough we've always had them to some extent and the warmer the worse they are.

Their presence seems to be more temp dependent than calender dependent.

Edited to add: As I mentioned previously, in 2011 when I was in Natal (KZN) near Pongola in South Africa from the first week in Sep to the last week in Oct never saw a single one.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although already mentioned, I can't stress how cold it gets riding in the back of a vehicle at first and last light, or during the night.

After a couple of trips, i finally ended up taking clothes more suitable for a british winter rather than an RSA summer!

A watch cap, wool gloves were a god send, while I took a compressable insulated synthetic down type jacket as an "over coat"..Once the vehicle stops, you can take all this off and revert your normal bush wear..I found a light fleece jacket was also handy, although not very thornproof.

As far as pants goes, another vote for the surplus German army moles skin trousers. Another althernative would be surplus British Army Lightweight trousers. This are plain green poly cotton and are lighter /softer material than the German ones and are usually cheap as chips in a surplus shop.

A couple of other tips, make sure everybody has their own bino's (8x30s are fine) and also a small torch each ( I use the modern high power LED type)and carry it everywhere. If the vehicle breaks down in the evening, a torch is a godsend when walking back through the bush. Its also generally handy around the lodge ect.

If you get the chance to go on a night drive, thats well worth the extra $$... Spot lighting animals in the bush is a heck of an experience.

Regards,

Peter

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess I should explain about the trip, as a thank you to those helpful replies, and to encourage others that it's do-able.

My hunting partner came back from a hunting trip to Namibia, his trip was very successful and interesting, but the wives sight seeing trip with old "Uncle Fredie" was much more interesting.

Steve brought back a couple of SA 4x4 magazines, with their adds for camping gear. And Sue's pictures of a Rest Camp with it's chalets and get this camp sites . So I Googled "camping in Namibia".

I retire just before we leave, but my wife still has to work, so it's only a three week trip. But we've planned three days in Damaland and three days in Etosha.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,930
Posts18,518,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.